Author Topic: Episode #611  (Read 2401 times)

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Episode #611
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 11:41:45 AM »
I believe I've have an ASMR response to one very specific stimuli.

Standing on a cliff over looking the ocean as large waves (15ft) crash just below.

I could stand and watch that for hours.
I'm the same way. I can watch rapids on a river or a stream for hours. It's just very hypnotic.  I also get the same effect with ocean waves. It can be at the shore or out at sea. I don't know if it is ASMR or what.

Waterfalls, too. The bigger the better.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 12:28:50 PM »
I love it so much when Joshie is on the show.  Just frames my work day in such a high energy/happy way.  I'm smiling all the way to bedtime.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Online Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 12:47:56 PM »
I love it so much when Joshie is on the show.  Just frames my work day in such a high energy/happy way.  I'm smiling all the way to bedtime.

Agreed.  Joshie has a unique perspective.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline richm78

• Off to a Start
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 03:27:18 PM »
re: ASMR - I get an ASMR tingle when Cara has demonstrated rolling her r's in past episodes of SGU or Talk Nerdy.  It's like a warm flush at the back of the head between the ears.  Also certain key moments in songs get to me, but I have a feeling it's the build up of the emotion of the song rather than a specific tone/pitch that's the cause.

I've yet to find an ASMR youtube video that does anything for me.

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 03:45:46 PM »

Standing on a cliff over looking the ocean as large waves (15ft) crash just below.

I'm the same way. I can watch rapids on a river or a stream for hours. It's just very hypnotic.  I also get the same effect with ocean waves. It can be at the shore or out at sea. I don't know if it is ASMR or what.

I like little waterfalls best: The ones that cascade down a mountain slope forming so many patterns as the water runs over rocks and divides into rivulets and re-combines endlessly.

I also love ocean waves. I cannot watch for a long time because I get antsy standing still, but I love the patterns and can watch for a good while. I got to see some great pounding surf on Maui. (Unlike waterfalls, I like big surf more than small surf.) Some day I'd like to see the really big waves on (I think?) Oahu and the surfers that get towed in by jet ski because the waves are too big to catch in the ordinary way.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2017, 03:50:03 PM »
And I agree that Joshie is great. I love Jewey or Fiction. As an atheist Jew not raised in the Jewish culture, I never know the answers, but I have a general sense of how idiotic is the religion of my ancestors. E.g., interpreting "Thou shalt not cook the lamb in its mother's milk" as meaning you can't ever eat any milk product with any meat, and you have to keep separate utensils.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2017, 08:12:40 PM »

Did either of you check out the youtube channel I posted upthread?

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2017, 09:20:39 PM »

Not me (I'm working, man!)

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2017, 10:08:21 PM »
I have done zero research on it outside of a Radiolab (or perhaps This American Life?), but I'm fairly certain that feeling sensations while observing beautiful scenery or getting chills during music is not ASMR.  I would consider those fairly typical responses to enjoyable stimuli.  Even people who don't feel tingly would still tell you they feel something when listening to intense music or observing a waterfall.  The aspect of ASMR that makes it interesting is that it involves people reacting to ordinarily mundane stimuli.  I suppose it could be the same underlying physiological mechanism, but broadening the definition of ASMR to include everything under the sun seems to make it a useless diagnosis.

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2017, 11:53:40 PM »

Not me (I'm working, man!)
So I went back to see what I missed. Was it a cooking link? Can you repost?

Your mileage may vary.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 06:45:14 AM »

I'll try later. It's hard at work and when I get home I forget all about it or don't have time.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 06:46:37 AM »
I have done zero research on it outside of a Radiolab (or perhaps This American Life?), but I'm fairly certain that feeling sensations while observing beautiful scenery or getting chills during music is not ASMR.  I would consider those fairly typical responses to enjoyable stimuli.  Even people who don't feel tingly would still tell you they feel something when listening to intense music or observing a waterfall.  The aspect of ASMR that makes it interesting is that it involves people reacting to ordinarily mundane stimuli.  I suppose it could be the same underlying physiological mechanism, but broadening the definition of ASMR to include everything under the sun seems to make it a useless diagnosis.

That sounds reasonable
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2017, 08:41:43 AM »
For a goy, I tend to be pretty good at the Science or Jewy.

The one about the bread dough made me wonder if it was ritualizing the practice of saving a piece of dough for use in the next day's bread --from the days before we knew about yeast.

For a jew I kinda suck at it because it's all as plausible and insane at the same time.
I love this segment, and Joshie is the absolute best!
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline Clengman

• Brand New
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2017, 11:58:14 AM »
I was always under the impression that the ASMR response was primarily to the sound - whispering or scratching sounds in particular. If performing actions slowly and precisely is the key, may I suggest Almazan Kitchen as a possible source? I've been watching this channel for a while now and from the description given in the podcast it seems to me that it might be good. I don't experience ASMR so I can't tell. Anyone feel like opining?

I registered for the forum after hearing the latest episode just so I could comment on ASMR. You get it, dude. The video in the link pushes all my tingly buttons.

Offline Clengman

• Brand New
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 01:16:19 PM »
Re: ASMR

I've experienced the sensation for as long as I can remember. I'm in the cohort that got hooked on the feeling watching Bob Ross in the 80s and 90s.

I will occasionally have chills or goosebumps in response to great music or to a particularly emotional scene in a movie. For me, this is an entirely unrelated phenomenon, and the sensation is distinct. My ASMR triggers really don't involve an emotional component. In fact, I would say that I am in more of an analytical and intensely focused frame of mind when I experience ASMR tingles. I think a pretty common aspect of most ASMR performances is a pleasant, but flat affect. Gut-wrenching does not make for good ASMR.

My favorite video trigger is watching a skillful origami artist fold a complicated model. Hands only, no talking. There is an element of closeness or intimacy as it appears as though I'm watching from very near the artist. There is the element of precise and purposeful movements. There is also a quality to my favorite triggers that doesn't get mentioned often (but it does come up occasionally), and that is an element of anticipation and surprise; that it's not entirely clear what the actor is going to do next, but it's clear that they know exactly what they are doing.

That last element relates to another common trigger for me. I will often have an ASMR sensation when I am listening to a great storyteller. It was also pretty common to have the sensation in college lectures presented by very engaging professors. Another good IRL trigger for me is learning a new lab technique or surgical procedure from an experienced researcher.

I do believe that the grooming behavior theory is a good one (i do get some tingles when someone, for instance, runs their fingers through my hair.), but I don't think it describes most of the situations that give me tingles. Most of my triggers involve some closeness or personal contact, intense focus, and learning or acquisition of an (arcane) skill, or a nugget of unusual or unexpected information.

From browsing through ASMR  videos on you tube, I think my experience of ASMR is not unique, but triggers are definitely not universal. For some people it seems to be almost entirely aural, for some it's more physically sensual (but not often sexual), for many, including myself, triggers are much stronger when there is an intellectual component as well. That suggests to me that in addition to the grooming-partner bonding instinct it might also have something to do with an instinct for mentor/student bonding.

personate-rain