Author Topic: Episode #609  (Read 3167 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #609
« on: March 11, 2017, 01:52:33 PM »
Forgotten Superheroes of Science: Valentina Tereshkova; News Items: The Science March, Giving Mars a Magnetic Field, Death of the Liberation Procedure, Supersolids; Who’s That Noisy; Your Questions and E-mails: Saturn V vs Falcon Heavy, Moving the Goalpost vs No True Scotsman; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline yrdbrd

• Brand New
Re: Episode #609
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 04:00:29 PM »
Yay, cawfee tawk!

Since Jay didn't get into the details, here's what I do, and I bet it's similar.
1. Start with good quality, single origin coffee beans, roasted in the last week or so.
2. Bring your water to the boil.
3. While the water is coming to a boil, grind the beans in your burr grinder, I use a Rancilio Rocky, and get your dose ready by weight.
4. Get your pour over station ready: put a paper filter in the dripper, set the dripper atop your server, put both on your combination scale/timer. I use Hario gear for all of this.
5. Pour hot water into the filter/dripper/server to prep the filter and raise the temperature of the gear. Pour it out. Pour hot water into your gooseneck kettle, and into your serving cups.
6. The bloom: add your ground beans to the filter. Tare the scale. Add 50 g of water (use your IR thermometer to verify a temp of 205 F) and trip the timer. Let the grounds dampen and bubble for 30".
7. The brew: over the next 2.5-3 minutes, add water by weight to hit your desired ratio. My standard is 31.9 g of coffee and 532 g of water for two mugs of coffee.
8. Dump the hot water from the serving cups, pour in your brewed coffee from the server.

May seem like a lot of work, but it becomes automatic, doesn't take long, and the results are awesome!

No big whoop.

Offline Lee Daniel Crocker

• Brand New
  • Free software developer, poker player
    • My Wikipedia User Page
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 05:12:23 PM »
One word: AeroPress!

OK, a few extra words: Inverted method, Capresso grinder, and of course good beans and water. You can even make a good espresso/latte/cappuccino without the expensive machine. Use a double filter, fine grind, pack the grounds, and get some leverage so you can apply some serious force to the press. You can then use that useless old french press to froth milk, which it does quite well.
-- Lee Daniel Crocker
"To the extent possible by law, I waive all copyright and neighboring or
related rights in all creative work original to me."

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 06:49:08 PM »
Fire and lightning are also common, natural, terrestrial sources of plasma.

Plasma reacts to radio waves / microwaves in a similar way to a metal:

Regarding the SGU membership promotion: They resisted the urge to boldly split infinitives that no podcast had split before.

Offline Elapid

• Brand New
  • Insatiably Curious
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 07:17:47 PM »
Great episode! I'd like to say, though, rather than 'alter ego', I've always considered Egnor to be Dr. Novella's nemesis.
My favorite questions are the ones I don't know the answers to!

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 07:25:19 PM »
Rooibos:

ROY bus
ROY boss
ROY boz

Tea snobs and coffee snobs kind of crack me up.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 07:38:02 PM »
The Mars potato is deceptively confusing: even if the atmopshere is only 1% of Earth, since it is mostly CO2, the ratio of partial pressure of CO2 to partial pressure of water vapor would actually be much higher. This is a suprisingly major point: plants are limited in how much CO2 they can exchange by how much water they can afford to lose by keeping the stomata open (transpiration).

I believe the low vacuum (much lower partial pressure of water vapor) would cause it to evaporate water faster, but that it would still exchange more CO2 relative to water vapor lost.

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 04:22:39 AM »
I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks of merging Mercury and Venus as a big talking point when talking about terraforming (because I so rarely hear or see it being discussed).

Mars seems to be as good as it gets for a starting point, but Mercury is entirely worthless where it is, and Venus is so messed up it's going to take a lot of time and effort whatever we want to do with it. Mercury+Venus would have a greater potential of becoming a second Earth, being closer in mass and gaining more molten iron for the magnetosphere. It might take millions of years to do it, but that's the kind of perspective we're dealing with when talking about the future of our species/offshoots.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 04:33:24 AM by 2397 »

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 05:22:42 AM »
A true Scotsman would be very upset if you moved the goalposts.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 08:47:13 PM »
Ive tried coffee made by serious coffee people and my personal taste still leans more toward starbucks.
Weird, I know.

Regarding Cara's objection to colonisation- I dont think its quite comparable to past colonial efforts. It will drastically increase the odds of the survival of our species.
One can say that other species and alien microbes should be just as valuable to us as we are ourselves and I can get that perspective, but that line of thought suggests we should be tiny tribes of people gathering berries and living in caves rather than interfere with nature at all?
And again, I get that, I just cant agree with it and its definitely incompatible with the desire to potentially disturb said microbes just for the sake of curiosity and science as opposed to survival.

Hopefully though, there is a way we can move there and somewhat maintain the environment.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 10:50:01 PM »
Ive tried coffee made by serious coffee people and my personal taste still leans more toward starbucks.
Weird, I know.

Definitely weird. 
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 05:39:54 AM »
I've had good coffee, but for home my go-to is still plain old instant.

I am, however, something of a tea snob. I have several types of tea, none of which have ever seen a bag, and none of which you can buy at the local supermarket.

I use a single-cup infuser, pour boiling water straight over it then leave it to steep for a few minutes. I don't care much about the temperature of the water (although it must be boiling) or exactly how long I leave it to steep. I steep until I feel that it's ready.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 06:24:39 AM »
Weird, I know.

Definitely weird.
To be fair, my favourite coffee comes from my cafetier. But thats just the cheapest possible ground beans I can find and kettle boiled water.

I actually feel very fortunate to have such an unrefined pallette because I feel like I get to enjoy a wider range of wines, food, coffee etc and dont have to spend much to be satisfied.

Offline gebobs

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 10:05:12 AM »
We'll be marching on the Capitol and the White House (though it's unlikely Trump will be there).

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 10:22:42 AM »
One of my greatest regrets in life is having become a bit of a beer snob, I'd save so much money and likely drink less if I was satisfied with coors.   I'm happy to be satisfied with crappy old grounds that were roasted who knows when and who knows where.   I feel the same about wine, I dislike whites generally and I'm fine with reds generally.  I save a lot of money that way. 

personate-rain
personate-rain