Author Topic: No Cash Accepted.  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: No Cash Accepted.
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2017, 06:48:48 PM »
Fun to speculate, hard to put solid numbers to it. Anyway, I don't know what a post-collapse society would value.

Food, guns, medicine, and gasoline are four.
Alas, Babylon, The Earth Abides, Lucifer's Hammer. Each with a different take on post-apocalyptic worlds.

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2017, 07:08:46 PM »
Fun to speculate, hard to put solid numbers to it. Anyway, I don't know what a post-collapse society would value.

Alas, Babylon, The Earth Abides, Lucifer's Hammer. Each with a different take on post-apocalyptic worlds.

When I watch these movies, I tend to count the many bodies casually off'ed that aren't the main characters. Odds are, that's me and you.

And thanks to the last Star Wars film, we now know that there are real human beings inside the storm trooper costumes. How many of these humans have been blown to bits in all the other episodes?
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2017, 07:21:08 PM »

When I watch these movies, I tend to count the many bodies casually off'ed that aren't the main characters. Odds are, that's me and you.

And thanks to the last Star Wars film, we now know that there are real human beings inside the storm trooper costumes. How many of these humans have been blown to bits in all the other episodes?
I don't know that any of those three were made into movies.

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2017, 07:26:49 PM »

There are all sorts of trouble I have with the survival types.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2017, 08:03:19 PM »

I don't know that any of those three were made into movies.

I am not a big Star Wars fan, but I am thinking of the character of Finn in "The Force Awakens," were we see (for the first time?) the poor-shooting human behind the mask, and it happens to be a black guy. Assumption mine that there are other humans (likely black) behind the other masks?
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2017, 08:07:31 PM »
Why just humans?

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2017, 08:10:22 PM »
Why just humans?
Because the Empire was racist bigots and enslaved all non-human races.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2017, 08:29:52 PM »
Why just humans?
Because the Empire was racist bigots and enslaved all non-human races.
Sounds like they'd make great stormtroopers then.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2017, 11:01:49 PM »
Clone-wars era clone troopers were all clones of Jango Fett, played by Temuera Morrison, who is of Māori descent.  As Jeremy's Sea said, although it's no longer canon, in Legends books the Empire restricted the ranks of storm troopers to humans only.  I think we know less about First Order storm troopers, but as officers and technicians appear all to be human I think it's safe to assume that Storm Troopers are, as well.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2017, 07:17:16 AM »
Clone-wars era clone troopers were all clones of Jango Fett, played by Temuera Morrison, who is of Māori descent.  As Jeremy's Sea said, although it's no longer canon, in Legends books the Empire restricted the ranks of storm troopers to humans only.  I think we know less about First Order storm troopers, but as officers and technicians appear all to be human I think it's safe to assume that Storm Troopers are, as well.
So where does the First Order keep the creche?

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2017, 08:44:49 AM »
Careful with absolutes. Even in barter economies in the Stone Age some form of "agreed upon value" currencies could be found.

I know and I though about that.

Still, I have also read that some of the gold hordes found in Europe were due to it losing value and basically being worthless for a time - basically just buried as a result.
Never heard that story.  I have heard burial cache's and the occasional hiding from raiders, never getting rid of worthless trash. 

I don't think its that hard to pick a few things that a post collapse society would value.  Guns and ammo are probably high on the list.  Protection and hunting.   Gasoline for as long as it works, which I understand isn't that long, 2 years maybe.  Food and drink and useful skills would all do you well. 

Didn't Finn explain that he was kidnapped as a baby and raised by the first order to be soldier?

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2017, 10:10:20 AM »
The current gold value basis in the US conservative world is dependent on a dystopian future where the denominating parties (the governments, especially the US) collapse. I have Mormon friends into this, as well as the year's worth of food. My view is that, if we reach that point, you will also need quite the arsenal to defend yourself and your family, and even that would likely not be enough.

But then, when I read dystopian novels, I think they are all too optimistic. It will be worse than the bad that most of them portray.

This is what I always tell the survivalist types. If there's an earthquake and infrastructure is wiped out locally for a short time, that hoard of food will allow you to keep yourself and your neighbors alive for a few weeks, and they'll appreciate it and do you a favor in return some day, or even pay to replenish the food. But in a total economic collapse there will be riots and looting, and eventually militias fighting other militias and robbing everybody else.

John gives Joe guns in return for food, and Joe uses those guns to kill John and take back the food. Mad Max will seem like a utopia compared with the reality. The living will envy the dead. Eventually the human race, greatly reduced in size, will revert to the stone age if someone doesn't set off the nukes first and sterilize the surface of the planet.

If there is a total economic collapse, it will be nothing like what the survivalists imagine. I am uncharacteristically optimistic, in that I expect a slow and gradual decline rather than a sudden collapse.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain
personate-rain