Author Topic: Barack Obama On Science And Charles Darwin  (Read 340 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
Barack Obama On Science And Charles Darwin
« on: March 03, 2017, 07:35:50 PM »

It seems many Americans don't realize what one-of-a-kind president you had. One uniquely fit to govern a country for the 21st century into the future.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Online Paul Blevins Jr.

• Off to a Start
Re: Barack Obama On Science And Charles Darwin
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 06:32:45 PM »
Oh believe me, I miss that man every day. I would have GLADLY voted for him a third time! Can you imagine  Obama serving as POTUS as long as FDR but healthy?

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Double-Plus Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 08:29:50 PM »
Eh, he bombed the shit out of slightly too many brown children for me to ever really set foot on the Obama-is-a-dreamboat parade float.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 10:25:41 PM »
It seems many Americans don't realize what one-of-a-kind president you had. One uniquely fit to govern a country for the 21st century into the future.

I think you've got it the other way around. The leaders have been so awful that Americans don't know what a good one looks like.

Someone who protects torturers shouldn't be anywhere near the top. He's no better than either Pope.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 06:05:21 AM »
Eh, he bombed the shit out of slightly too many brown children for me to ever really set foot on the Obama-is-a-dreamboat parade float.

Huh? The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq he inherited. The only other war he willingly go into was bombing the Islamic State. Which saved thousands of lives and has resulted in their caliphate declining.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 08:33:44 AM »
And if anything, Obama helped contribute so that a lot of "brown people" escaped a massacre.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:47:03 AM by Quetzalcoatl »

Offline Louie

• Global Moderator
  • Double-Plus Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 01:32:59 PM »
This is where nuances come in. Yes, he inherited two wars and yes, he helped out the Yazidi, but he also oversaw a shitload of drone strikes when the technology was taking off and the CIA and the Pentagon went gung-ho with their new toy. He's admitted to this, but claims that he acted to curtail the strikes as soon as he found out. This is demonstrably untrue. He subsequently tried to fudge the numbers on the civilian casualties.

No matter how much he shielded the flight of the Yazidi, Obama has blood on his hands. You could argue that presidents always do, that they're confronted with decisions that don't offer choices that align with their principles, however sincerely held. That's a valid line of reasoning, but I'm still not going to give him a crown of laurels and raise him on my shield just because his predecessor is worse. 
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 04:06:03 PM »

Huh? The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq he inherited. The only other war he willingly go into was bombing the Islamic State. Which saved thousands of lives and has resulted in their caliphate declining.

He greatly expanded drone assassinations, especially in Pakisan, but also in Yemen and Somalia, none of which countries are at war against the US. This is a great visualisation of the scale of the massacre. This includes the mind-boggingly illegal assassination of US Citizens. This has been a fantastic recruiting tool for all of the regional enemies of the "West". You don't need to have many of your friends and relatives vapourised by a twenty year-old sitting in a container to start rooting for the folks who are fighing against this sort of thing. There currently thousands upon thousands of people who live in constant terror because they never know when will a strike land just a little bit too close to them, and there is nothing that they can do about it.

This is a great summary of this very Obama kind of "war"

Offline gebobs

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 11:52:04 AM »
FDR oversaw the annihilation of hundreds of thousands of German citizens. They were not killed accidentally. They were purposefully targeted.

Abe Lincoln suspended habeas corpus and was willing to let slavery continue to save the union prior to the Civil War.

Thos. Jefferson was banging slaves left and right.

Now that we've established that no one who has served as president was a saint or possibly even could if he tried, can we get back to discussing how awesome it was having a president for once that held science in such high regard. People love to hate on Obama for that or for not closing Guantanamo the day after his inauguration or whatever else someone hoped would happen when the clouds parted and God proclaimed him the new savior.

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 12:03:43 PM »

Libya, Yemen?

Don't get me wrong, a perfectly fine president and orders of magnitude better than his successor and significantly better than his predecessor but lets not write his hagiography just yet. 

Online Paul Blevins Jr.

• Off to a Start
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 02:38:40 PM »
Newsflash kids! We're never going to have Gandhi for President!

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 02:53:09 PM »
Obama explains some of his pro-science policy in this interview with Bill Maher. I thought it was a great interview. It was interesting to hear his position on GMO.

Offline Louie

• Global Moderator
  • Double-Plus Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 02:55:07 PM »

Thank you for your contribution.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 03:08:29 PM »

Thank you for your contribution.

(click to show/hide)

personate-rain