Author Topic: What's the proper etiquette here?  (Read 1502 times)

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
What's the proper etiquette here?
« on: March 26, 2017, 04:35:35 PM »
I've been a member of planet fitness for a bout 6 months now.  I've seen 4 different people now incorrectly use the pull/dip assist machine in a way that I think could potentially cause personal injury and damage to the machine.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/main/popup/name/machine-assisted-pull-up    this is the machine I am talking about.  These people have been using it to do a quasi leg extension. They put one foot on the foot rest and another on the kneepad, and push the kneepad down with their foot.  This is basically not exercise, since they are more or less just transferring bodyweight to the leg on the knee pad and allowing it to sink.  Since this is not the exercise you are intended to use this machine for, the people doing this don't really have a safe place to put their hands to keep their balance, and they tend to slam the weights at the end.

I confronted one person about this and she was pretty angry with me and said that what she was doing was a totally normal way to use the machine.  I kinda let it go because 6'3 people trying to argue with women at a gym is just not a good look. The entire culture of planet fitness is basically mind your own business, but I feel like since we all share the equipment, it's at least a little bit my business?

So what do I do here?  Ignore?  Talk to management (who will probably do nothing)?  Try to educate anyone I see doing this wrong?

Online SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
Re: What's the proper etiquette here?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 04:36:42 PM »
I would mention something to the staff in the tone of "someone might get hurt"
HIISSSSSSSS

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 04:40:17 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't talk to people directly.  I'd talk to the staff about it.  If they aren't concerned about it, then I'd mind my own business.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 11:13:32 PM »
Pfft, next you'll tell me the curl rack is for squats!
HIISSSSSSSS

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 11:32:21 PM »
It sounds, though, like it's something that people are actually learning and being taught to do.  You might not think it's wise or safe—and if you were their trainer it'd be your place to correct them.  But since you're not, it's probably best to just mind your own business.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 02:11:09 PM »
I'm in the "talk to people directly" camp, I wish more people in general felt able to politely talk to strangers about such things.

Even if the possibility of being improperly labeled a 'mansplainer' (if the person is female) bothers you, I still think it's worth confronting the person due to the potential for injury.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 07:17:02 PM by Drunken Idaho »
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 06:30:07 PM »
jeez, googled this, it's an epidemic.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pull+up+assist+is+not+a+leg+press&rlz=1CAACAZ_enUS730US730&oq=pull+up+assist+is+not+a+leg+press&aqs=chrome..69i57.8303j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
lol I see this at LA Fitness all the time, but most people there are morons anyway. Just today I saw poop in the shower!
Yay humans! you suck!
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 01:53:08 PM »
maybe they're just practicing their curb stomp.

I don't see why they should be required to use either of the leg press machines.
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 02:37:15 PM »
Honestly, how badly are they going to hurt themselves? And if they do then its between them and Planet Fitness.
If they damage the equipment then again, thats between them and the gym.
Well intentioned though it may be, there is honestly very little as irritating in the gym as someone butting into a workout to tell you that you are doing it wrong and if they heard it from a trainer or 'the internet' then your advice will go in one ear and out the other.

I say mention it to the management if it bothers you but otherwise I'd just let people get on with it.

People in gyms doing stupid shit are going to hurt themselves but people who smoke are probably going to kill themselves. I just kind of assume they made a grown up choice and either chose to go in ignorant or ignore the risks and either way its on them.

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 03:09:43 PM »
There are no PTs at Planet Fitness, right?

I work at a Club that has PTs, and they would use ta situation like that as an opportunity to show their knowledge, and find an opportunity for a sales conversation.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 03:12:08 PM »
Since I discovered this was an internet fad I realized how powerless I am to stop it and in the future I am just going to let it go.

BUT this does impact me negatively.   If they get hurt, that could potentially raise the rate they charge people to cover the liability, if they break the machine, it's one less machine for me to use, if they are simply on the machine, I can't use it until they are finished, and also, they are putting their shoes on a part of the machine that is for peoples knees, which is gross.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 03:44:48 PM »
I wouldnt worry about the rates increasing. It would need to be an epidemic of injuries across multiple venues for it to make a difference I think, because gyms build a certain expectation of injury into their costs. And if they are using the machine incorrectly when it has clear instructions on it, then they arent likely to get very far with any case.

In the case of the machine breaking. Yeah, that would suck. I cant imagine you will be without it for long though as gym chains tend to replace stuff pretty quick and wear and tear often is built in also.

I do really sympathise though with the sheer annoyance of seeing people do stupid shit in the gym. I wear earbuds as it is, if I could wear horse style blinkers too then I would.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 04:58:46 PM »
I pointed it out to my gym partner today and told him about this discussion, and he was like "I'll be pissed if those idiots rip the padded bench."

True that.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 10:54:14 PM »
Honestly, how badly are they going to hurt themselves? And if they do then its between them and Planet Fitness.
If they damage the equipment then again, thats between them and the gym.
Well intentioned though it may be, there is honestly very little as irritating in the gym as someone butting into a workout to tell you that you are doing it wrong and if they heard it from a trainer or 'the internet' then your advice will go in one ear and out the other.

I say mention it to the management if it bothers you but otherwise I'd just let people get on with it.

I think this is a good illustration of the equally valid viewpoint opposite my own. I think people are far too easily irritated by others, and value considerate interaction between strangers over avoiding the interaction with the intention of avoiding possible irritation or offense.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

personate-rain