Author Topic: Why haven't I heard Bob go nuts over CRISPR?  (Read 382 times)

Offline DanDanDan

• Triskaidekaphilic
Why haven't I heard Bob go nuts over CRISPR?
« on: April 02, 2017, 02:17:37 PM »
Abstract Question:

Why haven't I heard Bob go buck-nuts crazy over CRISPR?

Dissertation:

I depend on Bob to be the Voice of Enthusiasm. But I haven't heard him wax crazy about CRISPR. To illustrate my question, I've written this skit script. I vicariously play the part of Bob.

Warning! This is NSFW, possibly offensive, and yet, hysterical satire.

Bob
Hey Steve!

Steve
Hey Bob.

Bob
Do you wanna dedicate yourself professionally to logic!?

Steve
Oh yeah.

Drop the ideological idea of making the word "skeptic" a socially acceptable term and start calling yourself a "logician", as Gene Roddenberry intended, because it simply makes sense from a PR perspective! Then set about establishing and promoting the logician brand by helping Daniel SR Chavez with his upcoming Return to Cybertron Project! With the help of SGU Productions, it could be worth a butt ton of money to Hollywood types!

Steve
Maybe.

Bob.
Also, doya want a pet Dodo!?

Steve
Sure, whatever.

Bob
Sweet! I have here some Crispy Dust (CD). I'm going to sprinkle this CD on this turkey egg, aaaaaand... BAM! Dodo egg!

Steve
That's nice. Whatever, I'm not excited.

Bob
Hey Jay!

Jay
I love you, bro!

Bob
Want to be as brilliant and productive as Cristopher Hitchens!?

Jay
Hell yes!

Bob
Swear off quotes, cliches, and quotes and cliches that you've already created!

Jay
It can't be that simple!

Bob
Can so!

(Hugs)

Bob
Now stop jerking off and listen up!

Jay
OK!

Bob
Want a boner so big that Courtney will salute you?

Jay
How did you know!? I profoundly do! Boo hoo hoo!

Bob
Fear not empathic brother! I've got here, what I call, Crispy Cream! The DNA Cream that fixes up your DNA cream! Pop potato with this and your wife will cry herself to sleep in happiness!

Jay
I looooooove you so much Bob!

Bob
Hey Evan!

Evan
Hay is for horses!

Bob
Want to be the greatest pun-artist ever!?

Evan
Does the Pope condone rituals that should have died out with The Enlightenment?

Bob
Then sign up for improv classes! BTW, do you want to be the best at Science or Fiction!?

Evan
Does James Randi properly value a PhD?

Bob
Um, not from what I hear, but uh... have I got a "BAM!" for you! Study specifically for the IQ test and have Steve write a logic workbook for you!

(Suggestion: Steve, create and sell your own SIMPLE and SHORT logic text book or guide with workbooks, online exams, etc. I'd pay for all that.)

You're already smarter than 95% of people, but as I always say, "there is nothing I know that you cannot know"! Therefore, you can be just as good as me at Science or Fiction!

Evan
(quickly insert brilliant pun here)

Bob
Plus, wanna be as brown as a Julio Caesar Chavez!?

Evan
(brilliant put) + Yes!

Bob
Sprinkle this CD on your skin and BAM! Billions and billions of darker skin cells!

Evan
Wow! I don't have to be ridiculously white anymore!

Bob
Hey Cara!

Cara
Like, OMG, tots what?

Bob
Want to create Jurassic Park, or at least own a pet T-Rex!?

Cara
So do! Wanna know the defintion of the "coelurosaurian"?

Bob
If anybody could make reading a dry dictionary interesting, it would be you! But I want to focus on something that's remotely possible!

(Suggestion: start focusing more on definitions of commonly know words and terms. Use words that most people want to and should understand, as opposed to words that folks are unlikely to remember at all. EG, define major depression. Most people don't understand the difference between it and depression, but most people know the words and want to know the difference. Many need to know the difference.)

I've got here a huge egg! Now I'm going to sprinkle some CD on it aaaaaand... BAM! Technically, it's not a T Rex egg. But if it look like a T Rex, walks like a T Rex, and quacks like a T Rex, who gives a shit!

Cara
Get out! I might be smarter and hotter than all of you bitches, but I never dreamed of that!

Bob
Also, you can stick it to Bill by pointing out that his irrational fear of genetic engineering is impeding his mission to bring down the Medical Industrial Complex!
After all, in a world where many or most illnesses have a cure, Big Pharma and their buddies will be forced to go thru MASSIVE downsizing, and the cost of health care will plummet!

Cara
I'm already typing up an email to that beautiful, paranoid, conspiracy-weaving motherfucker!

Bob
Hey Bob!

(I'm now impersonating Bob impersonating "Bobby Bob")

Bobby Bob
Hey Bob!

Bob
Still worried that you won't live forever!?

Bob Bob
Hoooolyyyy shit. I'll be pissed if I miss The Singularity!

Bob
Don't worry Bob! The Singularity is never going to happen because it's general narrative has been co-opted by apocalyptic fear-mongers! In addition, who says that The Singularity has to be kicked off with AI or nanotech!? Perhaps it will start with biotech! And the apocalyptic end of humanity is, according to historical precedence, unlikely! Instead, we're actually approaching the New Enlightenment! In a few years, CD will start CURING genetic illnesses, viral and bacterial and parasitic infections, creating organisms that suck up a billion times as much green house gasses as any extant organism, and give you the ability to restore your telomeres! Also, get your entire brain scanned down to the molecular level so that future neurosurgeons will have a guide to use whenever they need to reassemble your brain!

Bob Bob
So I will probably become medically immortal!?

Bob
BAM!

