Author Topic: Lent  (Read 695 times)

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Lent
« on: March 10, 2017, 04:19:45 PM »
“Many people have been asking if I will allow Catholics to eat meat on St. Patrick's Day since March 17th falls on a Friday of Lent this year,” David A. Zubik, Bishop of Pittsburgh, wrote in a letter issued Wednesday. “After much consideration, I have chosen to dispense Catholics in the Diocese of Pittsburgh from the obligation to abstain from meat on Friday, March 17.”

Bishop Edward C. Malesic of the Catholic Diocese of Greensburg granted the same dispensation.

Are there any sacraments that are not dispensable?  This seems like a pretty lame excuse.  Especially if you happen to be an Italian Catholic eg.
Amend and resubmit.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Lent
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 04:27:17 PM »
Catholicism seems like a fucking constant union/company negociation.
"Ok! You can have meat! When does praying resume?"

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 04:41:09 PM »
I am on a board with a large percentage of atheists and some atheists talking about giving up something for Lent. . . . .Why?  ???
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 04:45:47 PM »
One day and the approval of a local bishop?  That's nothing Catholics in South America went all the way to the top to be able to eat the largest rodent on the planet.

About 400 years ago, Spanish missionaries discovered that some indigenous communities in Venezuela, Colombia and Brazil relied for much of their protein on the meat of the capybara, an animal that no European had seen before.

The missionaries reported back to Rome that they had encountered an animal that was hairy and scaly and spent more of its time in the water than on land. They asked whether their new converts could continue to eat capybara at Lent, a time when Catholics traditionally avoid meat.

With no clear idea of what the capybara was or looked like and concerned a ban would lead to indigenous communities starving during Lent, the Vatican immediately ruled that the semi-aquatic mammal was in fact a fish.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2003-03-18/news/0303170443_1_rodents-lenten-capybara
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline Crash

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Dogspeed John Glenn.
    • What I do for fun
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 06:55:22 PM »
It's been about fifty years since I did anything Catholicky.  Catholics don't change much so I can be a designated s'plainer for all peculiar Catholic shit. 
  Not since Vatican 2 has it been a sin to eat meat on Friday.   That means you don't need a special dispensation to eat meat.  Before Vatican 2, it was a sin and it could cost you time in purgatory.
 "I could be a million years for every bite", pondered a nun aloud once.
A few Catholics still cling to the meatless tradition but 'those people' as my mom would disparage, 'were converts' and they tend to be zealots.   The fundamentalist Catholic wing was a thing back in the sixties too. 
  Once a year Catholics come out with smudges of ash on their foreheads on Ash Wednesday.  It's a sacrament I think. To be a good Catholic you go get your smudge.  You can go early so you won't miss work or school and then show up at work with the dufus smudge. 
  Its not required but giving something up for lent is tradition.  As a kid, the hardest thing was giving up TV or candy.  My younger brother missed a few original Star Trek episodes once during lent.  That had to be hard.  I don't remember my parents giving up anything.  Why?    My character is so much better for it, but that is debatable.

Online Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 05:46:23 AM »
I cant wait until they realise transubstantiation doesnt HAVE to involve wafers and they start giving out Cadburys Buttons for communion.
That will get me back to mass.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 06:25:39 AM »
I cant wait until they realise transubstantiation doesnt HAVE to involve wafers and they start giving out Cadburys Buttons for communion.
That will get me back to mass.

I think they should go to period authentic bread and wine (without the lead)*

*I know there is debate on the issue.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 06:48:30 AM »
“Many people have been asking if I will allow Catholics to eat meat on St. Patrick's Day since March 17th falls on a Friday of Lent this year,” David A. Zubik, Bishop of Pittsburgh, wrote in a letter issued Wednesday. “After much consideration, I have chosen to dispense Catholics in the Diocese of Pittsburgh from the obligation to abstain from meat on Friday, March 17.”

Bishop Edward C. Malesic of the Catholic Diocese of Greensburg granted the same dispensation.

Are there any sacraments that are not dispensable?  This seems like a pretty lame excuse.  Especially if you happen to be an Italian Catholic eg.
Do Italian Catholics eat a traditional St. Paddy's Day supper?

And it's clear that all God's commandments have an off/on switch.

Online Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 08:01:33 AM »
Whats in a Paddy's day supper? I've a feeling I will like it...

Offline Redamare

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 08:20:06 AM »
To be fair, a big part of Catholic dogma includes the church having just this sort of sway with the man upstairs. "What you bind on Earth..." etc.

Which, if you ask me, makes many of the rules they do choose to enforce seem all the more petty.
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 10:41:40 AM »
Corned beef and cabbage. And 1/4 of the annual production of the Guinness brewery.

Online Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 10:49:34 AM »
Corned beef and cabbage. And 1/4 of the annual production of the Guinness brewery.
Im a big fan of the corned beef and cabbage! I showed it to my family when I got back from the US and they went mad for it at a family buffet picnic!

Offline gebobs

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 12:27:00 PM »
Once a year Catholics come out with smudges of ash on their foreheads on Ash Wednesday.  It's a sacrament I think.

Nah...ashes aren't a sacrament. The seven sacraments of the RCC are: baptism, confirmation, eucharist, penance, anointing of the sick, holy orders, and matrimony.

I did confession (penance) exactly once when I was about 13 or so before I finally wised up.

I did get married in a church but it didn't take. The second time around, we had a judge. A Jesuit priest, friend of the the family, came to the celebration. He asked to speak with us privately before the ceremony and we kinda figured he might say he would get us annulments for our previous marriages, not that we really cared. But no, he just wanted to ask us to get involved in a church, faithfully tithe, and perhaps someday the church would oblige.

Thanks, padre, not interested.

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 01:03:39 PM »

This is a common one in NYC as St. Patrick is the city's patron saint.

This is to allow Americans' of distant Irish descent to continue with their belief that Corned Beef is an "Irish" tradition rather than an Irish American tradition.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 01:26:59 PM »
The origins of Corned Beef and Cabbage as an Irish American tradition just fulfill stereotypes by the why.  It was given away as a loss leader in bars and preserved meat made fewer people sick than more traditional Irish food.  It is a delicious meal even if my non-irish mother was much more fond of it than my Irish father. 

The dispensation for the Irish to feast on St Patrick's Day is long standing tradition, so meh.  I'm sure if there's any other saints' days during the lent the the patronees of those saints likely get dispensation as well.