Author Topic: Can you Frisson just by thinking about it?  (Read 291 times)

Offline tellus

• Brand New
Can you Frisson just by thinking about it?
« on: April 08, 2017, 09:32:27 AM »
In recent episodes (Episode #612 and Episode #611), Frissoning and ASMR were discussed, and Steve mentioned that it might be difficult to induce a "Frisson" experience in a loud environment, such as an MRI, for the purposes of figuring out what's going on.  I just want to point out that some people can frisson just by thinking about it (I'm one of them), and furthermore, we tend to describe the process in the same way.  For me it's like a muscle I can flex, or a gland, in the middle of my brain, and it sends shivers and goosebumps through the body.

All that might sound a bit strange.  The whole experience is very synesthetic for an otherwise scientific guy like me...  It's as though I can see or imagine what's going on in my skull while I'm inducing the effect.  It's possible to induce it over and over again and get in a very focused, meditative state.  I can't explain why I don't do it more, because it's pretty relaxing. 

It occurs to me that people who can do this whenever they want are the ones that belong in the MRI - that way you don't have to pipe Tosca into their earbuds.  I had a brief discussion about this on social media last year, and most people in my readership couldn't self-induce the experience, which led me to recognize the possibility that the researchers may not know that such people exist.  Such people weren't mentioned in the synopsis of the study on the shows, either.  I've not read the studies yet.

Can anyone else on the forum do this? I wonder if it's as simple as directing someone to concentrate on that area of the brain and send it a command, which is all I think I'm doing...

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Can you Frisson just by thinking about it?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 11:11:35 PM »
Frisson is not a verb.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 11:23:26 PM »
Closest I can get is manipulating tingling-sensation around in my spine.

I wonder if there's any formal study of mentally induced phenomena?
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Online Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 02:27:32 AM »
You can "make a strong feeling of excitement" just by thinking about it? Ok... that doesn't seem like anything.

What are you talking about? Can you define "frisson" better?
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline tellus

• Brand New
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 10:08:25 AM »
"What are you talking about? Can you define "frisson" better?"

Frisson, in the context of ASMR (and the self-induced/actuated sensation I'm thinking of) is like a shiver response, with goosebumps, and with a kind of mental component as well (which can be brought about by listening to great music).  Whether there's more or less to it for anyone else, I can't be sure.

Shivering, or experiencing something like a "cold sweat" without being cold or feverish.  And in this case, just by telling your body to do something that is normally brought on by some kind of stimuli...

While I was researching "shivering" I found https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisson, which I don't think is in conflict with what I wrote above.  It's been spoken about 3 times that I know of on SGU.

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 10:36:13 AM »
Yes I can. Like Soldier of Fortran, right around my spine, then it travels toward my head and arms.

Online Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 05:47:18 PM »
"What are you talking about? Can you define "frisson" better?"

Frisson, in the context of ASMR (and the self-induced/actuated sensation I'm thinking of) is like a shiver response, with goosebumps, and with a kind of mental component as well (which can be brought about by listening to great music).  Whether there's more or less to it for anyone else, I can't be sure.

Shivering, or experiencing something like a "cold sweat" without being cold or feverish.  And in this case, just by telling your body to do something that is normally brought on by some kind of stimuli...

While I was researching "shivering" I found https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisson, which I don't think is in conflict with what I wrote above.  It's been spoken about 3 times that I know of on SGU.

Thanks for the explanation, my quick googling just turned up the definition I posted above.

Yeah, I can totally do that with some reliability if I stretch a certain way, and especially when I'm peeing.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

personate-rain
personate-rain