A good scientist or science communicator emphasizes a disclaimer about the dangers of predicting the future. Granted, "Bob", in this context, sounds like a crank. I should know, since bipolar disorder tried to turn me into a crank. Someday, I'll tell you folks about the time that I popped a lung and literally had a asthmatic manic episode on steroids. 

But I expect that if you interview a biologist doing research with CRISPR, it won't take much prodding to figure out that they feel like a kid that just won a shopping spree at Toys R Us. Luckily, the vast majority scientists are scientifically level headed, so I doubt they'll create Alien. Although, using CRISPR, they could create a creature that makes Alien look like a grumpy Muppet.

And even if CD doesn't become such a thing, genetic engineering (GE), will. Much like relativity, it will be figured out by somebody.

Also, science deniers, fear-mongers, and the paranoid, will lose their shit like a slap-happy grandpappy.    If you thought people got stupid over the whole stem cell thing, you're probably going to have to redifine the word. But history predicts that they will calm down, and it'll all work out.

Here, in futurism, there be dragons (thanks to GE, eventually, literally). We're entering an ethical minefield, again. Still, history dictates that such crises will rise up, fall away, and yield to intellectual evolution. I trust that our generalist species will survive and, again, redefine Heaven on Earth.
 found Bigfoot in my drawers.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
Re: Why haven't I heard Bob go nuts over CRISPR?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 04:10:24 PM »
TL;DR - WTF?
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 04:24:25 PM »
Bob's primary interests are not in biology.  He's especially interested in physics, astronomy, and nanotechnology.  It's much more within Steve's and Cara's wheelhouses, and both of them have expressed enthusiasm.  I think Steve said it was the closest thing to a revolution in biology in his lifetime.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline DanDanDan

• Triskaidekaphilic
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 11:21:35 PM »
Excellent point! Unfortunately, the discussion surrounding AI on the last episode still tells me that the panel, Bob and Jay included, haven't wrapped their minds around this issue well enough. Or at least, they need to revisit the subject and flesh out some of the consequences that I referred to. Now I'm wondering, who should be put in charge of the segment? I say Cara. Cuz she's super smart about biology and stuff. She's kewl. (Not being sarcastic on that last point.)

Offline DanDanDan

• Triskaidekaphilic
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 11:24:13 PM »
TL;DR - WTF?

It was a little long, true. Welcome to script writing. I went with the fleshed out version, as opposed to the compact version.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 10:06:10 AM »
Excellent point! Unfortunately, the discussion surrounding AI on the last episode still tells me that the panel, Bob and Jay included, haven't wrapped their minds around this issue well enough. Or at least, they need to revisit the subject and flesh out some of the consequences that I referred to. Now I'm wondering, who should be put in charge of the segment? I say Cara. Cuz she's super smart about biology and stuff. She's kewl. (Not being sarcastic on that last point.)

I was under the impression that you were talking about CRISPR, not AI.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 10:17:55 AM »
I thought CRISPR would be a hookup app for toasts

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 01:40:04 PM »
TL;DR - WTF?

It was a little long, true. Welcome to script writing. I went with the fleshed out version, as opposed to the compact version.
lol
considering that's my MFA and career I would say the most effective one is the most compact version, but hey, some people actually like Jim Jarmusch films too, so who am I to say?  :laugh:

I remember there being a lot of enthusiasm about CRISPR, I just didn't remember which rogue was the most into it.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline DanDanDan

• Triskaidekaphilic
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 05:10:12 PM »
TL;DR - WTF?

lol
considering that's my MFA and career I would say the most effective one is the most compact version, but hey, some people actually like Jim Jarmusch films too, so who am I to say? 

I remember there being a lot of enthusiasm about CRISPR, I just didn't remember which rogue was the most into it.
You have an MFA!? Oh I so want to pick your brain!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Offline DanDanDan

• Triskaidekaphilic
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 05:12:12 PM »

I was under the impression that you were talking about CRISPR, not AI.
I was, but I guess taht response maDr it sound like I was talking about AI now. My bad!

Offline DanDanDan

• Triskaidekaphilic
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 05:12:46 PM »
I thought CRISPR would be a hookup app for toasts
Hah nice!

Offline DanDanDan

• Triskaidekaphilic
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 12:06:01 PM »
TL;DR - WTF?

lol
considering that's my MFA and career I would say the most effective one is the most compact version, but hey, some people actually like Jim Jarmusch films too, so who am I to say? 

Do you have any recommendations for books about writing scripts and interpretive dance?

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 12:28:12 PM »
TL;DR - WTF?

lol

Do you have any recommendations for books about writing scripts and interpretive dance?

I only have a BA in writing and my focus was in narrative fiction rather than scripts/plays, but I have a couple of general writing on writing books that could get you started...

"Writing Down the Bones" by Natalie Goldberg (about using free-writing to come up with ideas and the like)
"Character and Viewpoint" by Orson Scott Card (the man is a turd but this book is awesome, and covers stuff you'll definitely want to think about when writing a screenplay as well)
"Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott (another general book on writing that's very well written in its own right)
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline DanDanDan

• Triskaidekaphilic
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 12:45:03 PM »
TL;DR - WTF?

lol

I only have a BA in writing and my focus was in narrative fiction rather than scripts/plays, but I have a couple of general writing on writing books that could get you started...

"Writing Down the Bones" by Natalie Goldberg (about using free-writing to come up with ideas and the like)
"Character and Viewpoint" by Orson Scott Card (the man is a turd but this book is awesome, and covers stuff you'll definitely want to think about when writing a screenplay as well)
"Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott (another general book on writing that's very well written in its own right)
Sweet! The Return to Cybertron Project that I mentioned earlier is basically a student project, although I'm not a student again yet. Its going to be a musical (gasp!) that combines hard rock and pop  with stomp and other percussive dances. Thus the need for an education in dance.

personate-rain
personate-rain