Author Topic: Episode #612  (Read 2396 times)

Offline albator

• Off to a Start
Re: Episode #612
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2017, 12:45:18 PM »
In that case, I'm pretty sure it's wrong. In most ALU, you have a comparaison and modulo function.

Offline AtheistApotheosis

• Doesn't Panic
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2017, 01:35:23 PM »
I repeat that "They laughed at Fulton" is not a valid argument for anything. They also laughed at the guy who jumped off a building because he thought he could fly. They were wrong about Fulton. They were right about the jumper.

Your argument (A.A.) seems to be that anything anybody can imagine is "possible." I call b.s. Plenty of things are not possible. Whether or not self-aware A.I. will be developed within any given time span, or ever, needs to be addressed with valid arguments, not with logical fallacies.

Nobody here is disputing that it might be possible, so your insistence that it's possible because we have airplanes and nuclear energy is irrelevant and does not advance the discussion.

I know of several people who did it from a number of buildings here in aus, hang gliding or wing suits. They get arrested sometimes though. One even strapped carbon fibre wings with small jet turbines attached and jumped out of an aeroplane thinking he could fly, he was right. Everything we can imagine is impossible until we figure out how to do it, if we don't figure out how to do it then it remains impossible. It's when we think we know how to do something or how something works when we really don't that problems emerge. That's when we cross into pseudo-science and pseudo-science can become an obsession.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2017, 02:51:28 PM »
I repeat that "They laughed at Fulton" is not a valid argument for anything. They also laughed at the guy who jumped off a building because he thought he could fly. They were wrong about Fulton. They were right about the jumper.

Your argument (A.A.) seems to be that anything anybody can imagine is "possible." I call b.s. Plenty of things are not possible. Whether or not self-aware A.I. will be developed within any given time span, or ever, needs to be addressed with valid arguments, not with logical fallacies.

Nobody here is disputing that it might be possible, so your insistence that it's possible because we have airplanes and nuclear energy is irrelevant and does not advance the discussion.

I know of several people who did it from a number of buildings here in aus, hang gliding or wing suits. They get arrested sometimes though. One even strapped carbon fibre wings with small jet turbines attached and jumped out of an aeroplane thinking he could fly, he was right. Everything we can imagine is impossible until we figure out how to do it, if we don't figure out how to do it then it remains impossible. It's when we think we know how to do something or how something works when we really don't that problems emerge. That's when we cross into pseudo-science and pseudo-science can become an obsession.

So you still assert that anything you can imagine is possible? I call that the Star Trek fallacy. "Some day we'll have transporter beams and FTL travel and we'll meet English-speaking humanoid aliens on the other side of the galaxy, because maybe some day they'll invent technology that overturns everything we know about physics. After all, they laughed at Fulton."
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Celina

• Brand New
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2017, 04:49:11 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the bird lung diagrams. I too could not believe I had never known how birds lungs worked when I discovered it at age 48 while homeschooling my daughter for one year. I told everyone I met how they breath.

Also, as for dinosaurs eating coniferous trees, it's not hard to imagine they did. We have wallabies, and I can't feed them Doug Fir fast enough. Goats and sheep will also happily eat the needles, and the bark. The new Doug Fir growth is packed with vitamin C, and is great in smoothies, or to eat straight. It is also a wonderful breath freshener (for Wallabies, sheep and humans alike!)

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2017, 08:10:49 PM »
Recipe for Douglas fir smoothie, please! I've never heard of this.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2017, 08:18:50 AM »
"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •
"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2017, 10:58:24 AM »
They also laughed at Bozo the Clown...

Not me man.

That clown scared the shit out of me.

Literally.

(luckily I was 2 and wearing diapers)

personate-rain