Author Topic: Vocal Fry  (Read 1834 times)

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Vocal Fry
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 01:58:50 PM »
Whatever, it's not woman shaming.  Vocal fry is just an annoying affect people put on how they speak, similar to HRT or inserting parasite words like "like" or speaking in near whisper and so on.  Everyone has a different voice and whatever voice you have it comes through when the air passes over your vocal chordes to produce sound, whatever that sound is, even you're Fran Drescher, it's way better than this bullshit.

It's an affect, it's annoying when people do it regardless of gender.

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 02:03:06 PM »
similar to HRT

Hormone replacement therapy...?!
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 02:10:01 PM »
Whatever, it's not woman shaming.  Vocal fry is just an annoying affect people put on how they speak, similar to HRT or inserting parasite words like "like" or speaking in near whisper and so on.  Everyone has a different voice and whatever voice you have it comes through when the air passes over your vocal chordes to produce sound, whatever that sound is, even you're Fran Drescher, it's way better than this bullshit.

It's an affect, it's annoying when people do it regardless of gender.
Well, yes, men do it too but women do it *more* and a lot of the time when men do it, they're getting really, really low so it just sounds silly.

Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 02:18:23 PM »
The last year or so I've made a conscious deliberate decision to listen to more women in podcasts, so maybe I've just stopped noticing this fry thing? 

Even if it is an honest thing, it feels like coded language for not wanting to listen to women talk.

ETA: or, at best, not being accustomed to listening to women talk.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 03:06:18 PM by amysrevenge »
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline NEKSkeptic

• Off to a Start
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2017, 03:25:11 PM »
Even if it is an honest thing, it feels like coded language for not wanting to listen to women talk.

ETA: or, at best, not being accustomed to listening to women talk.
That is rather harsh.  People over the age of 35 or so just aren't accustomed to hearing this style of speech.  In my initial post, I mentioned that it can be "distracting."  This is simply because it is a style of speech that I am not accustomed to hearing.  It's not because I don't want to listen to women talk and it's not because I am unaccustomed to listening to women talk, that's for sure. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 03:27:24 PM by NEKSkeptic »

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2017, 03:28:04 PM »
I notice it, it definitely seems to have become more prevalent, and I do find it annoying whether the speaker is male or female.  I didn't even know it had a name until recently (I somehow missed the kerfuffle over it back in, 2015) but I had noticed it.  I'm not going to tell anyone to change their voice on my account, but I'm also not going to apologize or think myself sexist or a judgmental asshole for finding certain voices unpleasant.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2017, 03:29:13 PM »
It's not uncommon in pop music.  Britney Spears is the first offender that comes to mind.  Not that I generally spend a lot of time thinking about Britney Spears.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2017, 03:47:28 PM »
I notice it, it definitely seems to have become more prevalent, and I do find it annoying whether the speaker is male or female.  I didn't even know it had a name until recently (I somehow missed the kerfuffle over it back in, 2015) but I had noticed it.  I'm not going to tell anyone to change their voice on my account, but I'm also not going to apologize or think myself sexist or a judgmental asshole for finding certain voices unpleasant.
Yeah, I can't speak for amysrevenge or others but I think it's 2nd degree sexism in the sense that it is. That doesn't mean that you're being overtly, like, rubbing your hands together sexist, it's just... there is a thing that people do that you're finding a bit off-putting in part because it's relatively new (at least in the media) and when you look at it a bit more in depth you find that women do it a lot more than men do. It doesn't make you a bad person for disliking the voice or anything anymore than it makes you an automatic good person if you don't care.

I come from the standpoint that I had to hang around jackasses who literally had nothing good going for them except a perfect voice, I find that I prefer the diversity we have now, and if one cost of that diversity is that *at the moment* we have a bit more of this vocal fry thing, then, well... meh, it's barely even a price IMO. There are tics that people do that I find waaaaaaaaaay more annoying than vocal fry (the ending every sentence on an uptick as though you're constantly asking a question is one, although there too I appreciate that it's a thing that a lot of women seem to be subconsciously ingrained into doing in some situations) (another is filling your pauses with things other than "um" and "ah"... for a while there was this 'fad' where people would say "and whatnot" instead and it kind of drove me bonkers).
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2017, 03:56:35 PM »
Yeah, I can't speak for amysrevenge or others but I think it's 2nd degree sexism in the sense that it is. That doesn't mean that you're being overtly, like, rubbing your hands together sexist, it's just... there is a thing that people do that you're finding a bit off-putting in part because it's relatively new (at least in the media) and when you look at it a bit more in depth you find that women do it a lot more than men do. It doesn't make you a bad person for disliking the voice or anything anymore than it makes you an automatic good person if you don't care.

