Author Topic: What's the proper etiquette here?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
Re: What's the proper etiquette here?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2017, 04:47:13 AM »
Honestly, how badly are they going to hurt themselves? And if they do then its between them and Planet Fitness.
If they damage the equipment then again, thats between them and the gym.
Well intentioned though it may be, there is honestly very little as irritating in the gym as someone butting into a workout to tell you that you are doing it wrong and if they heard it from a trainer or 'the internet' then your advice will go in one ear and out the other.

I say mention it to the management if it bothers you but otherwise I'd just let people get on with it.

I think this is a good illustration of the equally valid viewpoint opposite my own. I think people are far too easily irritated by others, and value considerate interaction between strangers over avoiding the interaction with the intention of avoiding possible irritation or offense.

How do you define "too easily" irritated? What is the appropriate amount of irritation at people, in your opinion?

By "too easily" I mean that I think people (in my general, anecdotal experience) choose to be offended and irritated more often than (in my personal opinion) is beneficial to either themselves or society at large.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Online 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
  • Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2017, 09:07:50 AM »
(click to show/hide)

How do you define "too easily" irritated? What is the appropriate amount of irritation at people, in your opinion?

By "too easily" I mean that I think people (in my general, anecdotal experience) choose to be offended and irritated more often than (in my personal opinion) is beneficial to either themselves or society at large.

Emotions aren't a choice. I also (personally in my specific experience) am entitled to be frustrated at comments at the gym that aren't correct, that seem to benevolently undermine what I'm doing and/or disrupt my sets and/or that make me feel invaded or cornered. I don't choose to feel that way, but I don't think that I benefit from somehow pretending not to be bothered when someone suggests me doing something that may actually hurt myself in a patronizing tone of voice.   
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2017, 10:21:10 AM »
they're reactions. but it's your choice whether or not to indulge your emotions or tackle them.
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Online 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
  • Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2017, 10:41:55 AM »
they're reactions. but it's your choice whether or not to indulge your emotions or tackle them.

Tackle them as in, suppress them? No (well-credentialed, non-quackish) psychologist in the world is gonna agree with that. Being annoyed at men bugging me at the gym is a completely justified reaction. It's not on me to absorb the bad behavior of others.
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2017, 01:03:52 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Emotions aren't a choice. I also (personally in my specific experience) am entitled to be frustrated at comments at the gym that aren't correct, that seem to benevolently undermine what I'm doing and/or disrupt my sets and/or that make me feel invaded or cornered. I don't choose to feel that way, but I don't think that I benefit from somehow pretending not to be bothered when someone suggests me doing something that may actually hurt myself in a patronizing tone of voice.   

You're right, I apologize for my poor wording.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2017, 02:04:03 PM »
I always lower the leg part and just do a pull up. What is the function of the leg part/weight part?
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2017, 02:06:17 PM »
I always lower the leg part and just do a pull up. What is the function of the leg part/weight part?
To reduce  your own body weight on a pull up. It's an assist to build you up to your own body weight basically.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2017, 03:18:54 AM »

Tackle them as in, suppress them? No (well-credentialed, non-quackish) psychologist in the world is gonna agree with that.

:facepalm:
no, not remotely.
as in apply reason to them.
cognitive behavioral therapy is not assisted repression. nor is being a grown up.

but if being a child and playing the victim makes you happier, go for it.
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2017, 04:47:25 AM »
So says the guy who, on a per post basis, plays the victim card more than anyone else on these forums...
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2017, 05:12:35 AM »
So says the guy who, on a per post basis, plays the victim card more than anyone else on these forums...

Generalized personal attacks are pretty lame, man.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2017, 07:50:27 AM »

I can't refute vacuous nonsense, sorry.

have you stopped beating your wife after every post yet?

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2017, 11:23:49 AM »
Sigh. Guys.  C'mon.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2017, 11:30:09 AM »
so um, in conclusion.

I'm just going to make sure to wipe down the mat before I put my knees there.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2017, 11:33:07 AM »
so um, in conclusion.

I'm just going to make sure to wipe down the mat before I put my knees there.
That sounds like good, general life advice!  :)
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Online 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
  • Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2017, 02:59:26 PM »
(click to show/hide)

You're right, I apologize for my poor wording.

Muchly appreciated, friend :)

personate-rain