Author Topic: What is it like to live in NYC?  (Read 794 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
What is it like to live in NYC?
« on: February 26, 2017, 05:11:56 PM »
New York City has been called the cultural capital of the Western world, and even the cultural capital of the world.

But what is it like to actually live there? To people here who live there or have lived there in the past, what do you think? Like it or not?
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: What is it like to live in NYC?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 05:21:55 PM »
I spent a few days in Manhattan and it was great.  The boroughs weren't part of the trip but Manhattan, man. So much dirt cheap and excellent food. 
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline Nosmas

• Off to a Start
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 05:41:49 PM »
I don't live there but I stayed in Manhatten for a week a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. If you asked me to use a single word to describe it it would have to be LOUD.

Seriously. I was blown away by how quiet the city of about 400,000 I live in was when I returned.
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 06:01:01 PM »
Born and raised in Brooklyn though quickly approaching the point where I will have lived most of my life outside NYC. 

It isn't so much that NYC has unique things to do, it's the variety and specialty of those things.  There's a bar for every niche.  There's a movie theater for every taste in film.  I was in a restaurant the other day that just served varieties of rice crispy treats.  You could probably visit a new museum every weekend for a year. 

A they mean it when they call it the city that never sleeps.  There is literally something open at any hour.  You would be amazed how crowded subway platforms are even at 2 in the morning. 

There's plenty of cities in America where you could go out all night and have a blast but in NYC you could go out every night for a year and do something different each night. 

that being said,  a lot of these things have diminishing levels of attractiveness as you get older.  We are happy out in the suburbs now.  I don't think I could handle some of the kinds of nights I use to have.  Though occasionally I miss them, I don't miss them a lot. 

the other main thing is the proximity.  All the shit there is to do in NYC is contained in a relatively tiny radius. 

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 06:13:21 PM »
New York's also the only US city with good public transit over a large area. 

This is a fun article which ranks 290 cities by annual ridership per capita:

Article: How Your City’s Public Transit Stacks Up
Date: Jul. 31, 2014

Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 10:19:26 AM »
NYC is great but am not sure it's like a super unique snow flake. Don't get me wrong, it's a great city, I love spending time in it, but many other large city's are pretty great too. It may have an edge or culture due to tradition and and many entertainment company's and hubs set up in the city. Much of the great things about being in NYC are in other places as well. For me I love how walk-able it is and how many different great restaurants and bars there are everywhere. Many other city's are cool like that too.
  To live there you need to be use to and OK with never being alone and always surrounded by noise, trash and strangers. Its also really expensive so have to deal with that. I love it and think I could live there, and have friends who do, but I've never fully done it. Now I'm older and don't want to pay that crazy amounts for a tiny apartment. I like being a home owner in DC and could never afford anything close to what I have here up there.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 12:22:35 PM »
Having lived here for a year and a half now, I think that the Chicago experience is actually more quintessentially American than New York City is. NYC is amazing, don't get me wrong, and in many ways it's what the US aspires to be. There are still parts of the city where you can move there from, for example, Ukraine and never speak a word of English. For the tourist, this is also a neat experience where you can hop on a subway and go to Little Ukraine or Koreatown or Spanish Harlem and experience some vastly different cultures within 15 or 20 minutes of each other. There's so much you can go to on NY that are world-renowned cultural landmarks, from the clubs that Hendrix and Dylan played at to the grave of Alexander Hamilton, from the special kind of showy street basketball they play at Rucker Park to the whole apparatus of Broadway. And yeah, there are a ton of cheap eats and if you're willing to live in a bit of squalor you can live poor in NYC too.

But I feel like there's no in-between in NYC. You either live in Manhattan and make 7 figures or you live with 6 roommates. Chicago, on the other hand, has the in-between where you can earn a 5 figure or low 6 figure income and still not feel like you can just barely make ends meet. Also, while NYC is what the US wants to be I feel like Chicago to a great extent is what the US *is*. It's a bit on the racist side, the crime rate is really, really high in a couple neighborhoods (though I will say, if you're not a gang-banger and you're not walking around alone in the middle of the night in these areas, you're still not terribly unsafe), there are sometimes major divides between rich and poor. I've seen Chicago cops do some things I've never seen cops in cities like NYC or SF/Seattle/Portland do and I don't mean that in a good way. But it's also *so* underrated... yeah, you get the second run of Broadway shows here, but if you like live theatre there are a *ton* of shows here and a whole Broadway-like district to see them at (creatively called the Theatre District). Chicago may not have the iconic Macy's with the wooden escalators like NYC but it does have the Macy's that used to be a Marshall Field's that is iconic in its own right and besides, if you want iconic shopping there's the Mag Mile. NYC has Saturday Night Live but Chicago has Second City, the venue that creates like half the people who eventually become SNL players (the other half come from an LA-based troupe called The Groundings). NYC's varied ethnicities mean it'll always be the best food city in the USA but Chicago is a damn, damn close second, and it's a close second on its own terms.

So yeah, I know this was a question about NYC but dammit I know Chicago and Chicago is kind of awesome.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 12:55:49 PM »
I lived in Queens for 6 years--western Queens, not far from the East River.

Not nearly as expensive as Manhattan--but it is getting there.
It is actually a very convenient city and you have access to just about anything. The fact that it has been a very safe city for a couple decades now is also excellent.
It is definitely a place where one should vacate when on vacation --and a lot of people do. It is funny in the summer months how the streets of Manhattan are practically dominated by visitors.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 01:14:32 PM »
I've visted NYC and Chicago as a tourist. The Canadian in me liked Chicago better. If Toronto is New York run by the Swiss, Chicago is New York run by Canadians.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 03:22:37 PM »
Because of my son's fascination with trains, my wife and I have contemplated a family rail trip NYC > Chicago.

One thing I don't like is the route is basically the historical New York Central line, but leaves from Penn Station instead of Grand Central.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 03:54:26 PM »
I can tell you that Chicago to West Virginia is pretty damn amazing. I think that route terminates in Washington, not New York, but I feel like doing the NYC to Chicago train would cause you to see even more Rust Belt monuments, which was kind of my favorite part of the trip TBH.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 05:21:52 PM »
I can tell you that Chicago to West Virginia is pretty damn amazing. I think that route terminates in Washington, not New York, but I feel like doing the NYC to Chicago train would cause you to see even more Rust Belt monuments, which was kind of my favorite part of the trip TBH.

It does indeed terminate in Washington; you could take a train from New York to DC and thence westward.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 07:40:16 PM »
New York City has been called the cultural capital of the Western world, and even the cultural capital of the world.

By whom?  People who have never been to Europe?

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 02:13:53 AM »
Seems like it would be too crowded for me to ever be comfortable there.

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 02:16:49 AM »

It does indeed terminate in Washington; you could take a train from New York to DC and thence westward.

+1 for the word "thence."

personate-rain