Author Topic: "I get it, I just don't like it"  (Read 1452 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: "I get it, I just don't like it"
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2017, 07:08:01 PM »
To be fair, Pandora is a teeny bit more complicated than that. You can actually get it to show you what features of a track it is using to determine similarity.

For example, Safety Dance by Men Without Hats lists the following:

electronica influence
a subtle use of vocal harmony
mild rhythmic syncopation
extensive vamping
a vocal-centric aesthetic
major key tonality
prominent use of synth

As long as you use thumbs-up and thumbs-down extensively, you can build a station that follows your preferences quite well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Genome_Project

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2017, 07:32:33 PM »
I tried obsessively for years.  I broke the algorithm so badly I made a station that ended up playing the same 5 songs over and over again.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2017, 10:12:41 PM »
I tried obsessively for years.  I broke the algorithm so badly I made a station that ended up playing the same 5 songs over and over again.

Lol. If it's been a few years since you did that, I think they may have improved a little since then.

My station plays mostly trance and 80s pop. I review my thumbs from time to time.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2017, 10:29:01 AM »
(C)rap music. Rhythmic chanting might require some modicum of talent, I've never tried it.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2017, 08:24:21 PM »
(C)rap music. Rhythmic chanting might require some modicum of talent, I've never tried it.
It's poetry. A specific style of performance of poetry. If you don't like poetry (like me) you generally can't appreciate hip hop.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2017, 07:45:20 AM »
It's poetry. A specific style of performance of poetry. If you don't like poetry (like me) you generally can't appreciate hip hop.
It's a float turd of poetry.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2017, 09:48:30 PM »
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2017, 02:46:49 AM »
Preloaded bias noted.

Have you actually listened to any hip hop? It sounds to me like you haven't.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2017, 10:59:35 AM »
Preloaded bias noted.

Have you actually listened to any hip hop? It sounds to me like you haven't.
Dafuq? What leads you to that conclusion. I don't hate what I've never heard. And I don't hate crap music, I just have utter disdain for it.

personate-rain