Author Topic: Lent  (Read 692 times)

Offline seamas

• Well Established
Re: Lent
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 01:32:12 PM »
My mother made corned Beef and cabbage quite often, but didn't make it for St Patrick's day.
She learned to cook from her grandmother, and St. Patrick's day was treated with more of a respectful nature  --so it was usually leg of lamb on St. Patrick's day.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 01:52:17 PM »
I'm reading all the responses in this thread with an Irish accent.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 02:17:41 PM »
I prefer corned beef from a Jewish deli over the stuff served in Irish-American bars.

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 02:44:06 PM »
My only issue is that I like to use the non Corned Beef while my roommate actually like to use the canned stuff.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 05:25:14 PM »
A delicious quick lunch is to take canned corned beef and a load of boiled cabbage and fry it all on a pan!
Since I invented it (shut up. I did!),its technically an Irish dish.
The canned stuff mashes really well into spuds too.
Hooo boy.
Time for second dinner...

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 06:28:41 PM »
I'm reading all the responses in this thread with an Irish accent.
I've been using Benedict Wong's voice.  >:D

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 11:16:39 AM »
Do Italian Catholics eat a traditional St. Paddy's Day supper?

Italian American Catholics?

Pretty much anywhere in the USA where there is a large contingent of both Irish/Americans and Italian/Americans, you will often see (though muted over time) a certain rivalry of the two ethnic groups.
Italian-Americans often made a point of wearing red on St Paddy's day to show everyone that the were NOT Irish.

And as far as feasting is concerned, I don't think a single self-respecting Italian American would dare consider Corned Beef & Cabbage to be a "feast".

Italian-Americans will often also make a point of celebrating St. Joseph's day (patron saint of Sicily) on March 19.
If it falls on a Friday, they don't give a shit, because Italians cook fish/seafood with aplomb--no damned fish-sticks for them.

In Italy itself, I doubt St Patrick's day is all that big a deal--they have other Saint's days to feast on-, and in Ireland, corned Beef and cabbage is NOT a traditional St Paddy's day meal at all.

Offline gebobs

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 10:58:00 AM »
Italian-Americans will often also make a point of celebrating St. Joseph's day (patron saint of Sicily) on March 19.
If it falls on a Friday, they don't give a shit, because Italians cook fish/seafood with aplomb--no damned fish-sticks for them.

My wife's grandfather emigrated from Sicily when he was quite young. As such, her family always celebrated St. Joseph's Day and her father would make a big pot of pasta con sarde, basically spaghetti or bucatini with a sardine sauce. I would always take one plate and choke it down with a smile. Not my favorite.

In hometown Buffalo, everyone celebrates St. Patrick's Day: the Irish, the German, the Poles. The Polish equivalent is Dyngus Day which is likewise celebrated across the board. For Italians, it's mostly the Italian Festival which comes around each July. St. Joseph's falls too close to St. Paddy's and everyone is still pretty hung over.

personate-rain