Author Topic: What's the proper etiquette here?  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
Re: What's the proper etiquette here?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 01:12:55 AM »
Honestly, how badly are they going to hurt themselves? And if they do then its between them and Planet Fitness.
If they damage the equipment then again, thats between them and the gym.
Well intentioned though it may be, there is honestly very little as irritating in the gym as someone butting into a workout to tell you that you are doing it wrong and if they heard it from a trainer or 'the internet' then your advice will go in one ear and out the other.

I say mention it to the management if it bothers you but otherwise I'd just let people get on with it.

People in gyms doing stupid shit are going to hurt themselves but people who smoke are probably going to kill themselves. I just kind of assume they made a grown up choice and either chose to go in ignorant or ignore the risks and either way its on them.
Yeah, I agree (and meant to post this a couple days ago)... don't try to help the gym-goer and that goes double if they're a woman, because the experience of so many women at gyms is getting mansplained on how to lift weights by (sometimes) well-meaning men. If they're doing something that wrecks the station or could hurt them, get a trainer, absolutely, but I don't think it's *your* place to tell the person how to lift.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 01:27:11 AM »
Eh, I think there's a big difference between giving a person "tips" because you're trying to hit on them, vs. telling somebody they're doing something that could hurt themselves, damage equipment, etc..

I realize that this line is both gray and blurry, but I don't think the existence of a handful of assholes out there means we should avoid interacting with strangers for fear of annoying or offending them.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 01:34:28 AM »
Eh, I think there's a big difference between giving a person "tips" because you're trying to hit on them, vs. telling somebody they're doing something that could hurt themselves, damage equipment, etc..

I realize that this line is both gray and blurry, but I don't think the existence of a handful of assholes out there means we should avoid interacting with strangers for fear of annoying or offending them.
OK, if there isn't a staff member around, sure, go up to them, but even then I'd be aware of the nature of a lot of these kinds of interactions. If there *is* one, just talk to them instead of the weightlifter. Frankly I'd feel the same way if it was a man doing the exercise incorrectly (and in turn I'd appreciate it a lot more if a trainer came up to me and said "hey, I think you're using this station incorrectly and you might hurt yourself; let me show you how to do what you want to do the right way" instead of some rando across from me lifting weights).
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 06:21:15 AM »
Not wanting to mansplain is a big reason to avoid confrontation here, but there isn't a good solution. You can't right an I gerber dad, you just have to let it run its course.

And for reference they have two of these machines for literally the same exercise

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/pdk0deKsRLo/hqdefault.jpg

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2017, 11:28:15 AM »
Honestly, how badly are they going to hurt themselves? And if they do then its between them and Planet Fitness.
Well intentioned though it may be, there is honestly very little as irritating in the gym as someone butting into a workout to tell you that you are doing it wrong and if they heard it from a trainer or 'the internet' then your advice will go in one ear and out the other.

I say mention it to the management if it bothers you but otherwise I'd just let people get on with it.

People in gyms doing stupid shit are going to hurt themselves but people who smoke are probably going to kill themselves. I just kind of assume they made a grown up choice and either chose to go in ignorant or ignore the risks and either way its on them.
Yeah, I agree (and meant to post this a couple days ago)... don't try to help the gym-goer and that goes double if they're a woman, because the experience of so many women at gyms is getting mansplained on how to lift weights by (sometimes) well-meaning men. If they're doing something that wrecks the station or could hurt them, get a trainer, absolutely, but I don't think it's *your* place to tell the person how to lift.
So, should I approach the shower pooper about the pooping or not?  :laugh:
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Online Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2017, 11:57:41 AM »
Assuming it's not a mystery pooper situation, then absolutely approach the shower pooper. I think you have the right to approach said pooper with a mob of pitchfork people.
💩

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2017, 12:38:45 PM »

Approach? Nah. Maybe yell from the other side of the locker room "STOP SHITTING IN THE FUCKING SHOWER I MEAN JESUS CHRIST".

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2017, 01:11:04 PM »
Assuming it's not a mystery pooper situation, then absolutely approach the shower pooper. I think you have the right to approach said pooper with a mob of pitchfork people.
💩
Trust me, if I knew who it was they would be shamed in front of the entire gym.

There are some extremely old men, and partially disabled old men, and I hope to jesus it was one of them having an accident, but I also know how incredibly sketchy some of these other guys are and would not for a second disbelieve it's some gross asshole. I would personally pass out the pitchforks.  >:D

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2017, 05:52:03 PM »
OOohh. You were serious about the shower pooper?

Eeeeww.

A friend of mine had someone in his office building they would refer to as the "mad bomber", because he would lay paper on the seat, etc, and then make a dump and not flush, so the whole area looked a mess. I don't think they ever figured out who the culprit was.

Shower pooper is much worse.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 08:49:18 PM »

Approach? Nah. Maybe yell from the other side of the locker room "STOP SHITTING IN THE FUCKING SHOWER I MEAN JESUS CHRIST".

respect cultural diversity.
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
  • Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 02:16:23 PM »
I'm firmly in the, never ever ever ever ever bother someone at the gym, especially if you are a man and they are a woman, camp. I've had men talk to me at the gym more times than I can count, and not once has it been an actually helpful comment. I've even gotten hurt from being "helpfully" spotted when I didn't want or need it.
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2017, 02:48:14 PM »
I'm firmly in the, never ever ever ever ever bother someone at the gym, especially if you are a man and they are a woman, camp. I've had men talk to me at the gym more times than I can count, and not once has it been an actually helpful comment. I've even gotten hurt from being "helpfully" spotted when I didn't want or need it.

I think this is a good idea, though i will point out I'd seen men doing this same exercise, and one man actually was "stuck" and needed physical help to avoid getting very hurt.

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
  • Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2017, 04:45:36 PM »

I think this is a good illustration of the equally valid viewpoint opposite my own. I think people are far too easily irritated by others, and value considerate interaction between strangers over avoiding the interaction with the intention of avoiding possible irritation or offense.

How do you define "too easily" irritated? What is the appropriate amount of irritation at people, in your opinion?
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2017, 05:35:46 PM »

I think this is a good illustration of the equally valid viewpoint opposite my own. I think people are far too easily irritated by others, and value considerate interaction between strangers over avoiding the interaction with the intention of avoiding possible irritation or offense.

How do you define "too easily" irritated? What is the appropriate amount of irritation at people, in your opinion?
More than Snoop Dogg stoned, but less than Alex Jones.  :laugh:

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2017, 07:36:48 PM »

yeh. s'why I don't miss the gym at all.
I've met so many awesome fitness people from other training I do. way better than gym culture/gym vibe. and fuck I'm not even that sociable lol.
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

personate-rain