Author Topic: Using Patreon as a content creator  (Read 399 times)

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Using Patreon as a content creator
« on: March 05, 2017, 04:36:51 AM »
Has anyone here used Patreon as a content creator?

I'd like to start using it to distribute the trashy fantasy novel I've been writing, but I have some questions.

I initially figured I'd be able to distribute chapters, and patrons could pay $1-2 per chapter. I'd publish a chapter a week, each paid, and then for higher-paying patrons I could do additional things - scans of my notebooks, periodic Q&As, etc. However, looking at the Patreon help files it seems that the done thing is to publish basic content for free, and only charge for additional content.

I've never used Patreon before, either as a creator or as a patron, so I don't know what "the done thing" is. Is it reasonable to ask for payment for each chapter of my novel? I was going to give away the first chapter for free, like as a teaser, anyway. But I just have no experience with the system and the culture.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:14:49 AM by arthwollipot »

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
Re: Using Patreon as a content creator
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 11:06:12 AM »
What I'm noticing is that people who are already doing something which people enjoy (whether it's on youtube, or a writing project like yours) turn to Patreon because their viewers/readers are asking for a way to "tip" the content creator. Like "why don't you have a PayPall donation button or merch?" Of course with Patreon you can offer extra stuff for donators, like you said. So as far as I can tell, seems like the accepted practice is for people to do it for free and accept optional donations. Which, yeah, not great if you want to be a full-time artist.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 09:53:56 PM »
I've set up my patreon and posted my first thing. And I've got a subscriber!

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 11:49:00 PM »
I have a question with this. . . .I am wonder how I might be able to skirt some issues.

I have a huge Palladium RPG site, maybe the largest on the web, and I am sure some people would like to give me a couple of bucks a month. I don't want to get in trouble with Palladium Press. I thought about linking off my non-Palladium material and allowing people to support through there.

I was going to publish stories on Amazon and just try to get money that way but maybe Patreon would be better there as well?
I know that some stories, such as the Nickie stories, have gotten a lot of positive feedback as well.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 01:51:52 AM »
I'm using Patreon to get feedback as well as income, because my novel is a work in progress. If you already have finished works, then self-publishing via Amazon is definitely a way to go.

personate-rain
personate-rain