Author Topic: Policy on shadowbanning?  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Redamare

• Frequent Poster
Policy on shadowbanning?
« on: March 11, 2017, 08:25:04 AM »
Sometimes, being someone with a penchant for self consciousness, self doubt, and even self hate, when I log in and see no response to my posts, I become paranoid that I have said something wrong and gotten myself shadowbanned.

That is to say, banning a poster in such a way that the website treats them like normal except no one but them can see their posts.

Do we have a policy never to do this? If so, it would be one less thing for me to be irrational and paranoid about. Thanks!
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Policy on shadowbanning?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 10:18:41 AM »
I don't know about a policy, but I don't think we have the technical capability to do this if that helps ease your mind.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Redamare

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 12:39:09 PM »
I'll take it.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 12:41:37 PM »
I don't know about a policy, but I don't think we have the technical capability to do this if that helps ease your mind.

I think I speak for everyone in the mod cave when I say we a) would have no good reason to do such a thing, and b) couldn't be arsed.  Speaking for myself, I've never heard of this tactic and I think it sounds mean! 

Rest easy, Redamare.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline Redamare

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 12:43:15 PM »
Yeah I think so, too. Thanks.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 06:35:27 AM »
I do know the feeling you are talking about and it does feel shit.
I guess sometimes I just havent made the point I thought I did or someone gets locked in to a particular exchange and wants to focus on that.

Sometimes it may just be a case that a particular post looks like a box nobody really feels like opening if they dont have to?
I know that if I feel there are too many premises that need to be accepted between my view and another persons view then I generally wont bother as the point will get lost on one of those hurdles.

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 06:54:58 AM »
Ironically until Harry posted to confirm he read your post you could have been shadowbanned so that only admins/mods could see your posts :P
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 10:27:06 AM »
We have a number of options for bans. We can either ban you from the forum completely or just suspend your posting privileges (like we often do for suspensions). We can also take away your ability to register a new account (by IP address) or prevent you from logging in.

In all of these cases you're notified. 'Shadow bans' aren't in the forum rules, so yes, you can say that the lack of a policy about using them counts as a policy not to use them. I'm also pretty sure that posting announcements of all bans and suspensions in the FAR sub-forum is stated policy.

Rest assured that there is absolutely no reason for us to ban anyone in a surreptitious way, even disregarding the fact that doing so would make us sneaky bastards who abuse their powers.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 10:29:39 AM »
I think Johnny Slick has been shadowbanned since 1983.  Ironically it's not by this forum, but by everything else.  We're the only people who know he exists :( :( :(

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 10:31:16 AM »
If nobody responds to this post with the words "koala kumquat cookie dough" then teethering is correct and I truly have been shadowbanned since the early days of the Internet. :(
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 02:37:51 PM »
I can actually see a use for such a technique with someone like Awesome220 who won't accept their ban. Trolls who are ignored really do tend to go away, in the end. And, I must confess that, although it may show a character flaw, I would fine it amusing to watch him shouting into the void.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 02:51:43 PM »
I think Johnny Slick has been shadowbanned since 1983.  Ironically it's not by this forum, but by everything else.  We're the only people who know he exists :( :( :(
settle down M Night.  >:D
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 03:43:54 PM »
I can actually see a use for such a technique with someone like Awesome220 who won't accept their ban. Trolls who are ignored really do tend to go away, in the end. And, I must confess that, although it may show a character flaw, I would fine it amusing to watch him shouting into the void.

But then you wouldn't see it.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 04:05:02 PM »

But then you wouldn't see it.

Ahem.  Tech admin, here. ;-)

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 04:28:05 PM »
Individual users are able to ignore whoever* they want, and if enough users ignore you that could have the same effect.

*Not sure if that applies to moderators. If you set it to ignore a mod that's just asking for trouble.

Your mileage may vary.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"