Author Topic: Episode #607  (Read 1259 times)

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Episode #607
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 12:05:36 PM »
That is an interesting point, about both the sociology of tobacco use, and the misunderstanding of political labels in American politics.

I think if you look carefully at the history of PR and lobbying tactics employed by tobacco companies it backs up Cara's point.  The "Take Back Your Freedom" rallying cry was part of a deliberate marketing campaign in the 80s and 90s that was cynically presented to the public as a grass-roots political movement.

It is cynical alright. The American cowboy that just wants to be a dick and act uncivil by imposing themselves on others is encouraged to kill themselves by voluntarily poisoning themselves. "Smoke this suicide stick to make a statement about freedom!"

The fact that this approach worked at all says something about the political leanings of people against smoking bans, and how those attitudes can be exploited to delay laws and regulations.

Someone who whines because they can't do what they want, without thinking about how their action affects other people, is a liberal. Liberalism is associated with being young and not acknowledging your place in society. Conservatives are more law-and-order oriented and probably care more about their health. American neo-liberalism is basically the most vapid kind of right-wing—those people ain't right, if you know what I mean, but they definitely think they are.

Then again with things such as recreational drugs, libertarians believe that people have a right to disobey civil law when it does not directly affect others. You'll never see a libertarian complaining that they can't smoke some illegal substance in public. With freedom comes the responsibility to not be stupid.

Libertarianism tends to be more center-left than people realize. Who is going to protect my access to clean air, or even my right to own property and have physical security and privacy? Certainly no capitalist or corporation. The government has to be exist to do what selfish people could never be trusted to do. American politics is more historically rooted in Left Libertarianism than contemporaries acknowledge.

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 09:21:25 AM »
Maybe I live in some technological house on the hill, but I don’t think I’ve seen a hard drive with an activity light in at least 10 years.

I haven't gotten to this segment of the show yet, but the activity indicator for the HDD is usually located on the chassis, not the HDD itself, and is controlled by the mainboard. For example, for a laptop it may look like this (the rightmost one, with the three platters):

Also, all of my external hard drives have an activity LED.
Mooohn!

Offline gebobs

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 09:42:04 AM »
It doesn't sound like any of the rogues have much to worry about tinnitus.  I have been hearing squealing A, two octaves above middle ever since chemo... about the level of an American voice.  But Siemens keeps it at bay, more or less, thank you very much German Technology.  No need to wait for drugs.  And since it comes packaged with hearing enhancement, these hearing ais have been particularly good for me.

The Siemens hearing aids reduce the tinnitus?!!! I would like to hear more about this. I have had tinnitus for years and it's not getting any better.

Sadly, my favorite band is coming to town this weekend and I told the wife that I think I shouldn't go. She suggested I get some really good earplugs. Does anyone know about these things? I'm afraid if I choose the wrong ones, they might be woo tech and I don't want to risk making the tinnitus any worse.

Offline stands2reason

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 11:43:00 AM »
Is there a problem with the E-Mail server? I am getting the following message from the Google/GMail delivery system:

Delivery incomplete
There was a temporary problem delivering your message to wtn@theskepticsguide.org. Gmail will retry for 20 more hours. You'll be notified if the delivery fails permanently.
The response from the remote server was:
Missed upload deadline (600.00s) (state SENT_MESSAGE)

This is happening for both the info and the wtn email address. And the the submission form seems to hang indefinitely.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 11:43:40 AM »
It doesn't sound like any of the rogues have much to worry about tinnitus.  I have been hearing squealing A, two octaves above middle ever since chemo... about the level of an American voice.  But Siemens keeps it at bay, more or less, thank you very much German Technology.  No need to wait for drugs.  And since it comes packaged with hearing enhancement, these hearing ais have been particularly good for me.

The Siemens hearing aids reduce the tinnitus?!!! I would like to hear more about this. I have had tinnitus for years and it's not getting any better.

Sadly, my favorite band is coming to town this weekend and I told the wife that I think I shouldn't go. She suggested I get some really good earplugs. Does anyone know about these things? I'm afraid if I choose the wrong ones, they might be woo tech and I don't want to risk making the tinnitus any worse.

No woo with ear plugs.  The clever rubber sort do a great job but can be uncomfortable for a day at work.  The foam ones work reasonably well and are easy to use, but everyone can tell you're wearing them, but I use them a bit.  The helicopter  pilots  worked with whilst guiding generally had them under their grade five headphones/sound protectors.  I am big fan of good grade 5 ear muff sound silencers at work, but iyou migt be mistaken for the sound engineer at a concert!   

The Siemans I have have a little sound like bacon frying.  It disappears in seconds but does a job on my tinnitus.  Not cheap, but no decent hearing aids are.
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 01:58:03 PM »
We've had tinnitus threads before and Moa described how the sound cancelling worked in his aids, and the guy who killed himself for tinnitus insanity.

