Author Topic: Race/Poverty and Authenticity (and cultural appropriation?)  (Read 889 times)

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
Re: Race/Poverty and Authenticity (and cultural appropriation?)
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 10:16:38 AM »
Can you define what you mean by "getting" the music?
Not really, no.

Since your whole post centers around who "gets" the art and when, I think it's vital to figure this out.
I also find it hard to create sculpture that explains poetry.

Well it's a good thing I'm not asking you to create art for me to interpret--rather to simply to define the terms you choose to use in your discussion topic.  ;D
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 10:29:24 AM »
That term in particular is a thing that only loosely defines a concept that, frankly, is beyond my ken to spell out. Sorry, sometimes language can't do things you want it to do.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 02:30:03 PM »
That term in particular is a thing that only loosely defines a concept that, frankly, is beyond my ken to spell out. Sorry, sometimes language can't do things you want it to do.

That's cool--it's just that your ruminations seem to center around that term specifically. It seems like you're having trouble defining the the same term that's causing me problems, so at least we're on the same page.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 10:11:16 PM »
Remember that moment on The Man Show where Adam made a sexist joke, clearly meaning it ironically, and then the audience cheered, and the hosts realized the true nature of what they had created?  Artists create things, but it ain't art without an audience, and you have no power to control how others interpret your work.
Banned from both Hacker News and the xkcd forum.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 10:17:57 PM »

That's cool--it's just that your ruminations seem to center around that term specifically. It seems like you're having trouble defining the the same term that's causing me problems, so at least we're on the same page.
Right... I'm not even *really* coming to conclusions here; I'm just noticing a concept and, like, poking it and stuff.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 10:20:30 PM »

Right... I'm not even *really* coming to conclusions here; I'm just noticing a concept and, like, poking it and stuff.

I'm always game for such poking.  :pervert:

Remember that moment on The Man Show where Adam made a sexist joke, clearly meaning it ironically, and then the audience cheered, and the hosts realized the true nature of what they had created?  Artists create things, but it ain't art without an audience, and you have no power to control how others interpret your work.

I've heard that Chappelle left when he did at least in part because he felt some people were laughing for the wrong reasons.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 10:46:32 PM »
Yeah... that might be more blatant because I feel like white people *can* "get" Chapelle's humor and could circa 2003, but at the same time I remember being in college at the time and hearing frat boys screaming "I'M RICK JAMES BIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH" at each other along the Ave. I feel like Chappelle's / Charlie Murphy's messages there were "Rick James was kind of a weird guy, and Prince is a bit crazy too, albeit in a less slap-happy, more inclusive way" and an awful lot of people took it as "lol black people are funny". There actually may even be overlapping territory here; I'll cite Lula's behavior at the end of the play I cited in the OP as a 1960s example of a woman doing the exact same thing (as well as the black main character's reaction - it felt like his only choices were to laugh and accept the bastardization of his culture or rail against this stuff and be silenced). Is it *quite* the same thing? Now that I'm spelling it out, I'm not sure, actually.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 12:46:15 AM »
I think my feeling is more like "any person of any demographic can 'get' any art," whichever way you're defining "get."

Whether or not somebody "gets" a given art is not affected by their (insert demographic here)-ness, even if you can make correlations and statistically-likely generalizations with said demographic qualities.

personate-rain