Author Topic: Ten Commandments Monuments  (Read 682 times)

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Re: Ten Commandments Monuments
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 04:32:39 PM »
Infancy Gospel of Thomas:

I think few Christians accept it so that that woudl be a hard argument to use

Christians accept what they want to accept... selection bias.
Amend and resubmit.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 04:44:32 PM »

Well, the whole pro capitalism / fuck the poor is pretty much that selection bias
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 02:26:46 AM »

Except that the canonical books of the Bible were set in the 4th century. The rest are literally non-canon.

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 11:32:46 AM »

Except that the canonical books of the Bible were set in the 4th century. The rest are literally non-canon.

A canon is nothing but a list.  The canonization process  was ostensibly to determine which scriptures were divinely inspired, and worthy of being on the list.  My contention is that the scriptures were selected with motivational reasoning... picking and choosing the ones that matched the objectives of the list-makers.  The Infancy Gospel of Thomas was most likely rejected not because it was false, but because the list-makers didn't like the message. And while the canon is mostly set, there is still disagreement on some of the books in the various flavors of Christianity.

I just don't give the other Gospels much credence either.
Amend and resubmit.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 11:54:59 AM »
Come on. The canon may have been arbitrarily set when it was set, but that was centuries ago.  It's disingenuous to accuse a modern Christian of cherry-picking for not accepting a book that virtually no Christian has considered gospel for almost two millennia.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 01:17:58 PM »
Come on. The canon may have been arbitrarily set when it was set, but that was centuries ago.  It's disingenuous to accuse a modern Christian of cherry-picking for not accepting a book that virtually no Christian has considered gospel for almost two millennia.

I never meant to imply that... sorry if my having a little fun sounded like I was making a proclamation.

The modern version is Christians cherry picking which stories are true and which stories are metaphor.
Amend and resubmit.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 05:52:28 PM »

I never meant to imply that... sorry if my having a little fun sounded like I was making a proclamation.

The modern version is Christians cherry picking which stories are true and which stories are metaphor.

Like the ones about helping the poor and unfortunately being largely ignored by those with a hard on for the Ten Commandments?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2017, 06:08:41 AM »
What if God gives you a test?

You kill your child. Unless he shows up at the last moment to tell you it was just a prank.

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2017, 03:18:44 PM »
What if God gives you a test?

You kill your child. Unless he shows up at the last moment to tell you it was just a prank.

Quite the joker, that Yahweh.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

personate-rain