Author Topic: Stealing Aviation terms for other activities - Get-There-Itis?  (Read 251 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
I was discussing a court case where there was an accident. I think the whole incident could have been avoided if those involved made alternate plans.  There is a term in aviation called "Get There Itis"

The determination of a pilot to reach a destination even when conditions for flying are very dangerous.

I was thinking that many driving deaths and deaths in boating could be described similarly. I am wondering if the term should therefore be adopted more widely
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Stealing Aviation terms for other activities - Get-There-Itis?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 07:56:26 PM »
Sounds reasonable.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 08:06:37 PM »
Push On fever is usually bad news
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 12:24:19 AM »
I was discussing a court case where there was an accident. I think the whole incident could have been avoided if those involved made alternate plans.  There is a term in aviation called "Get There Itis"

The determination of a pilot to reach a destination even when conditions for flying are very dangerous.

I was thinking that many driving deaths and deaths in boating could be described similarly. I am wondering if the term should therefore be adopted more widely

As a pilot, a member of a minority transportation population, I am opposed to the appropriation of our terms by the majority automobile driver culture.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 01:12:43 AM »
I alway  can tell when a pilot is heading home. The Wing would have to be falling off before he writes anything up.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 03:14:27 PM »
Would it be sort of the same idea behind the sunk costs fallacy? We've already invested in getting there, so it's better to keep going than not.

Offline sealcove

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 06:40:05 AM »
Perhaps this specific phrase has origins in aviation, but the sentiment is certainly more broad. I knew and used get-there-itis (or a close variation) when it came to sailing and climbing, long before I became a pilot.

Offline Shibboleth

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 12:58:34 PM »
Drive to Survive, and Turn Around Don't Drown are two that I can think of in the driving world to combat this.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

personate-rain
personate-rain