Poll

At what speed do you listen to Podcasts/Audiobooks?

1X
10 (47.6%)
1.5X
3 (14.3%)
2X
2 (9.5%)
Mix
5 (23.8%)
Other
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: At what speed do you listen to Podcasts/Audiobooks?  (Read 590 times)

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
At what speed do you listen to Podcasts/Audiobooks?
« on: March 07, 2017, 01:02:32 PM »
Ah.hell's post in the Twitter thread made me wonder what speed people listen to Podcasts?

I only use 1X, every time I tried the faster settings it felt too frantic, and actually made me a bit anxious.

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
Re: At what speed do you listen to Podcasts/Audiobooks?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 01:04:48 PM »
Typically 1X, but if I feel like the hosts are talking too slow, I speed it up a little.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 01:06:50 PM »
Entirely depends on the speakers.

Podcasts - regular chumps talking with their dumb regular conversational voices - 1x

Standard audiobook - moderately good speakers reading prepared text, with multiple takes if required - 1.5x

Excellent audiobook - with professional audiobook readers such as Scott Brick or Michael Kramer - as high as 3x if I'm feeling frisky, 2x on a normal day.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 01:22:13 PM »
Depends

Radio shows converted to podcast, 2x with the silence cut out.  Radio folks talk sooooo slow. 
Most podcast, 1.75ish
Audio books, 1.5-2. 

This is with head phones, if I'm listen on speakers I tend to need it slower. 
I started at 1x but slowly ramped it up. 
For a while when I'd watch dvds alone, I'd speed those up too.  Can't really do that with streaming so not so much anymore. 

I understand the research supports listening faster, most folks can listen faster than they can talk. 

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 02:08:36 PM »
1x

Mainly because I listen on an MP3 player and it thinks my podcasts are songs so I don't have the option to speed them up. TBH I didn't even know that speeding them up was an option at all until about a year or two ago, when someone on a podcast mentioned "don't speed up our podcast."

I also listen to the ads at the end even though I don't have to. not that i'm ever going to spend $100 on bed sheets from Boll and Branch.
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 02:13:14 PM »
1.5x.  But I had to slowly work up to that.  Took about a week.  I tried faster, but I didn't like it.

Also, as my hearing is going, that speed can be harder to hear.  The foreshortening of the syllables gives less context to word, to a point where volume won't help.  So I have to cut the speed on some of them.

Also I listen to the following at normal speed, because they are about music - although 1.5x does improve many pop songs.
Sound Opinions
Switched On Pop
All Songs Considered
Tiny Desk Concerts
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:16:42 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Online st3class

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 03:04:51 PM »
Depends:

Most of the time it's 1x, but if I'm behind on my podcasts, I'll bump it up to 1.5x
It's always more complicated than that.

Offline barocon

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Now we are at the edge of excitement!
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 07:28:10 PM »
I used to listen to some podcasts at 1.25x or 1.5x, but then I noticed that I usually speed up on podcasts where I don't care about the topic, so I just stopped listening to those podcasts.

Now I usually listen at 1x and I skip episodes and topics I don't care about. And I try to pay more attention or else I get lost in my thoughts and lose track.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 08:07:03 PM »
I listen to my podcasts on 2x speed, but on my Ipod touch, 2x speed is really just 20% faster speed. I dont know why they lable it 2x if it isnt 2x.

I also listen to youtube and audiobooks on 2x speed (2x speed for audiobooks is actually 2x speed on ipod touch, again, dont know why)

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 03:04:32 AM »
1x

sounds normal and gives me more time to think.
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Online 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 05:25:35 AM »
I have listened through some lectures at faster speeds, but if I'm listening to a podcast, it's usually for entertainment purposes, and reducing how much time I spend listening to them isn't the goal. I'll skip past the boring bits.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 05:28:42 AM »
Podcasts are 1x for me for sure. With audiobooks, when I was consuming them more voraciously than I am now, I'd gradually ramped the speed up to 2x. However I'm re listening to Tina Fey's autobiography now and had to slow it all the way down to 1.25X.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 06:17:08 AM »
1X, almost always.

Though, on one of my favourite podcasts, they mentioned that a listener, by accident, turned on the 0.5X speed and it sounded hilarious, and it can indeed be funny so I will consider that some time. It is as if the hosts were drunk. Will probably try it out with Hardcore History to balance out the cringe I feel about Carlin's overly bombastic intonation. Though that will mean I'll have to listen to a one episode for a month... :P

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 09:04:17 AM »
Back and forth between 1.2x and 1.5x, with silences skipped.

1x sounds slowed down now.  It also intro music and ads intolerable.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 10:06:08 AM »
I usually do 1x for podcasts and audiobooks (mainly because winamp doesn't allow me to play at higher speeds), but 1.5-1.7x for video lectures. I've found that I'm forced to listen more closely to video lectures that way, and so I can focus for a longer amount of time. Any higher and I start missing important things because I don't have the time to process what they're saying.
Mooohn!