Author Topic: "Mad Dog" Agrees Climate Change Real  (Read 243 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
"Mad Dog" Agrees Climate Change Real
« on: March 15, 2017, 02:18:05 PM »
When "Mad Dog" is the voice of sanity

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/james-mattis-us-defence-secretary-climate-change-destabilise-world-security-donald-trump-global-a7630676.html

US Defense Secretary James Mattis says climate change is already destabilizing the world

The US Defence Secretary, General James ‘Mad Dog’ Mattis, has warned that climate change is already destabilising parts of the world.

In written responses to questions put during his confirmation hearings, which were not published but were obtained by the ProPublica news website, the former Marine Corps officer indicated he had very different views to other leading members of the Trump administration.

While the new head of the Environmental Protection Agency recently denied that carbon dioxide is causing global warming – an idea scientists have compared to disputing gravity – General Mattis made clear climate change was a serious problem.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: "Mad Dog" Agrees Climate Change Real
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »
The military has been ahead of the curve on this for some time.  It's their job to anticipate conflicts, and they're not willing to overlook a significant source of global instability for ideological reasons.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: "Mad Dog" Agrees Climate Change Real
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 04:14:05 PM »
Also the CIA, they've listed climate change as one of the top national security threat for some time.  The military also has concerns about depending on unstable oil producers.  I don't where it is now but they have been doing research in potential biofuels to replace pretty much all oil based fuel they use now.