Author Topic: Episode #609  (Read 3184 times)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
Re: Episode #609
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2017, 03:23:06 PM »
Worse, Rex Tillerson, Secretary of State, has apparently been privately acknowledging climate change on a secret email address while publicly denying it as the head of one of the worst industrial culprits. This rises to the area of criminality, and hopefully Exxon will be held to account.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/14/news/rex-tillerson-exxon-climate-change-email/

Exxon has been pulling that sort of shit for literally decades, and I have absolutely no doubt that they knew exactly what they were doing every step of the way. As long as they remain economically and politically relevant, I have zero confidence in politicians' willingness to hold them accountable to any degree that would actually hurt them. It enrages me that people get away with this shit, but they very often do.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:30:36 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline lucek

• Off to a Start
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2017, 03:45:09 PM »
Just finished the science or fiction segment. The talk about mold consuption and antibiotics brings up an interesting point. Basically no it wouldn't have been used as such. When the first pacent was treated it took literal tons of mold to produce enough for treating 1 man. Later using a form of genetic modifacation called radiation gardening a strain was developed that produced 1000x the antibiotic chemical compared to the wild mold.

Online Ron Obvious

• Off to a Start
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2017, 07:17:48 PM »
Oh, and BTW: Tea should always be made with water that has been boiled, and NEVER drunk from a paper or styrofoam cup. NEVER! That's alright for coffee or cocoa, but never for tea.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

;D

I may have just promoted you.

Hey, you'd be surprised at how often I've been served tea made from microwaved water served in a paper cup.  Sacrilege! Every time I've showed people how to make a proper cup of tea, they're amazed how good tea can be.  Microwaved water really isn't the same.

Oh, btw: everyone who drinks tea should have an electric kettle instead of boiling water on the range. Unless you have a gas-range, you'll be amazed how fast and efficient it is, and you might even see an immediate lowering of your electric bill.

That said, thanks for the promotion.  :)

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2017, 08:13:03 PM »
Oh, and BTW: Tea should always be made with water that has been boiled, and NEVER drunk from a paper or styrofoam cup. NEVER! That's alright for coffee or cocoa, but never for tea.

$6 per bottle wine is about 80% as good as $20 per bottle wine.  This is good value.

Microwaved tea is about 90% as good as boiled water tea, and a lot faster.  That is good efficiency.

Electric kettles don't work nearly so well at 110v.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2017, 08:23:10 PM »
I'm definitely a middle-80 guy for almost everything, including coffee. Take out 0-10th percentile as too low in quality, take out the 91st to 100th percentile as too much work. Give me anything else in the 11th to 90th percentile and I'm fine, so dont break your back upping the quality on my account.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2017, 08:30:40 PM »
I have a point of pedantry about Science or Fiction that might change the result.

(click to show/hide)
I didn't read your spoiler before because I hadn't yet listened to that part of the podcast. Now I have, and I completely agree.

(click to show/hide)

I'd be surprised if Steve doesn't get a heap of emails about this.

Online 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2017, 08:58:22 PM »
$6 per bottle wine is about 80% as good as $20 per bottle wine.  This is good value.

Microwaved tea is about 90% as good as boiled water tea, and a lot faster.  That is good efficiency.

As opposed to 220v? Didn't know there was a difference. And looking it up, I'm still not sure that there is a difference. A watt is a watt, regardless of how you produce it.

I also didn't know that US homes actually get 240v, but that it's then split up to 120v. I suppose if you can draw more power from the same outlet, that's what makes the difference.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2017, 09:16:18 PM »

As opposed to 220v? Didn't know there was a difference. And looking it up, I'm still not sure that there is a difference. A watt is a watt, regardless of how you produce it.

I also didn't know that US homes actually get 240v, but that it's then split up to 120v. I suppose if you can draw more power from the same outlet, that's what makes the difference.

That's why electric stoves and ovens and dryers are 240v in the USA, but other appliances are limited.  Typical 240v tea kettles are 1800 - 2000 W,   120v is... about half that.
Amend and resubmit.

Online Ron Obvious

• Off to a Start
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2017, 09:39:09 PM »

Oh, I don't agree at all.  Nowhere near 90%.  I also don't know why 110v v 220v would make a difference.

Offline yrdbrd

• Brand New
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2017, 10:28:24 PM »

Thankfully, the same is true of $150 wine vs. $500.

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2017, 07:06:52 AM »
I rarely see an electric kettle, like the one in every British home, in stores or homes in the US. I use the old fashioned kettle on the stove. Slow, but part of my tea ritual. I also picked up, in my England years, the habit of making coffee in a French press. Good coffee to me has a little mud in it.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2017, 10:15:00 AM »
I also don't know why 110v v 220v would make a difference.

Ooh here's a thing I can answer.

The limiting factor in electrical wiring is the current carried - not the power delivered, but the current.  So no matter where you are, you're looking at a max of about 10-12A being delivered to your kettle.

In North America, that gives you on the order of 1200W of heating available.  In Europe, it's more like 2500W.  That's the difference.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2017, 12:18:34 PM »

The limiting factor in electrical wiring is the current carried - not the power delivered, but the current.  So no matter where you are, you're looking at a max of about 10-12A being delivered to your kettle.

In North America, that gives you on the order of 1200W of heating available.  In Europe, it's more like 2500W.  That's the difference.

Okay, so you're saying to plug my electric kettle into my dryer outlet, right?
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2017, 12:27:56 PM »

Actually if you have a European kettle, that's not the worst thing I can imagine.  Don't do it with your shitty NA one though.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2017, 12:29:37 PM »

I propose just microwaving your tea.

Do Euro homes have the same 15-20 amp circuits as USA homes?  There's no reason USA homes couldn't have bigger capacity 120v circuits - they'd just need bigger wires... but it's probably a code thing not to.

Amend and resubmit.

personate-rain