Author Topic: Help Skeptiqueer Learn Philosophy  (Read 332 times)

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
Help Skeptiqueer Learn Philosophy
« on: February 25, 2017, 10:50:09 PM »
So I think I've said quite often that I don't feel comfortable in most philosophical debates because I've not really read much beyond the passing shadows of philosophy that one gets in literature classes, historical books, or online debates. On the other hand, I'm settling in to a relatively light semester pretty well, and also my first decent philosophy class in a desperate attempt to pile on the requisite amount of bullshit to achieve a degree in this state. Given that I will have several papers to write, and am being encouraged to branch out well beyond the book, I wanted to reach out and see if there are any recommendations on philosophy written for the sophomore.

So far, I'm working through Vonnegut's bibliography, I'll consider going through Leviathan and Behemoth if I can stomach the prose, and in the text so far I've reach portions of John Ibister's Capitalism and Justice: Envisioning Social and Economic Justice and John Rawls' A Theory of Justice, and plan on getting a copy of each from the school library. Anyone else I should be looking at?
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
Re: Help Skeptiqueer Learn Philosophy
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 11:14:02 PM »
IMO nothing can even come close to Will Durant's The Story of Philosophy, as far as Western philosophy goes. It's witty, and amazingly dense and informative despite being something of a Cliff's Notes type guide to the great philosophers. The context he presents in terms of the writers' environments and lives I found vitally important to gaining understanding for their philosophies.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 11:17:29 PM »
Depending on the branch of philosophy you're interested in.  Seems like your focus appears to be ethics.  I always think that meta physics (because it's straight forward) or aesthetics (because almost nobody gets pissy about it) are the best entry points.
I agree with Clunn, which makes me feel all weird inside.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 11:39:01 PM »
You should stop everything and listen to Partially Examined Life podcast from the beginning (I hope the early eps are still up).  It should be exactly what you're looking in roughly the order it should probably be consumed.

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 12:55:35 AM »
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 04:49:02 AM »
Philosophy makes my head hurt.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 12:01:17 PM »
Partially Examined Life has been added to the rotation, superfluous pop culture podcast removed. Keep them coming!
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 12:09:41 PM »
Philosophy makes my head hurt.
That was my position for a long time, but moral philosophy and ethics has been a little more grounded, which makes it less headachey.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 05:57:45 PM »
For podcasts:
Philosophy Bites is also a thing, and can be pretty good.
The History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps is pretty good (if you care to start way back with classical)

If you have time to go back through BBC Radio4's archive and pick out the ones to do with various issues around philosophy those are usually quite good (it's not as bad as it sounds, the archives are broken up into broad categories)

For non podcasts
This book is a pretty great sketch, there's a good chance that by the end you'll know what exactly you're interested in taking a closer look into.
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

personate-rain