Author Topic: Alex Jones / Info Wars  (Read 1960 times)

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
Re: Alex Jones / Info Wars
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2017, 11:10:26 AM »
I will note that I once worked for a guy who would just make shit up in front of customers and vendors. As I traveled with him for a couple years, I realized that he was an alcoholic. Chicken or egg, I think he was missing some brain cells and learned how to dissemble in order to survive.

Odd thing, this was one of the most successful periods of my career. He knew nothing of technology or finance (he came from marketing) and he began to depend on me to step into conversations and to keep him from dissembling, which he would otherwise do instead of simply saying "I don't know." Come bonus time he was generous to me. I often ask myself if I was his enabler.

I have forced two employees into rehab over the years, but never tried that with a boss.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2017, 11:19:55 AM »
Agreed.
Which is worse? The liar or the lunatic?
I would call the latter a mental illness, though a dangerous one in this case. I am increasingly putting Trump in this category.  He was once just a liar, but I think he is losing his grip on reality.

I think this is a false dichotomy. Trump I think is almost certainly both (and has been since at least the beginning of his campaign - I don't know much about him from before that time, so I can't comment on that), and I would guess that Alex Jones probably is as well.
Mooohn!

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Online 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2017, 02:05:51 PM »
Does that mean he isn't playing a character?

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2017, 02:07:10 PM »
Does that mean he isn't playing a character?

Apparently a believable one to the jury.
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2017, 02:18:59 PM »
I'm a little disturbed that juries are deciding custody cases.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2017, 02:19:21 PM »
Banned from both Hacker News and the xkcd forum.

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2017, 02:24:32 PM »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/04/28/alex-jones-infowars-loses-primary-custody-his-kids/101017394/

Okay, no.  I mean the guy is full of shit, but stuff like this has no bearing on what I think of him.

I thought the case interesting in that the jury found that he was "indoctrinating" his kids against his ex-wife. That said, custody battles suck and are often no reflection on a person's ability to parent.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2017, 02:27:00 PM »
I'm a little disturbed that juries are deciding custody cases.

I've always been a little disturbed that layman juries are deciding anything at all in the U.S. legal system.

Online 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2017, 02:39:24 PM »
So what about elected judges?

Offline JuniorSpaceman

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2017, 05:26:54 PM »
A close friend and I used to make ironically racist and sexist jokes to each other when no one was around and we were watching movies together.
Like for example making fun of the fact that the black guy would always die first in horror movies or how asians are never as good at martial arts as americans.

It was a few years before I realised he had actually internalised these jokes and he would start arguing as to why it was funny but also kind of true.

Just one instance of course but I stopped making those jokes with anyone.
Quoting this again for emphasis. Can anybody point me to the psychological trick, which is used for example by advertisers when they have competitions to make people write why they love a product - the idea being that if you say something (eg "I love eating McDonalds because their burgers are the freshest"), even if you know that you're being disingenuous, you are more likely to believe it later on.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2017, 05:40:18 PM »
A close friend and I used to make ironically racist and sexist jokes to each other when no one was around and we were watching movies together.
Like for example making fun of the fact that the black guy would always die first in horror movies or how asians are never as good at martial arts as americans.

It was a few years before I realised he had actually internalised these jokes and he would start arguing as to why it was funny but also kind of true.

Just one instance of course but I stopped making those jokes with anyone.
Quoting this again for emphasis. Can anybody point me to the psychological trick, which is used for example by advertisers when they have competitions to make people write why they love a product - the idea being that if you say something (eg "I love eating McDonalds because their burgers are the freshest"), even if you know that you're being disingenuous, you are more likely to believe it later on.

Maybe you're referring to anchoring?

EDIT: And if that's not it, it's probably one of these:

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:42:38 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Online Pdb88

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Pessimism of the Intellect, Optimism of the Will
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2017, 12:31:17 AM »
There seems to be a lot of personal back and forth between Colbert and Alex Jones - it would be interesting to see them both on the same show!
Truth. - No one now dies of fatal truths: there are too many antidotes to them.

personate-rain