Author Topic: Interesting intercept article on terrorsm and Islam  (Read 229 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Interesting intercept article on terrorsm and Islam
« on: April 06, 2017, 09:46:47 PM »
I don't know how much I trust the title but it is an interesting read

https://theintercept.com/2017/03/29/you-shouldnt-blame-islam-for-terrorism-religion-isnt-a-crucial-factor-in-attacks/

You Shouldn’t Blame Islam for Terrorism. Religion Isn’t a Crucial Factor in Attacks.

What do you think of when you hear the word “terrorist”? Big beards and brown skins? Turban-wearing Muslim migrants from the Middle East? Refugees maybe?

Yet according to a report from the New America Foundation, “every jihadist who conducted a lethal attack inside the United States since 9/11 was a citizen or legal resident.” A recent study in Britain, which last week endured its worst terrorist atrocity since 2005, revealed that more than two out of three “Islamism-inspired” terrorist offenses were carried out by individuals “who were either born or raised in the UK.”

The common stereotype of the Middle Eastern, Muslim-born terrorist is not just lazy and inaccurate, but easy fodder for the anti-immigrant, anti-Islam far right. Consider the swift reaction of White House official Sebastian Gorka to the horrific terror attack in London last week. “The war is real,” he told Fox News while the bodies of the victims were still warm, “and that’s why executive orders like President Trump’s travel moratorium are so important.”
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Interesting intercept article on terrorsm and Islam
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 07:59:42 AM »
What matters is how they end up with the motivations that they have. Things like this travel ban is the wrong approach and a big waste of resources, but I wouldn't go out of my way to say that religion and Islam in particular is not a significant factor.

I see religions as similar to other major pseudoscientific movements, and that there's plenty of potential for the systematic deceptions and errors to lead to people directly causing harm through their actions.

And it could be that religion causes "issues of identity and belonging; a sense of persecution; mental illness; socio-economic grievances; moral outrage over conflict and torture; a craving for glory and purpose". You could go expand this list with more things explained with "that's not religion, it's this thing that can exist independently of religion", and end up with religion being nothing.

It's part of the whole, it's a major part of culture, it influences culture and is influenced by culture. The impression I get from articles like this is that there is a drive to remove all blame from a specific religion, similar to the drive others have to blame all harm on a specific religion.

personate-rain