Author Topic: Amazon Smile and SGU  (Read 251 times)

Offline T-Dog

• Brand New
  • It says I am Brand New, but I'm really very old.
Amazon Smile and SGU
« on: March 09, 2017, 01:21:32 PM »
Hi folks, I make regular Amazon purchases and try to remember to use the SGU affiliate link, but my memory sucks. I've been using Amazon Smile for quite a while for another worthy charity and searched for our friends and found them here:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/chpf/homepage/ref=smi_se_scyc_srch_stsr?q=new+england+skeptical&orig=%2F

Now, by going to smile.amazon.com to login, The SGU will get a few pennies out of the deal. 

You can also check here to monitor how much is going their way:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/chpf/dashboard/

Science needs our help right now. 

Cheers!

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: Amazon Smile and SGU
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 02:05:18 PM »
Hi folks, I make regular Amazon purchases and try to remember to use the SGU affiliate link, but my memory sucks. I've been using Amazon Smile for quite a while for another worthy charity and searched for our friends and found them here:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/chpf/homepage/ref=smi_se_scyc_srch_stsr?q=new+england+skeptical&orig=%2F

Now, by going to smile.amazon.com to login, The SGU will get a few pennies out of the deal. 

You can also check here to monitor how much is going their way:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/chpf/dashboard/

Cheers!

Thanks I use this, and I'd like to contribute to the SGU in this way.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
  • Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 05:11:16 PM »

Cheers!

Thanks I use this, and I'd like to contribute to the SGU in this way.

Smile is for nonprofits and the SGU is no longer a nonprofit
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Offline T-Dog

• Brand New
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 12:23:41 PM »
Just an update, I'm sending about $1/week via the smile program, which is about the same as a second membership, and its not costing me a penny.

Love to see how this builds up over time! 

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 06:56:34 PM »
I list NCSE as my charity of choice. I send a monthly contribution to the SGU.

I found an article saying they give 1/2 of one percent. And on my page they tell me I've generated $14. Smile started near the end of 2013 and I signed up right away. So over the course of 3 1/2 years I've generated $14. That's $4 per year.

Just an update, I'm sending about $1/week via the smile program, which is about the same as a second membership, and its not costing me a penny.

Love to see how this builds up over time! 

You must be spending $200 per week at Amazon to generate $1/week.

I don't see any down side to signing up for Amazon Smile if you buy stuff from them at all, as long as folks don't use that as an excuse not to make actual donations.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline T-Dog

• Brand New
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 07:35:43 PM »
Of course the $1/week is an average, but yes, a few large items have been purchased .  Living in a rural area where selection is limited, means Amazon often wins over a 30-50 mile round trip.  I get a ton of stuff from them, so I may not be a typical case.

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 12:18:47 PM »
Of course the $1/week is an average, but yes, a few large items have been purchased .  Living in a rural area where selection is limited, means Amazon often wins over a 30-50 mile round trip.  I get a ton of stuff from them, so I may not be a typical case.

I remember when it was the Sears Catalog. I used to get it twice a year, and that was how we in the rural areas got stuff not available locally. I don't think they even publish the big catalog any more. There was at least one episode of Cheers where Cliff comes into the bar all bent over with a sore back, and Norm asks "The Sears catalog come out today?" Of course, once upon a time the Sears catalog did double duty. But I didn't move out of the city until indoor plumbing came along.

I once bought a wood-burning stove through the Sears catalog. And the homeless shelter I worked at for five years was originally built as a Sears catalog house: All the lumber and hardware and everything shipped out by rail and assembled on site, though I don't know if Sears furnished the labor, or the buyers did. Yep, you could buy a house from Sears. Assembly required.

Maybe I'll take another look at what charities are now listed on Amazon Smile, though for my $4/year it hardly matters.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck