Author Topic: Charge port in your belly button  (Read 482 times)

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
Charge port in your belly button
« on: March 17, 2017, 03:10:14 PM »
What if there were a way to retrofit our innards to install a charge port for electronic devices. (USB-C, probably, or whatever you'd need.) What kind of power do we run on, how much energy could we output to a phone? (See maths below.) What would that do, physically? Would one get exhausted after a few minutes? Or hours?

Google says you get 1 KwH for every 860,420.65 calories (small C).

It also says that if you charge your device for 2 hours every other day at 1.2A. That means you'll spend 365 hours charging your device in a year. At 6 watts, that's 2190 watt-hours, or 2.19 kilowatt-hours (kWh). Which means that's 1,884,321 cal, or 1,884 Cal food units. That's pretty close to all the energy the average adult uses over a day, but spread over a year. Doesn't seem so bad. But it also seems really, really low. I feel like I'm missing something.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Charge port in your belly button
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 12:47:29 AM »
It also says that if you charge your device for 2 hours every other day at 1.2A

Theres very few phones these days which charge on 1 amp, most charge on 2.1 amps and/or at higher than 5V. I wouldnt get away with only 2 hours every 2nd day, either.

Apart from that Id say its a matter of efficiency. What do you mean by you "get" 1KWH for 860 kilocal? Is that straight conversion, or including digestion inefficiency? What would be the efficiency of converting from metabolites back into electrical current again? Etc.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 05:23:30 AM »
I'd first of all worry about if it's safe. The skin is a significant line of defense, and having things like an insulin pump installed is something you're going to spend a lot of time keeping up with. It would take a whole lot for me to see it being worth it over simply carrying a battery powered battery charger.

But yeah, 1 kWh=~860 kcal. Leaving a typical person with 3 charges for a 1 kWh device per day. And then they die after a few weeks, without consuming anything extra. So maybe at one charge every other day for a 2 kWh phone, if they're walking around with enough food and water that it would've otherwise supported them, with no other opportunities to charge the phone, they could last a few months. Wasting away.

Could be a way to diet. If you can rig it to primarily burn white fat cells. And if it doesn't proportionally increase your appetite.

What do you mean by you "get" 1KWH for 860 kilocal? Is that straight conversion, or including digestion inefficiency? What would be the efficiency of converting from metabolites back into electrical current again? Etc.

That's at 100% efficiency. https://www.unitjuggler.com/convert-energy-from-kWh-to-cal.html

I think it's worth keeping in mind that humans get most of their energy from oxygen, because the amount of energy compared to a phone seemed pretty low to me as well.

Edit: Actually I missed something very significant, and you were right when you said the phone charge was over an entire year. So it would require nothing, really. You would barely notice it. Maybe charge an electric car off of yourself, and you'll take notice.

Edit2: Constantly running a laptop is something that can use about 1 kWh per day, so that could be the way to go for dieting.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 05:55:11 AM by 2397 »

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 06:09:36 AM »
Honestly a super low powered arithmetic calculator with a direct neural interface sounds so much more useful.
I agree with Clunn, which makes me feel all weird inside.

Online Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 02:31:43 PM »
It might be easier to install USB charging ports in my shoes.  Siphoning off a little of the energy I spend walking around each day should be feasible and efficient.

Another interesting idea would be to make exchanging cell phone batteries work like propane tanks.  With a propane tank for my grill, I go to a store, drop off my empty tank, and pick up a full tank without having to wait for my original tank to be refilled.  This would work great for cars and cell phones.  For my phone, I would have a battery in my phone and one in my shoe.  When my phone battery gets low, I swap them.

And as for the same idea with cars, imagine pulling into a fuel station where an automated arm pulls out your battery and sticks in a new one in about 5 seconds, and off you go.  The spent battery is then charged through solar cells and windmills until it is ready to go into another car that needs one.  It would be an interesting computer simulation to see how many batteries and how much solar and wind capacity would be needed to support a given rate of use by electric car customers.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 07:42:53 PM »
Honestly a super low powered arithmetic calculator with a direct neural interface sounds so much more useful.

How about something like an embedded Z80?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 07:54:11 PM »
That makes me think of a sci-fi body modification device.

In the future, instead of slaving away at the gym to get skinny, you can get an artificial "organ" installed that burns a certain number of excess calories a day. The excess energy from this burning will transmitted to a usb port located in the belly button, or to a nearby battery if nothing is currently plugged in,

Online Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 05:25:56 PM »

In the future, instead of slaving away at the gym to get skinny, you can get an artificial "organ" installed that burns a certain number of excess calories a day. The excess energy from this burning will transmitted to a usb port located in the belly button, or to a nearby battery if nothing is currently plugged in,

Oh, forget my shoe idea.  I want this.

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 05:52:16 PM »
Yeah, Jesus, that not only sounds doable, it sounds marketable. I can just see how, 50 years from now, all First Worlders will be wonderfully trim and fit and older folks will bemoan the days where you had to "work out" in order to look like a million dollars.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 05:54:16 PM »
Yeah, Jesus, that not only sounds doable, it sounds marketable. I can just see how, 50 years from now, all First Worlders will be wonderfully trim and fit and older folks will bemoan the days where you had to "work out" in order to look like a million dollars.

you underestimate our ability to be convinced that our bodies are disgusting.  There will be new marvelous ways for us to not attain our standards.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 06:46:09 PM »
I wonder what kind of metabolic process it could replicate.

I guess it would be burning the glucose in the blood that passes through it. Mebey some artificial muscle cells can be built to burn glucose and perform some repetitive task in the transplant.

Sorry, the players in my dnd game are about to go into space, so I have sci-fi on the brain.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 07:08:40 AM »

Why not just have a chemical that keeps the body from storing excess, and useless, calories?

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 08:30:44 AM »
Why not just have a chemical that keeps the body from storing excess, and useless, calories?

Or have the body store an equivalent amount of energy in the form of antimatter, so that it's easier to carry around.

Online Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 01:33:43 PM »
Or have it produce antifatter that, when it comes into contact with regular fat, causes mutual annihilation!

personate-rain