Author Topic: Natural Sedatives  (Read 176 times)

Offline Clangador

• Off to a Start
  • Slave to Reality
Natural Sedatives
« on: April 12, 2017, 03:48:26 AM »
Are there any natural sedatives I can take to help me fall asleep at night? I'm starting a new job and I usually can't fall asleep very well the night before. Any suggestions are welcome.
~Clangador
(The most famous non-famous poster on the internet.)

"We wish to pursue the truth no matter where it leads. But to find the truth, we need imagination and skepticism both."
Carl Sagan

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Natural Sedatives
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 04:22:15 AM »
What exactly do you define as "natural", and why do you want that specifically? What is it you think being "natural" would do vs a "non-natural" sedative?

Generally the opinion youre going to get here on these forums is that a processed, refined, and carefully studied medication is going to be safer, more effective, and have less side effects than an unprocessed and/or unstudied "natural" remedy that is by definition going to be harder to control dosage and concentration; and that the idea something is better simply because it is natural is a logical fallacy common enough to have its own name.

You'll need to provide more details about why you want what you want if youre to get any helpful responses.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Clangador

• Off to a Start
  • Slave to Reality
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 04:23:58 AM »
Maybe I should say an over the counter sleeping aid.
~Clangador
(The most famous non-famous poster on the internet.)

"We wish to pursue the truth no matter where it leads. But to find the truth, we need imagination and skepticism both."
Carl Sagan

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 11:41:37 AM »
Here in WA and a few other states, pot is over-the-counter, and it helps some people sleep. But I'd say that since all drugs have side effects, and few if any sleep aids really give you a restful, full night's sleep, and the more effective ones are likely to be habit-forming, your best bet would be non-medical lifestyle changes. Get enough exercise and avoid a heavy meal too late in the day. Relaxation exercises might help as well. Meditation might help. The kind you can read about on line, not the kind you pay a guru for. Like counting to 4, over and over again, very slowly, or concentrating on being aware of your breath. That kind of thing. Or reading a very dull book.  ;) 
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 07:50:00 PM »
I'm using my sleep-tracking app to determine whether I get better sleep on the nights where I drink camomile tea before going to bed. Camomile is supposed to help you sleep but so far I haven't seen any significant improvement in my sleep quality. In fact, it's currently showing -4%, but it's not entirely clear exactly what that means.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 07:52:24 PM by arthwollipot »