I come from the standpoint that I had to hang around jackasses who literally had nothing good going for them except a perfect voice, I find that I prefer the diversity we have now, and if one cost of that diversity is that *at the moment* we have a bit more of this vocal fry thing, then, well... meh, it's barely even a price IMO. There are tics that people do that I find waaaaaaaaaay more annoying than vocal fry (the ending every sentence on an uptick as though you're constantly asking a question is one, although there too I appreciate that it's a thing that a lot of women seem to be subconsciously ingrained into doing in some situations) (another is filling your pauses with things other than "um" and "ah"... for a while there was this 'fad' where people would say "and whatnot" instead and it kind of drove me bonkers).

You're speaking for me.  I also this morning watched on youtube an interview with a college hockey player from North Dakota who included 45 "y'know"s in under 3 minutes (there was a ticker added to the bottom of the video).
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 04:10:43 PM »
Maybe it's because I enjoy the company of women that I notice nothing unpleasant in any of the voices mentioned. One of the on-air hosts of Planet Money (Zoe Chace, maybe?) got some criticism for the sound of her voice, but I quite like it.

Or maybe it's all part of my defective brain and poor audio processing.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2017, 04:15:20 PM »
... I also this morning watched on youtube an interview with a college hockey player from North Dakota who included 45 "y'know"s in under 3 minutes (there was a ticker added to the bottom of the video).

I had a math teacher in high school, who was a genius, but whose lectures were so filled with "uh" that one day I started ticking them off. He realized what I was doing and was not happy at all. (But he never forgave me after one time I proved him wrong on one math problem.) I think he said "uh" 5 or 10 times a minute while lecturing. Although he was a genius, he was not a particularly good teacher.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2017, 04:30:52 PM »
One of the on-air hosts of Planet Money (Zoe Chace, maybe?) got some criticism for the sound of her voice, but I quite like it.

Ahmahgahd, Zoe Chace makes me want to gouge my ears out while smashing my radio.  I'm sure she's a lovely woman, but holy hell.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2017, 04:54:04 PM »
... I also this morning watched on youtube an interview with a college hockey player from North Dakota who included 45 "y'know"s in under 3 minutes (there was a ticker added to the bottom of the video).

I had a math teacher in high school, who was a genius, but whose lectures were so filled with "uh" that one day I started ticking them off. He realized what I was doing and was not happy at all. (But he never forgave me after one time I proved him wrong on one math problem.) I think he said "uh" 5 or 10 times a minute while lecturing. Although he was a genius, he was not a particularly good teacher.
Sorry, I know that I am totally the one who brought up filled pauses but stopping yourself from doing this crap is *hard*, especially if you're speaking extemporaneously. The 3 people who have listened to the little podcast I did in 2011 will notice a dearth of them but that's only because when I went back and edited them (BECAUSE YES HENNING THAT IS A THING THAT YOU DO TO PODCASTS) I removed them all. I would not expect your average HS teacher, math, liberal arts, or otherwise, to be able to talk to class without them. OTOH I had a whole host of things I was a little asshat about in HS (come to think of it, I am like 99% positive I can out asshat anyone here regarding high school stuff), so...

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2017, 05:01:29 PM »

I had a room mate years ago who used fuck for that purpose.  The other roommate timed him, in 2 minutes he said some version of fuck 30 times.

It is difficult not to use filler words.  Professional speakers work pretty hard to loose that habit. 

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2017, 05:59:28 PM »
similar to HRT

Hormone replacement therapy...?!

high rising terminal and YOU KNEW THAT YOU'RE JUST TROLLING ME WHYYYYY

personate-rain