Author Topic: Strange Weather  (Read 296 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Strange Weather
« on: March 20, 2017, 06:03:26 PM »
I am curious what is the strangest weather you have ever been through?
Does not have to be dangerous, just strange.

The reason why I was asking is that yesterday morning, on my ride home, it was 35 degrees and snowing.
In fact, it was beginning to stick even slightly on my local road.

Checking the weather, it was suppose to get up to 49 degrees but still worried that I would not be able to get to work.
Went to bed and when I woke up in the afternoon to go to work, it was sunny and there was no sign of the snow.

May not be the strangest but still strange. Thought I would ask others?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
Re: Strange Weather
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 06:21:50 PM »
There has been zero plowable snow all winter in southern Iowa. I can't remember this happening before. A normal winter would have 2 or 3 blizzards out of the Great Plains, followed by melting. My friend who owns a plowing business had one day of work and that was to spread salt over morning ice.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline bimble

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 06:31:41 PM »
I
The reason why I was asking is that yesterday morning, on my ride home, it was 35 degrees and snowing.

Because we work in Celsius over here my first thought was, "damn, that is strange weather!!"

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 06:52:02 PM »
We have had a couple really strange months lately.

An incredibly mild February followed by a colder and snowier March.

Strangest weather I've seen in a long time was a blizzard before Halloween a couple years back.  I've lived in this area (Lower Hudson Valley) for about 9 years, and in areas near the region most of my life. I've never seen snow before mid-November--and the only time there was anything more than a dusting was when living in New Hampshire.

What made the blizzard all the more strange was the fact that the leaves were not only still on the trees, but a good majority hadn't yet turned color (which they would have done weeks earlier most years).
Made for a VERY scary blizzard as the snow was heavy and wet stuck to the leaves --large limbs were snapping from the weight constantly--it sounded like guns and explosives going off.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 07:00:41 PM »

Strangest weather I've seen in a long time was a blizzard before Halloween a couple years back.  I've lived in this area (Lower Hudson Valley) for about 9 years, and in areas near the region most of my life. I've never seen snow before mid-November--and the only time there was anything more than a dusting was when living in New Hampshire.

What made the blizzard all the more strange was the fact that the leaves were not only still on the trees, but a good majority hadn't yet turned color (which they would have done weeks earlier most years).

Made for a VERY scary blizzard as the snow was heavy and wet stuck to the leaves --large limbs were snapping from the weight constantly--it sounded like guns and explosives going off.

I remember that storm very well, it was just bizarre.  It was only about 5 inches or so around where I live, but as you said, because it was so early it did tremendous amount of tree damage.  Many people lost power in town, and also most people had not yet prepared for the winter in any way.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 07:14:11 PM »
Sat in my barracks and looked out on the harbor. Four waterspouts twisting around in the harbor, visible when the lightning flashed. Not surprising with a hurricane going about its business.

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 10:54:24 AM »

I remember that storm very well, it was just bizarre.  It was only about 5 inches or so around where I live, but as you said, because it was so early it did tremendous amount of tree damage.  Many people lost power in town, and also most people had not yet prepared for the winter in any way.

It was just 2 months after Hurricane Irene, which was downgraded to a Tropical Storm when it hit us--but was exacerbated by the fact that it followed some 2 weeks of very rainy weather.
The ground was completely saturated, so when the winds hit, full-sized healthy, hardwood trees started coming down all over the place. That was pretty scary.

I think I still had some firewood from those storms at the beginning of this fall.

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 11:27:27 AM »
The strangest weather I remember was in Tucson, I was 6 or 7 and the sky was filled with heat lighting. I had never seen anything like it before and it was awesome.

I agree with Mr. Beagle, this year in the mid west has been so mild that I'm expecting 6 inches of snow at the end of April. so far this winter in central Illinois there has been one day that had snow then ice, then snow, then ice, that was bad enough it kept me from driving into work.
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 11:33:44 AM »
I've been in all sorts of extreme weather - cold, snow, hail, rapid cooling or rapid warming (rapid temperature shifts are kind of our "thing", like swings of plus or minus 50C/90F in less than a day).  But those are fairly normal, if very active.

But "strange"... 

Thunder and lightning during a snowstorm, that was pretty strange.  Those don't normally coincide. 

Super intense thunder and lightning with no rain - terrifying.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline gebobs

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 11:59:10 AM »
Buffalo, Blizzard of '77. Basically what happened was that Lake Erie froze early due to unusually cold weather. In the subsequent weeks, the frozen lake was covered with a fine, powdery snow. From Thanksgiving up to the blizzard that began at the end of January, the temperature never got above freezing so the snow just built up on the lake and in the city. When the blizzard hit on January 28th, the 40-60 mph winds blew all the snow on the lake right into the city. Drifts of over six feet covered roads in just an hour. Within a day, there were drifts over 25 feet, trapping some cars beneath underpasses in a tomb of snow. The drifts at our house nearly came up to the second floor windows in spots.

For three weeks, the winds stayed strong, the temperatures stayed frigid, and the snow kept coming. The schools were closed. There was a driving ban in the city. Though I lived in Buffalo, I played for a suburban hockey team and the only way we could get to the games was with my friend's father who was a doctor so was exempt from the ban. I'm not sure what he would have said if the police pulled him over with three kids and their hockey equipment in the car.

A few dozen people died.

Now I live in Atlanta and the city is paralyzed with an inch. :-)

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 01:19:27 PM »
I am curious what is the strangest weather you have ever been through?
Does not have to be dangerous, just strange.

Checking the weather, it was suppose to get up to 49 degrees but still worried that I would not be able to get to work.
Went to bed and when I woke up in the afternoon to go to work, it was sunny and there was no sign of the snow.

May not be the strangest but still strange. Thought I would ask others?

One should expect that snow will fall about 200m below the freezing level.
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 06:44:35 PM »
Trying to think of something that has happened only very rarely; I think it was once or twice that it hadn't been snowing, and it wasn't snowing, but we got a whole bunch snow coming over with the wind.

personate-rain
personate-rain