Author Topic: THEATAH!  (Read 242 times)

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
THEATAH!
« on: April 03, 2017, 12:50:21 PM »
I don't know why we don't have a thread for this, but we probably do go to the theatre once in a while, do we not?  I went to see

The Glass Menagerie 7/10

This was being perfomed on the Pollock stage of the Sacramento Theatre Company.  The stage is the most intimate setting I've ever been to for a public performance and that benefited the play in some ways, but maybe hindered it in others.  The performances were very uneven with the actor playing the mother being absolutely brilliant and captivating, while Tom was over-the-top, overwrought and theatrical, which was amplified by this setup.

The distracting performance also made it difficult to appreciate the writing (with Tom given the best of it) and the overall quality of the play.  It felt small because of how big he played it and I had some difficulty in being able to relate to his angst or Laura's crippling shyness.  Mother's dialogue, however, felt genuine and the character instantly recognizable.  Ironically hers is the least genuine character in the play, but the layered performance was delivered masterfully by the actor who played her.

The overall experience, however, was very positive for us.  It's been a long time since I've been to a play and I wasn't bored at any point, just somewhat disappointed by some missed opportunities.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Re: THEATAH!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 02:21:37 PM »
My parents are coming for a visit in July and we're all going to see La Boheme.  They love opera and want to share it with us, we love big theatrical productions but aren't opera fans... I'm looking forward to it anyway, daughter is not enthused.

Amend and resubmit.

personate-rain