I've got a constant 8000 Hz whine, doc told me to listen to earbuds.  White noise helps a little.  I always had foam plus muffs when I was in the engine room... I'd probably be a lot worse now if I hadn't.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline mpcookson

• Brand New
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 02:35:13 PM »
I found the hard drive light discussion interesting -- in that you hadn't ever heard of it before.  This kind of data exfiltration has been around for at least 20 years, since that's when I started working on similar things in college.  The best is to use the processor or GPU (in the old days it was the FPU) to do an intensive calculation causing either its power consumption or the fan to ramp up and then monitoring the power changes to the system (which can be from another room since circuits are typically shared across many outlets).  You cycle these calculations to pass ones and zeros.  With signal processing, error detection/correction, and a lot of time, you can slowly get data out without anyone noticing, and without using the network, which is easily monitored.

Also, having a new computer with new software is difficult to trust since you don't know what was installed on it at the factory (factories get infected), or along the way from the factory to you (third parties intercepting the hardware and installing their own chips or software), and even if you write your code to run on it, you can't trust that the compiler you're using, unless you wrote it from scratch too, isn't inserting malicious code into your program.  You're left with decompiling your program to check it for unexpected routines, which means that you have to trust your decompiling tool!  The circle of trust, in these situations, is very small indeed.

All of this is very unlikely for the average user/hacker, but not out of the realm of possibility for nations.

Sleep well!

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 08:11:42 PM »
Is there a problem with the E-Mail server? I am getting the following message from the Google/GMail delivery system:

Delivery incomplete
There was a temporary problem delivering your message to wtn@theskepticsguide.org. Gmail will retry for 20 more hours. You'll be notified if the delivery fails permanently.

This is happening for both the info and the wtn email address. And the the submission form seems to hang indefinitely.
I've encountered this problem during the past month. I never found out if they got my e-mails or not. I decided that they probably did, but did not have the time/interest to reply (and I didn't want to deluge them by resending stuff).

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2017, 02:18:10 AM »
I guess hardware manufacturers will start making hard drives without activity lights from now on.

Offline stands2reason

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2017, 02:07:06 PM »
I tested my high-pitch hearing using a tone generator in Audacity. My cut-off is between 16.5-17.0 kHz. I was a bit surprised to find such a sharp cut-off. 15 kHz sounded approximately as loud as 12 kHz for example.

I remember performing a similar test a decade ago and finding similar results. So I guess that means I have been taking good care of my hearing, that there has been little or degradation of high-pitched hearing.

Offline Gravity Allen

• Off to a Start
  • Hi! I'm a linguist!
    • The Ling Space
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2017, 03:06:38 AM »

Delivery incomplete

I've had the same issue, which is a shame, since I tried sending them an e-mail about their tinnitus discussion; I'm pretty sure the whole fleeting-tinnitus-is-a-hair-cell-dying thing is a myth, which is something I figure they'd want to avoid spreading. :-\

Offline JediKangaroo

• Off to a Start
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 07:38:46 AM »
Just to extend on the word of the episode, 'pathological' is also used informally in mathematics to describe something with weird, counterintuitive or undesirable properties. They can be the extreme cases that really test the validity of a model, but studying what makes them so weird often leads to new discoveries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathological_(mathematics)

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2017, 09:25:13 AM »
I have been using hearing aids for about six months and still getting used to them. My audiologist gave me a definition of tinnitus that makes sense to me and reflects my experience.

He made the analogy of phantom leg syndrome. Your brain is set up to interpret the detection of frequencies of sound waves as tones. If those frequencies are no longer being detected, your brain makes them up, thus tinnitus.

So, as in my case, amplifying those frequencies for natural sound makes the tinnitus, once awful, virtually unnoticeable.

Does that explanation hold up?
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2017, 12:44:30 PM »
I have been using hearing aids for about six months and still getting used to them. My audiologist gave me a definition of tinnitus that makes sense to me and reflects my experience.

He made the analogy of phantom leg syndrome. Your brain is set up to interpret the detection of frequencies of sound waves as tones. If those frequencies are no longer being detected, your brain makes them up, thus tinnitus.

So, as in my case, amplifying those frequencies for natural sound makes the tinnitus, once awful, virtually unnoticeable.

Does that explanation hold up?

Sounds reasonable, but it seems for me that those higher frequencies are no longer there to be amplified. 
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2017, 12:58:56 PM »

Delivery incomplete

I've had the same issue, which is a shame, since I tried sending them an e-mail about their tinnitus discussion; I'm pretty sure the whole fleeting-tinnitus-is-a-hair-cell-dying thing is a myth, which is something I figure they'd want to avoid spreading. :-\

I keep hoping that someone will notify them of this on Facebook. Pretty sure they don't read these forums, and if we can't reach them via e-mail, there is not way to let them know there is a problem. I'm not a Facebook user, but hopefully someone with similar issues is.

personate-rain