Author Topic: No Cash Accepted.  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
No Cash Accepted.
« on: April 04, 2017, 02:55:20 PM »
The married co-owners of this rapidly evolving restaurant, chef Nelson and manager May, have announced that they will no longer accept cash payments for food — only credit cards, Apple Pay, Google Wallet and Venmo.

Isn't it illegal not to accept legal tender?

Any other places you know have done this?
Amend and resubmit.

Online NEKSkeptic

• Off to a Start
Re: No Cash Accepted.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 03:24:16 PM »
It's not against federal law.  State law may vary.  (I'm looking at you, Massachusetts.)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 03:42:48 PM »
"Excuse me, do you accept cash if I have two picture IDs?"

"Hell no! Why do you have cash anyway? Where's your plastic?"
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 04:14:50 PM »
I can count on one hand, probably, the number of things I've paid with actual cash in the past year. The times, they are a'changin'.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 04:24:55 PM »
Healthcare clinics have stopped accepting cash here, despite it being illegal (in Norway). It's been in the news recently with the consumer protection agency complaining to the health department.

So basically you can still use cash. If they refuse, they're the ones breaking the law, but it's probably going to be problematic.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 04:43:16 PM »
So if I had exact change they'd refuse my money.

I don't think so  ;)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 04:44:44 PM »
Heinlein pointed out that we'll always have cash because we'll always have criminals.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 04:47:57 PM »
The married co-owners of this rapidly evolving restaurant, chef Nelson and manager May, have announced that they will no longer accept cash payments for food — only credit cards, Apple Pay, Google Wallet and Venmo.

Isn't it illegal not to accept legal tender?

Any other places you know have done this?

Technically it's not illegal unless they bill you, and you become indebted to them.   :laugh:
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 04:52:11 PM »
I am still paying with cash occasionally at places I feel might benefit from cash payments (mom & pop stores that probably get hurt by credit card fees more than big stores) and/or places I suspect might have hacked credit card readers (sketchy gas stations).

This is admittedly exceptionally rare and I am overall fully onboard with moving away from cash.

Even most stalls at farmer's markets have plastic readers.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 05:09:21 PM »
My lawn service only takes cash. They won't take a money order.

Online random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 05:39:02 PM »
I use cash as much as possible for day to day purchases, and would not patronize an establishment that didn't accept it.

I'm not sure how the banks brainwashed everyone into thinking that letting them track all our purchases and take a cut out of all commercial transactions is a good thing. My resistance may be futile and minuscule, but it is symbolically worthwile.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 05:54:22 PM »
Not a lawyer here. But: If you eat in a restaurant before paying, then you owe them money. That's a debt. I would think they'd have to accept legal tender. As opposed to a fast-food place where you pay before you get your food and never incur a debt.

On Bimini Island there are two outfits whose business is taking people out to swim with wild dolphins. As of a few years ago, one of them accepted only cash or traveler's checks, because he didn't want a paper record of his receipts. I presume that was in order to cheat on his taxes, but that's only my suspicious mind working. The last time I went there I didn't want to carry that much cash, and it was really hard to find traveler's checks. Seems most of the banks around here just don't sell them any more. He would not take plastic or personal checks or cashier's checks because they leave a record. I wonder if he accepts bitcoin now. Bitcoin didn't exist, or at least it was not a widespread thing last time I was there.

And here in WA where recreational marijuana is legal and sold in regulated stores, they accept only cash because federal laws make it impossible for them to get banking services. (As noted in another thread.)

Of course, the government could stop circulating money, but they are unlikely to do that because the U.S. profits big time from the fact that people in other countries use U.S. money for business and for savings. They have to give something of value to the U.S. to get our money, and if they never spend it here, we get value for nothing. We profit big time from the fact that international oil sales are denominated in dollars because they have to buy the dollars from us.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 06:10:21 PM »
I use cash as much as possible for day to day purchases, and would not patronize an establishment that didn't accept it.

I'm not sure how the banks brainwashed everyone into thinking that letting them track all our purchases and take a cut out of all commercial transactions is a good thing. My resistance may be futile and minuscule, but it is symbolically worthwile.
Points, airline miles, etc...I'm with you man but I'm under pressure.  My wife thinks I'm crazy for using cash at all.  She also thinks wait staff declare their cash tips so there's no point in even using cash as a tip and she was a waitress for years.   

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 06:11:03 PM »
Cash has a cost, especially for large companies. The cash in every cashier's cash drawer is money that cannot be invested in inventory or facilities. Plus add the labor time it takes to balance a cash drawer at the end of a shift, the accountant time to count and deposit, the cost of cash security services like Brinks, etc.

That said, I increasingly use cash, as I feel it better regulates wasteful spending on my part. I also got into the habit of stacking my change into stacks of three quarters, a nickel and two dimes, which, if you don't care about pennies, let's you have exact change for any transaction without dragging extra coin around. It's anal, but hey, I'm a retired accounting systems guy.

Large purchases go on a credit card with gasoline points, as this is less likely to go to waste than air miles.

Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 07:05:55 PM »
My mom-lawyerly understanding was that one can't refuse to accept cash for post-paid goods and services. 
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain