Author Topic: Mass Effect: Andromeda  (Read 336 times)

Offline barocon

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Now we are at the edge of excitement!
Mass Effect: Andromeda
« on: March 06, 2017, 08:33:52 AM »
Are you excited for it?

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm a fan of Mass Effect but I'm definitely waiting for reviews before buying MEA.

IGN video of the first 13 minutes:

There are also the silly "controversies" on social media. Some people believe that Bioware is making women in the game look ugly because of some feminist agenda. Personally I think they look great. There's also some nitpicking about facial animations. I don't really care that much to be honest.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 01:28:04 PM »
excited but am so behind in gaming and no intimidate plains to upgrade hardware to play it. I'll get one day, when it's cheap and all the bugs/expansion packs are out.

Offline tralfaz

• Off to a Start
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 10:43:54 PM »
I've pre-ordered, downloaded and am now killing time before they let me play.  I have also covered my eyes and ears this last week.  I like surprises.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 11:21:22 PM »
I still have to play the first 3...  That said, this game has been getting a lot of flak from people for bad voice acting and animations, but that's hardly all that matters in a video game.  Also, some have been disputing those complaints as well.  Still, the videos have been entertaining all the same:

Offline tralfaz

• Off to a Start
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 11:48:43 PM »
Maybe I have low standards.  I haven't played very many games in the last 15 years.  I recently played the first 3 on easy.  What really appealed to me was the story, not the voice acting and animations.

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 01:11:37 AM »
Maybe I have low standards.  I haven't played very many games in the last 15 years.  I recently played the first 3 on easy.  What really appealed to me was the story, not the voice acting and animations.

For me, good voice acting and animations is like a nice bonus.  Gameplay, story, and the ability to make me want to continue playing to the end matter far more.  That said, a notable down tick in quality of any part of the game from prior iterations is at least a red flag for the rest of it.

Offline tralfaz

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 01:30:54 AM »
This is the first time I've followed a game before the release.  I don't know how much flak and complaining is usual.  I assume any game has some weak areas.  The problem is when a game has a lot of weaknesses.

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 01:50:39 AM »
This is the first time I've followed a game before the release.  I don't know how much flak and complaining is usual.  I assume any game has some weak areas.  The problem is when a game has a lot of weaknesses.

A red flag is just that; a red flag.  Doesn't mean the game is bad.  Just another good reason not to preorder.  Wait and see what word the final product (if there is such a thing these days) brings.

Online 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 04:56:07 AM »
What I don't like is the drive to get people to buy into something before it's finished. This game, or any game. Though especially with major studios, they don't need your pre-orders, they don't need the hype, they don't need to bribe reviewers (and any reviewer who takes a bribe should have their opinions declared null and void). If they can make a good product, it will sell itself.

While if they can't make a good product, rewarding them for it doesn't help anyone get better games.

I'd go as far as to suggest that beta access and in-development games shouldn't be allowed to have a charge for anyone testing them. Because what that does is make it more possible to profit without finishing the product. It's bordering on fraud.

And pre-orders are unnecessary in the Internet age, anyway. If someone wants funding to develop a game, there are other, more honest ways.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 04:59:08 AM by 2397 »

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 05:33:01 AM »
Every industry is going to have its early adopters and currently, in the video game industry, early adopters preorder.  I almost never do because I like to wait and see what a game will be like before putting cash down on it.  I preordered No Man's Sky specifically to show my support for a small developer trying something different and I was stunned to find out that they lied on unprecedented level.  Yeah, they're showing that they are trying to make it right by putting out some major updates, but I'm done with that concept.  After that though, I did preorder Horizon: Zero Dawn, but only after the reviews came out and only so I could have it day 1.  At the end of the day though, while I won't recommend anyone preorder anymore, if people are happy with their decisions then I can't argue with it even if I'd like the practice to go away.  Same thing with DLC.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 04:07:29 AM »
I just love gamer culture... As a response to the Oblivion-esque horrors of facial animations, people are now brutally harassing a female (of course) former EA employee and blaming it all on her, for no discernible reason whatsoever apart from her gender.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:10:38 AM by Rai »

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 05:45:36 AM »
I just love gamer culture... As a response to the Oblivion-esque horrors of facial animations, people are now brutally harassing a female (of course) former EA employee and blaming it all on her, for no discernible reason whatsoever apart from her gender.

The page has been taken down because of the harrassment, but the claim is that her personal facebook page said that she was the lead facial animator for ME:A
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 06:33:30 AM »

The page has been taken down because of the harrassment, but the claim is that her personal facebook page said that she was the lead facial animator for ME:A

Even if that was the case (Bioware has categorically denied it, and I trust them over a lynch mob), it is no reason or explanation why she had to be subjected to horrific, misogynistic abuse.

Gamers just love to jump on the opportunity to harass any and all women whose names become associated with the industry in any shape or form, and this is just yet another example of the mind-blowing toxicity of this cultural environment.

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 06:51:54 AM »
Even if that was the case (Bioware has categorically denied it, and I trust them over a lynch mob), it is no reason or explanation why she had to be subjected to horrific, misogynistic abuse.

Its a reason why she was the chosen target, if accurate (Bioware has denied she was a lead animator, from what Ive seen, which is relevant but not directly indicative of whether she claimed to be). But not a justification for why there was disgusting behaviour to aim at a target in the first place.

Gamers just love to jump on the opportunity to harass any and all women whose names become associated with the industry in any shape or form, and this is just yet another example of the mind-blowing toxicity of this cultural environment.

Youre more optimistic than I am... Ive seen this sort of thing from gamers, from skeptics (ElevatorGate), from mens sports clubs, etc. The form changes somewhat when the demographic are primarily online and are highly technologically proficient by nature, but my impression isnt that this is a toxic sub-culture. My impression is that this is no different to much or most of society, just perhaps a little less socially aware to be able to hide their behaviour. I think its this bad all over, we just have a habit of marginalising women when they tell us in other contexts.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 07:22:10 AM »
Youre more optimistic than I am... Ive seen this sort of thing from gamers, from skeptics (ElevatorGate), from mens sports clubs, etc. The form changes somewhat when the demographic are primarily online and are highly technologically proficient by nature, but my impression isnt that this is a toxic sub-culture. My impression is that this is no different to much or most of society, just perhaps a little less socially aware to be able to hide their behaviour. I think its this bad all over, we just have a habit of marginalising women when they tell us in other contexts.

I do believe gamer culture, and its extension, geek culture (which includes skeptics) is especially toxic, in a way that is not present in sports or other fields. I am yet to see torrents of abuse unleashed on women associated with sports in any way on a similar scales. Even if there is an active controversy about a trans female athlete, nothing like this is seen (or at least I am not aware of it)

This all ties in to how the Alt-Right neonazi movement originated in geek culture, on niche message boards whose perpetuation of standard geek misogyny and racism slowly seeped into popular discourse through forums, youtubers, etc, before being blasted into mainstream through Gamergate. After that, the rallying cry against the SJWs and "Political Correctness" could be used not only against women, but also minorities or any 'others' of choice and thus Alt-Right was born. (in a very small nutshell)

I read a great article about this a while back, will try to dig it out.

personate-rain
personate-rain