Author Topic: Relief for headaches caused by High Pressure  (Read 164 times)

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
Relief for headaches caused by High Pressure
« on: April 10, 2017, 11:42:57 AM »
For the last several years my wife has suffered from migraines and regular headaches. We seem to have identified one of  her major triggers as rising and/or high barometric pressure. Basically, if the pressure hits 30 inches of mercury or higher she's very likely to get at least a significant headache (around a 4/10 on the pain scale) and often will get a bad migraine.

Obviously this is beyond frustrating because it's weather. There's no  "well just cut that out of your life" the way we could if it was a food or an action etc.

Anyone have any thoughts on things that might work? Note: Moving is not an option.

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Relief for headaches caused by High Pressure
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 11:46:43 AM »
For the last several years my wife has suffered from migraines and regular headaches. We seem to have identified one of  her major triggers as rising and/or high barometric pressure. Basically, if the pressure hits 30 inches of mercury or higher she's very likely to get at least a significant headache (around a 4/10 on the pain scale) and often will get a bad migraine.

Obviously this is beyond frustrating because it's weather. There's no  "well just cut that out of your life" the way we could if it was a food or an action etc.

Anyone have any thoughts on things that might work? Note: Moving is not an option.

The two places in the head that are susceptible to pressure issues are the sinuses and the inner ear. A good dose of decongestant early on might help. If not a visit to an ENT may be in order. There are procedures (like tubes in the ears) that can help.

(I've had family members with similar issues.)
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 12:09:23 PM »
I had the opposite problem for years. The only form of migraine I would get was when a LOW pressure area was right over the town, and these are common in Iowa when storm fronts move through.

Not wanting to take more powerful migraine meds, my common relief was to take two regular ibuprophens two "PM" ibuprophens, turn off all the lights, shut the shades, and go to bed. I used a face mask with menthol oil heated in the microwave and wore that to try to clear the sinuses.

And then the problem went away at about age 62.

Oddly, my closest friend, the same age as me, suffered from classic cluster headaches for years, requiring the emergency self-administered shots, and even was suicidal at points. At age 62, the headaches disappeared.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 01:41:45 PM »
Estockly's suggestion to see an ENT sounds like a good one.

My step-mother suffered from migraines. Eventually she discovered that caffeine helped. Your wife might try a strong coffee or espresso, with or without an OTC analgesic. Or one of the OTC analgesics that includes caffeine.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain