Author Topic: Movies I just don't get, or don't get the love for...  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Movies I just don't get, or don't get the love for...
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2017, 03:54:00 PM »
I think that styles have just changed so much that it is hard to get into old movies. . . .I like a lot of 80s movies and have to wonder how kids today look at them.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2017, 04:10:01 PM »
Probably a bit controversial, but hey:

Bladerunner
Shawshank Redemption (well, its OK, but I think the Green Mile is better)
Its a Wonderful Life
Terminator
Hidden Tiger Crouching Dragon
Just about all the Bond films

It's a Wonderful Life is a crime against film. Gawddddd.
HOW DARE YOU

Actually, it is a *super* corny movie and I have to admit that when I watch it now I'm not 100% sure if I'm enjoying it ironically or just enjoying it. It's probably some kind of combination. But it's just so... silly and over the top.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2017, 04:12:43 PM »
I think that styles have just changed so much that it is hard to get into old movies. . . .I like a lot of 80s movies and have to wonder how kids today look at them.
Unwatchable garbage for the most part.
Watch Bridesmaids or Horrible Bosses then watch Stripes or  Caddy Shack.

I love 80s movies too, but I have to admit, it's only because I have history with them.

The other part of this is that we shouldn't go thinking that future generations will simply be dismissive.
I have to think back to how many movies from the 40's through the 60's are considered enduring classics and compare that to the number of films actually made in those years.
It would be greedy of us to expect a better average.
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2017, 04:23:52 PM »
I feel like the difference is way more stark with TV than it is with movies due to the whole shift away from LCD programming in the 90s and early 2000s (well in fairness LCD is still around, it's just that not everything is LCD anymore). Otherwise though I'm just not sure that mediocre stuff from eras past tends to age well, like, ever, and while I realize that a lot of people loved Stripes and Caddyshack and Splash and Risky Business and so on, those just aren't on that level. Groundhog Day OTOH still holds up really well IMO.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2017, 04:37:14 PM »
It's easy to dismiss it all as Damn Millennials With No Attention Span, but I watched Beverly Hills Cop not too long ago.  Eddie Murphy drives up to a warehouse (or bar or whatever), parks the car, gets out of the car, walks up to the warehouse door, opens the door, walks in.  There's NO REASON to show all of that. You can do exactly the same thing by showing him pulling up next to the place and cut to him walking in the door (cue 45 year old watching the new cut "Wait, how the hell did he get to the door? Did he teleport? Where's the car parked? I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT'S GOING ON!!!!).  It feels glacially slow, just like most things more than about 20 years old do.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 04:40:00 PM by amysrevenge »
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2017, 05:58:47 PM »
I feel like the difference is way more stark with TV than it is with movies due to the whole shift away from LCD programming in the 90s and early 2000s (well in fairness LCD is still around, it's just that not everything is LCD anymore). Otherwise though I'm just not sure that mediocre stuff from eras past tends to age well, like, ever, and while I realize that a lot of people loved Stripes and Caddyshack and Splash and Risky Business and so on, those just aren't on that level. Groundhog Day OTOH still holds up really well IMO.

Liquid Crystal Display?

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2017, 06:24:35 PM »
Liquid Crystal Display?

Liquid common denominator.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2017, 06:36:53 PM »
It's easy to dismiss it all as Damn Millennials With No Attention Span, but I watched Beverly Hills Cop not too long ago.  Eddie Murphy drives up to a warehouse (or bar or whatever), parks the car, gets out of the car, walks up to the warehouse door, opens the door, walks in.  There's NO REASON to show all of that. You can do exactly the same thing by showing him pulling up next to the place and cut to him walking in the door (cue 45 year old watching the new cut "Wait, how the hell did he get to the door? Did he teleport? Where's the car parked? I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT'S GOING ON!!!!).  It feels glacially slow, just like most things more than about 20 years old do.

...which, as you illustrate, it is.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2017, 06:45:51 PM »

Is it?

What is gained by the loooooong slooooow method, in an ostensibly fast-paced action/comedy movie?  Other than hearing more of the pop song in the soundtrack maybe?  It's not a moment of tension in the film, so it's not drawing anything out for effect - it's just editors not having advanced in their craft to the point where they are today.  It is about the efficient transfer of information - including both plot and character details and mood/emotion.  In addition to not showing anything interesting about the plot or the character, lingering on the mundane park and walk doesn't add anything to the mood or emotion in the action/comedy of the film.

(And I ain't no durn Millennial anyway, I was well into my adulthood by the turn of the century - I just don't automatically think older = better.)
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2017, 07:49:06 PM »

Is it?

What is gained by the loooooong slooooow method, in an ostensibly fast-paced action/comedy movie?  Other than hearing more of the pop song in the soundtrack maybe?  It's not a moment of tension in the film, so it's not drawing anything out for effect - it's just editors not having advanced in their craft to the point where they are today.  It is about the efficient transfer of information - including both plot and character details and mood/emotion.  In addition to not showing anything interesting about the plot or the character, lingering on the mundane park and walk doesn't add anything to the mood or emotion in the action/comedy of the film.

(And I ain't no durn Millennial anyway, I was well into my adulthood by the turn of the century - I just don't automatically think older = better.)

I totally agree about the editors being more efficient today and think it a great thing and am also not a millennial.

Offline nameofthewave

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2017, 04:13:46 AM »
Probably a bit controversial, but hey:

Bladerunner
Shawshank Redemption (well, its OK, but I think the Green Mile is better)
Its a Wonderful Life
Terminator
Hidden Tiger Crouching Dragon
Just about all the Bond films
Your wrong about Bladerunner and Shawshank but the I agree with the rest.  They're all fair to midling but folks love them out of proportion to the quality.

I do like Bladerunner, the visuals and soundtrack are stunning but I thought the plot was a bit lightweight. Maybe I need to watch it again.

Is it?

I totally agree about the editors being more efficient today and think it a great thing and am also not a millennial.

Personally I think it is a stylistic thing as well, not just a matter of efficiency. Sometimes those long drawn out bits help to build tension and/or atmosphere for some kinds of film. I have to admit I hadn't really noticed the change in editing techniques until the SGU discussion a few months back, which I guess is good direction/editing in a sense as you are not supposed to notice these things if it is done well.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2017, 04:34:55 AM »
It has been observed that I don't like Marvel movies - except for the ones that I have seen.

This is kind of true. I more object to the whole idea of Marvel movies than any individual examples thereof.

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2017, 04:17:56 PM »
Fast and the furious movies.

Offline postwaste

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2017, 07:15:18 PM »
Gone With the Wind. Racist, sexist love letter to the Confederacy. I hate it more than Birth Of A Nation.

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2017, 12:11:39 PM »
Superhero movies
I only ever read comic books when I was in college. I had roommates with huge collections and we usually had no television (if you didn't have cable there was one very local channel), so it was a decent way to pass the time. I also worked for a Comic book publisher for a year or so, but never got very interested.
The only one I really like is "Batman the Movie" from 1968.

Star Wars. The first movie was fairly entertaining (though much of the acting dialog and editing is pretty bad), the rest just never did anything for me.

Anything by Kevin Smith other than Clerks.  Clerks was terrific. His need to inject everything subsequent with Jay and Silent Bob comes of as desperate.

The Lego Movie. I wanted to stab my eyes about 20 minutes into it.

Hyper-kinetic CGI movies. I keep seeing sequences where characters are fighting and falling from skyscrapers and the like and somehow not only surviving, but able to walk away (or run without pain) with hair looking pretty good.

personate-rain
personate-rain