Author Topic: Episode #610  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #610
« on: March 18, 2017, 11:33:47 AM »
What’s the Word: Fractal; News Items: New Hominid Skulls, Solar Roadway Disaster, Dark Anti-Vax Conspiracies, Fast Radio Bursts and Aliens; Who’s That Noisy; Your Questions and E-mails: Tea and Coffee Follow Up; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline elert

• Off to a Start
    • The Physics Hypertextbook
Re: Episode #610
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 12:56:56 PM »
The name Benoît is French, so the final t is not pronounced. It is a old form of the word "béni", which means "blessed". It's analogous to Benedict in English. The name Mandelbrot is German, so the final t is pronounced. It literally means "almond bread".

Benoît Mandelbrot = Blessed Almond Bread.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 01:00:37 PM by elert »

Offline Ron Obvious

• Off to a Start
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 01:45:28 PM »
Balls.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 02:18:38 PM »
I think you guys should look further into Benoit Mandelbrot.  The 'T' is pronounced at the end of Mandelbrot.

Every single time I've heard the T pronounced.  Even Nova says it that way.

https://youtu.be/ZbK92bRW2lQ?t=3m37s

and

(They even address him as MandelbroT in the above video)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:20:54 PM by Belgarath »
#notarealskeptic

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 02:22:37 PM »
One more example:

Bob was right!  :)
#notarealskeptic

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 02:25:51 PM »
Case closed.  When the man pronounces his own name:

#notarealskeptic

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 01:02:40 AM »
The flat white is a Kiwi export, btw. 

NZ is the second best country for coffee, a close second to Italy and well ahead of Oz.  The US is maybe 27th.

It's all in the bean and the roast, IMHO.  If one can't tell the difference between a well roasted quality bean, brewed by even a half good barista from some grocery store brand... I feel nothing but pity for them.

And it makes me sceptical about wine tasters.  I mean, I could taste the difference between a Central Otago pinot and one from the Hawkes bay in my sleep... and  could tell if I was given an Ozzie shiraz and a Marlborough sav blanc I'd tell them apart if I was dead!

"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 01:49:52 AM »
Q: What does the "B" in Benoit B. Mandelbrot stand for?

A:
(click to show/hide)

Offline DamoET

• Off to a Start
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 07:32:49 AM »
 I understand that this is an anecdote so take from it what you will.

I have been drinking non instant coffee for the last 7-8 years.  A mate of mine bought me some 'Illy' ground coffee and a plunger (French press as I discovered the Yanks call it ;D) an it was the best coffee I had ever made.  From there I was hooked and never went back to instant.  (At a pinch, I will emergency some Nescafe espresso instant, but there has to be no other real option.  I will also use ground coffee like instant and let the grounds settle to the bottom of the cup if I don't have a machine or plunger.)

A couple of years after my intro to real coffee, I bought a self grinding coffee maker, but it was a bit of a pain the ass to use and clean, and the coffee didn't taste that much better through it.  So I went back to the plunger and ground my own beans.  Although the coffee was good, it still wasn't up to the good barista coffee from a cafe (not Macca's or other faux coffee shops) that I used as a yard stick. 

Over the last 3 years I had tried stove top percolator (not bad), too messy and laborious.  I even started to self grade different coffee blends/grinds and have a list of coffee on a scale of 1 - 10.  There are at least 25 different coffees on the list and a favorite pre-ground and whole bean (surprisingly the best pre-ground is better than the majority of whole bean's!).

Around 12 months ago I bought (2nd hand $70. $700 new) my first proper espresso machine and the difference in taste is obvious with the same coffee as used previously.  I would think 9 out of 10 of the different coffee's I have made with it taste better than with plunger or percolator.   
  With a new coffee I am going to try, I eat a bean or two to get an idea of the flavor the final product will give, it seems to be a good indication of the taste of coffee through the machine, but not necessarily the plunger. 

For my morning coffee I have to use the plunger as the machine is too loud, but in the afternoon and evening, I have the better tasting machine coffee.  I would think I could pick the difference between my machine and plunger any day of the week.

On a side note, I have done a coke v pepsi double blind test with my wife and was quite surprised that I didn't do as well as I thought I would. ;)

Damien
Do not fear God, fear ignorance.  For ignorance will lead you to fearing 'God' (and a whole bunch of other whacky shit!)

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 09:41:07 AM »
The flat white is a Kiwi export, btw. 

NZ is the second best country for coffee, a close second to Italy and well ahead of Oz.  The US is maybe 27th.

It's all in the bean and the roast, IMHO.

If this is true, then you should be able to present emperical evidence that Italy and NZ are using different beans or roasting technology than the US.  What's that you say?  Same beans and same roasting?  Yea, I thought so.
#notarealskeptic

Offline UnicornPoop

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 10:48:36 AM »
After reading The Three Body Problem trilogy, I've gained a new perspective and now not so dismissive a Steve is on aliens and FRBs. Do I think it's aliens? No. But I don't dismiss it so easily.

And Steve's statistical argument where he says we should expect two such events a year falls apart when some of those occurrences come from the same location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 11:41:27 AM »
And Steve's statistical argument where he says we should expect two such events a year falls apart when some of those occurrences come from the same location.

Randomness is clumpy.

Online Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 03:47:46 PM »
They are Huntsman Spiders not Hunter spiders in Oz.

and as big and scary as they look, they are a non-aggressive and safe spider. Quite safe to pick up and carry outside.
I still use a dish, but I know people who pick them up by hand.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 10:32:29 PM »
Here in Arizona, we have a spider that I thought was a Huntsman Spider.  It's light brown, about the size of a black widow.  The cool think about it is that you can shine a bright flashlight out into the yard and find the spiders by the reflection of their eyes.  It's really amazing.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline brilu34

• Off to a Start
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 08:26:00 AM »
I am an exterminator for 20 years. Steve and Cara are both incorrect. Brown Recluse spiders don't live in either CT or CA. This is the 2nd time Steve has claimed Brown Recluse spiders live in CT. He did it on a show with Bill Nye a few years ago & Bill wrongly claimed Brown Recluse spiders lived in WA.   https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef631

personate-rain