Author Topic: Church wants to establish their own police force  (Read 424 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Church wants to establish their own police force
« on: February 22, 2017, 09:46:57 AM »
This is something I just don't understand
http://abc3340.com/news/local/briarwood-presbyterian-church-seeks-lawmakers-approval-to-establish-police-force

Briarwood Presbyterian Church in Vestavia Hills is trying to establish its own police force.

The move requires approval from state lawmakers. The bill, sponsored by Rep. Arnold Mooney (R-Shelby County) cleared its first major hurdle Wednesday. The House Public Safety Committee gave its OK.

Briarwood Presbyterian Church calls this a way to create a safer campus in a fallen world.

Some lawmakers argue allowing a private church to have its own police force could begin a slippery slope.

“What do we do when other church affiliates come and ask for the same thing?” questioned Rep. Mary Moore (D-Birmingham). “They're not a college. They're a church and they're a church asking for police jurisdiction.”
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
Re: Church wants to establish their own police force
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 09:50:31 AM »
Oppose Sharia law!  Only Christianity should be allowed to violate the separation of church and state!
Banned from both Hacker News and the xkcd forum.

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 10:44:01 AM »
The megachurches often employ a bunch of off-duty officers on Sundays to direct traffic and handle internal security. This is expensive. Most megachurches are also plagued with oddball "hangers-on" who are looking for cash assistance, food, or just attention. They need to be dealt with "discreetly", as they scare off parishioners. I know one large church whose leader always has an armed bodyguard at a discreet distance.

This is likely the motivation for the request for quasi-official status.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 12:47:54 PM »
The megachurches often employ a bunch of off-duty officers on Sundays to direct traffic and handle internal security. This is expensive. Most megachurches are also plagued with oddball "hangers-on" who are looking for cash assistance, food, or just attention. They need to be dealt with "discreetly", as they scare off parishioners. I know one large church whose leader always has an armed bodyguard at a discreet distance.

This is likely the motivation for the request for quasi-official status.
Yep, private security, not crazy; private police, pretty crazy and a bad precedent.  Up until I saw that they want their own jail I was willing to consider it, that just seems like a recipe for accountable abuse of power. 

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 01:59:56 PM »
Many colleges and universities have their own police forces.  Is this so different?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 02:36:17 PM »
Many colleges and universities have their own police forces.  Is this so different?

The colleges have the population of a town . . . .
The two local colleges with police forces - ODU has a student body of 25,000 for example, NSU has a student body of 7,000.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 02:44:13 PM »
As I understand it, most colleges with a police force that has actual police power are state run organizations.  Most don't run afoul of the first amendment either.   Policing is pretty unambiguously a function of the government. 

Do colleges typically have their own holding cells?

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 02:47:47 PM »
As I understand it, most colleges with a police force that has actual police power are state run organizations.  Most don't run afoul of the first amendment either.   Policing is pretty unambiguously a function of the government. 

Do colleges typically have their own holding cells?

ODU and NSU are both state run schools
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 09:31:49 PM »
As I understand it, most colleges with a police force that has actual police power are state run organizations.

I'm not sure how true that is.  I know that in Connecticut there are several private Universities whose police departments have full statewide enforcement powers (at least Yale University, New Haven University, and Fairfield University — all private).  The same is true of (off the top of my head) Brown, Harvard, and Duke.  According to Wikipedia, 73% of private universities have their own police forces.

To be clear, I'm not sure that expanding private police forces is a good idea; but it's not unprecedented.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 10:54:49 PM »
SLU (local Jesuit university) and their attachments all use licensed security officers. WashU (private nonreligious college) has actual campus police.

YMMV.
HIISSSSSSSS

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 01:34:00 AM »
Make 'em hire mercenaries, like the church has always done.

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 09:38:48 AM »
As I understand it, most colleges with a police force that has actual police power are state run organizations.

I'm not sure how true that is.  I know that in Connecticut there are several private Universities whose police departments have full statewide enforcement powers (at least Yale University, New Haven University, and Fairfield University — all private).  The same is true of (off the top of my head) Brown, Harvard, and Duke.  According to Wikipedia, 73% of private universities have their own police forces.

To be clear, I'm not sure that expanding private police forces is a good idea; but it's not unprecedented.
I'm not overly surprised that I'm wrong.