Author Topic: What do Christians mean when they say that they love Jesus?  (Read 294 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
What do Christians mean when they say that they love Jesus?
« on: March 17, 2017, 12:29:11 AM »
I think this might be something interesting to discuss.
Seems to be very nebulous.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
Re: What do Christians mean when they say that they love Jesus?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 09:11:52 AM »
this is a complicated topic, here's what I have always hear growing up in the Jewish faith.

you love god like a father figure, with the understanding that not everything he does always makes sense to you at the time and sometimes seems unfair.

Online Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 09:38:09 AM »
You want data?  My pie charts are made with a secret family recipe, my relationship charts stay committed even through tough times, and my line charts will get get high as fuck!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 11:31:17 AM »
I wonder if it's one of those things where Christians have their own meanings for words.  I'm told, for instance, that "faith" means something other than "belief without evidence" to a Christian. *shrug*
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 11:44:22 AM »
I wonder if it's one of those things where Christians have their own meanings for words.  I'm told, for instance, that "faith" means something other than "belief without evidence" to a Christian. *shrug*
It might be, my sister has all sorts of phrases that don't quite mean what I think they should.  I'd amend it to "some christians" though.  Your mainline varieties don't seem to do that as much.

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 11:50:13 AM »
I think it means they love the idea of Jesus.

What I don't get is the "personal relationship with Jesus"... that's a real falsifiable claim.
Amend and resubmit.

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 12:48:14 PM »
I think it means they love the idea of Jesus.

What I don't get is the "personal relationship with Jesus"... that's a real falsifiable claim.
Even if its a magical voice in their head?

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 02:09:14 PM »
I think this is more an emotional handhold without a whole lot of thought given. From early childhood a lot of Christian kids sing the song that says "Oh, how I love Jesus, because he first loved me."

Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 03:14:29 PM »
I am on a forum with a fair amount of Christians and temped to ask but get the feeling that I would get a shit storm.
I have to wonder if maybe,  like many things, it is an issue that many never actually think about.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »
I am on a forum with a fair amount of Christians and temped to ask but get the feeling that I would get a shit storm.
I have to wonder if maybe,  like many things, it is an issue that many never actually think about.

Recall also the scriptural assertion that "God is love." So this expression is also part of this supposed tautology. To be Christian, in this sense, is to love everybody. Except, you know, gays and furreners.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 04:44:46 PM »
When you think about how amazing it is that Jesus is there to forgive you and pull your ass out of the muck no matter how much you screw up, you feel love toward him.  He's always there for you, and all you have to do is ask him for forgiveness and help, regardless of how long you've been away or what you've done that you know hurts him.  How could you not love someone who loves you unconditionally like that?  And not only does he do it for you, he'll do it for anyone.  I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

Note:  I just made all that up as if I believed it to illustrate how I think they feel about it.

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 04:58:40 PM »
Ultimately that's something Christians should be answering.

Looking back at myself as a Christian, I don't think I ever did. Couldn't really get into the religion beyond what I had been told was true, and the whole "believe in this or else" threat. Overall I got the impression that fear was a lot more important than love. At this time I would say that there isn't really that much love in the religion. The people are the ones who care. They've been conditioned to see their beliefs and their god as critical to how they live their lives, and so they think that it's because of their beliefs that they care.

I certainly don't see anything loving about sacrificing children, or sacrificing anyone for something that you're responsible for and can solve without harming anyone.

Nor do I see sacrificing yourself as meaningful, if you could accomplish whatever it was that you were trying to without doing that. How about not condemning people for the sins of their ancestors? How about not condemning people for being regular people who never harmed anyone (beyond stupid acts where a simple apology to the actual person they harmed will do)? How about leaving it up to human justice systems, since your non-interventionist scheme doesn't come into effect in life anyway?

I think we listen to a lot of the same podcasts.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 05:01:06 PM by 2397 »

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 06:55:05 PM »
Back when I was a catholic I found the exagerrated Jesus love to be very weird and alien.
Maybe its just because Jesus is acatchier word than God? Because surely the reason the love Jesus is because he told them about god....thats like calling yourself a radio fan because it introduced you to your favourite band that you never mention and wearing 'Radio' merch.

Edit- I mean the jesus love from other denominations. Mainly  Evangelicals I think.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:54:52 AM by Harry Black »

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 10:33:53 PM »

personate-rain