Author Topic: Low Sodium Salt.  (Read 964 times)

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
Low Sodium Salt.
« on: March 07, 2017, 08:17:12 AM »
An old friend on Facebook this morning asked if anyone knew where she could buy "low sodium or sodium free...salt."

Couldn't resist...I sent her a link to a store that sells pool supplies.

Will update if I'm blocked or unfriended.  ;D

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
Re: Low Sodium Salt.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »
It's right new to the dehydrated water.
Banned from both Hacker News and the xkcd forum.

Offline Muriel

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • My personal blog and homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 10:41:29 AM »
Low sodium salt actually does exist, and they sell it here in Norway. It works by replacing some of the NaCl with KCl.

KCl is, strictly speaking, still a salt.
"Anything one man can imagine,
other men can make real."
- Jules Verne

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 11:35:16 AM »

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 11:41:56 AM »
More context, it HAS to be actual salt. Not mixed with anything or otherwise "artificial."

This is a person who regularly waxes poetically about the wisdom of David Avocado Wolfe (which probably tells you all you need to know).

Offline gmalivuk

• Well Established
    • http://gmalivuk.livejournal.com
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 03:09:56 PM »
The fact that your friend is a gullible true believer doesn't change the fact that salts exist without sodium.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 06:44:49 PM »
I am no diet expert, but i know a bit of chemistry and biology and it is not obvious to me that KCl is any healthier than NaCl. 
Though in the body, NaCl is usually found inside the cells while KCl is usually found outside, so i suppose that could make a difference.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 08:08:53 AM »
I am no diet expert, but i know a bit of chemistry and biology and it is not obvious to me that KCl is any healthier than NaCl. 
Though in the body, NaCl is usually found inside the cells while KCl is usually found outside, so i suppose that could make a difference.

We do know that lowering sodium in the diet lowers blood pressure in some people, so there is that.
#notarealskeptic

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 08:21:32 AM »
having too much K+ is no good either but as long as someone is sticking to a dr.  recommended regimen, i guess it can make sense.

Offline DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 08:49:10 AM »
having too much K+ is no good either but as long as someone is sticking to a dr.  recommended regimen, i guess it can make sense.

I seem to recall reading in the last while having too much K in the blood can result in heart rhythm issues (on the bad end of the spectrum).  There were other issues identified that were less severe (nausea, weakness, fatigue).
Not helping the situation since 1979.

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
Low Sodium Salt.
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 10:33:06 AM »
There are salt substitutes that use potassium.

I have to say you weren't very friendly to your old friend.

People with high blood pressure can lower their blood pressure by reducing sodium. Other than that there's no proven benefit to reducing sodium in the diet

The science advisory committee for the us dietary guidelines states unequivocally that sodium should not be considered a nutrient of concern.

Your mileage may vary.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 01:40:16 PM »
How many of these do we need?  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24651634
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 09:41:48 PM »
There are salt substitutes that use potassium.

I have to say you weren't very friendly to your old friend.

People with high blood pressure can lower their blood pressure by reducing sodium. Other than that there's no proven benefit to reducing sodium in the diet

The science advisory committee for the us dietary guidelines states unequivocally that sodium should not be considered a nutrient of concern.

Your mileage may vary.

If you knew this person you'd understand. It HAS to be SALT, not a "salt substitute," not an "alternative," SALT. NaCl, Sodium Chloride. 100% SALT but with just less Sodium.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 09:40:35 AM »
There actually is a 'low sodium' NaCl Salt.  I saw it a few years back, they mixed real salt with something inert.  So by volume, it contained less Sodium.

Also, to clarify what estockly said earlier, SOME people with high blood pressure benefit from low sodium diets.  Not all.
#notarealskeptic

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 09:53:34 AM »
If you knew this person you'd understand. It HAS to be SALT, not a "salt substitute," not an "alternative," SALT. NaCl, Sodium Chloride. 100% SALT but with just less Sodium.
Bleach then?