Author Topic: Episode #608  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #608
« on: March 04, 2017, 12:14:41 PM »
What’s the Word: Homologous; News Items: Nightmare Robot, Returning to the Moon, Digital Age Brain Disorders, The ADHD Controversy; Who’s That Noisy; Your Questions and E-mails: Tinnitus Follow Up; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline davidlpf

• Off to a Start
Re: Episode #608
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 12:27:57 AM »
Thanks Steve for explaining ADHD. My niece who is now 11 has it. Your explanation of it makes sense of some of things she does from time to time like blurt out something completely weird from time to time. Over the years medication and some behavioral training has helped. But finally, IT DOES EXISTS.

Offline stlc8tr

• Off to a Start
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 12:05:08 AM »
I'm not a space geek so I might be missing something but I thought that the Saturn V was still the most powerful ever?

http://www.universetoday.com/129989/saturn-v-vs-falcon-heavy/

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 01:32:06 AM »
I'm not a space geek so I might be missing something but I thought that the Saturn V was still the most powerful ever?

It was a bit confusing the way they phrased it on the show, but I'm pretty sure that they were acknowledging that the Saturn V had a higher payload capacity than the Falcon Heavy, not claiming the opposite.  If I recall, they wondered how the two compared, then Steve read the payload capacities for both and then said something like, "so, yeah, bigger" — meaning by that the Saturn V.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 07:37:18 AM »
Without getting into too many details. I have a contact in NASA, they are NOT happy about the pressure (and yes it is pressure) to crew the Orion launch. Some circumspection was going on, but basically it sounds like the administration (who has yet to name a NASA Administrator) btw is basically ordering a crewed mission because it will appear "tougher."

It's straight frat bro antics and "don't be a wuss" attitude.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 09:52:01 AM »
Without getting into too many details. I have a contact in NASA, they are NOT happy about the pressure (and yes it is pressure) to crew the Orion launch. Some circumspection was going on, but basically it sounds like the administration (who has yet to name a NASA Administrator) btw is basically ordering a crewed mission because it will appear "tougher."

Kinda like the Apollo Program then.  Really the entire US space program up until the mid 70s.

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 09:56:20 AM »

Kinda like the Apollo Program then.  Really the entire US space program up until the mid 70s.

There were several uncrewed "Apollo-Saturan" missions that weren't given numbers.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 11:08:02 AM »

You mean the new administration?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline gebobs

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 11:27:33 AM »
I want to propose a new Word of the Week: jibe. Once again, one of the Novellas (Bob this week) said "jive" when what he should have said is jibe. At least that's how it sounded to me. Pet peeve.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:18:12 AM by gebobs »

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 12:18:11 PM »
There is a thread in the Personal section about ADD/ADHD. I am curious what those with the condition thought of the discussion on the show—about the condition and stereotypes surrounding the condition itself as well as the culture that supposedly tries to over-diagnose it. It seems like this kind of discussion would quickly lead to the kind of neurotypical politics associated with Asperger's.

Offline mjfoley

• Brand New
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 02:41:02 PM »
Speaking as a Canadian with both Tinnitus and ADHD the Canadian Shield has long been known to be the oldest surface rock feature on Earth, at least by Canadians educated in the 1970's.
Having watched the educational film "The Rise and Fall of the Great Lakes" several times in school is FINALLY of use. Thanks.

Offline philduncan84

• Brand New
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 03:13:23 PM »
Hello! New member, first post! Hey guys, with regards to money, retirement, and specifically prepaying your home or jumping from a 30 year to a 15 year, there is a really good podcast from a skeptical financial advisor, Phil Ferguson. In episode 199 of his podcast, he covers whether or not you should prepay your home mortgage and the details about that process. Here's a link to his website that links to his podcast. http://polarisfinancialplanning.com/2017/01/25/199-mr-deity-should-you-prepay-your-home-loan/

Thanks for all you do.

Phil Duncan

Offline DamoET

• Off to a Start
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 02:29:08 AM »
Like every other Australian, I'm calling the Canadian oldest fossil FAKE NEWS. ;)
We have the oldest fossils and petrified bones as well! ;D

Damo
Do not fear God, fear ignorance.  For ignorance will lead you to fearing 'God' (and a whole bunch of other whacky shit!)

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 04:21:28 AM »
Like every other Australian, I'm calling the Canadian oldest fossil FAKE NEWS. ;)
We have the oldest fossils and petrified bones as well! ;D

Damo

Yeah mate, no-one's going to top our stromatolites.

Offline stlc8tr

• Off to a Start
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 05:17:46 AM »

It was a bit confusing the way they phrased it on the show, but I'm pretty sure that they were acknowledging that the Saturn V had a higher payload capacity than the Falcon Heavy, not claiming the opposite.  If I recall, they wondered how the two compared, then Steve read the payload capacities for both and then said something like, "so, yeah, bigger" — meaning by that the Saturn V.

I went back to check and here's what I heard:

"With the ability to lift into orbit over 54 metric tons (119,000 lb)--a mass equivalent to a 737 jetliner loaded with passengers, crew, luggage and fuel--Falcon Heavy can lift more than twice the payload of the next closest operational vehicle, the Delta IV Heavy, at one-third the cost."

"One third the cost!"

"One third is sweet but Jay, can you compare this, can you put this in relation to Saturn V payload?"

"Yeah, 119 thousand compared to 90 thousand on the Saturn V. So that's more."

"That's more!"

So I'm not sure where the Rogues got that 90K number from since the link that I saw said that the Saturn V is 310K to LEO.

personate-rain