Author Topic: Flash player question  (Read 366 times)

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Flash player question
« on: April 07, 2017, 09:08:55 PM »
I just updated Chrome (by clicking on the little green arrow and letting it re-launch). When it opened, there were two tabs, both telling me that my Flash player "might be out of date" and offering to download an up-to-date version. This has happened before when I've updated Chrome. What's the deal? Are these messages coming from Chrome? Why two different tabs both saying basically the same thing but with slightly different words and slightly different graphics? Should I download and install Flash?

OS is El Capitan 10.11.5.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Flash player question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 09:14:52 PM »
Always update Flash Player when an update's available—or better yet just let it auto-update.  Shit's a nightmare, security-wise.  Safari does a good job, now, of refusing to run Flash without your express permission and trying to force sites to deliver content via HTML5 when possible.  Flash has long outlived its usefulness, and needs to die a quick but hopefully very painful death.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 08:51:13 AM »
Would it be better to disable it entirely, and if so, is there a way to do that in Chrome and/or El Capitan? Some content would not function, but if it's a security risk, that might be worth it.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 08:55:21 AM »
P.S. How do I know if I even have Flash Player on my computer? A quick browse in Finder, I cannot find any folders named Adobe or Flash.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 09:00:17 AM »
P.P.S.

I found this web page:

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/is-flash-installed

which tells me that Flash Player is not installed in my Chrome browser. Considering that you say it's a security nightmare, and I don't seem to have missed it until now, I just won't install it. Thanks.

ETA: It's not on my copy of Safari either.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 09:03:53 AM »
I found this web page

That page relies on Flash being installed and enabled. If Chrome disabled Flash when it gave you the out-of-date message it would now show on that page as not being installed even though you may have been using it.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 11:01:57 AM »
Hmmmm!!! I checked again. One test site still says I don't have Flash installed. The other site, which an hour ago said I don't, now says I do. So I went into Chrome settings and found that it was set to "Ask first before allowing sites to run Flash." I changed it to "Block."
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 06:01:01 PM »
Hmmmm!!! I checked again. One test site still says I don't have Flash installed. The other site, which an hour ago said I don't, now says I do. So I went into Chrome settings and found that it was set to "Ask first before allowing sites to run Flash." I changed it to "Block."

Sounds like a good solution. Makes it relatively safe while still having the ability to enable it if you need it without having to reinstall. The "ask first" option is also good if you want to see how many sites you use actually rely on it - the notification is usually unobtrusive and defaults to not using it if you ignore it.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 07:00:32 PM »

Sounds like a good solution. Makes it relatively safe while still having the ability to enable it if you need it without having to reinstall. The "ask first" option is also good if you want to see how many sites you use actually rely on it - the notification is usually unobtrusive and defaults to not using it if you ignore it.

I think the question is basically answered: It was set on "Ask..." and I can't remember it ever asking. Now it's set on Block. The next time a web site seems like it should have a video, and the video doesn't play, I'll know maybe there's one that needed it. Come to think of it, I think maybe one time I got a message that something needed Flash. I didn't care enough to bother trying to get it.

I still wonder about the double prompt from Chrome, wanting me to update it. It was actually the double prompt that made me wonder if there was something fishy happening.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 07:47:57 PM »
Flash is becoming, thankfully, much less common on the web.  For that we have Steve Jobs to thank.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain
personate-rain