Author Topic: Net Neutrality ?  (Read 596 times)

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
Re: Net Neutrality ?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2017, 10:10:38 AM »
The way to solve this issue is antitrust against ISPs, not net neutrality.  Keep the FCC's grubby hands off the internet!

Por Que No Los Dos?

Because there are no downsides to breaking up these effective monopolies (for consumers and citizens).  There are with allowing the FCC to have direct regulatory power over internet traffic.  Even if you want both, do the anti-trust stuff first!
Banned from both Hacker News and the xkcd forum.

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2017, 12:20:42 PM »
"Breaking up" a facilities based monopoly is nowhere near as simple as some describe.  Apart from wholesale agreements, which are already in place due to the Telcom act of 1996, the only way to have true network competition is to retrench the last mile to each home, which is a HUGELY expensive proposition.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2017, 12:39:54 PM »
The way to solve this issue is antitrust against ISPs, not net neutrality.  Keep the FCC's grubby hands off the internet!

Por Que No Los Dos?

Because there are no downsides to breaking up these effective monopolies (for consumers and citizens).  There are with allowing the FCC to have direct regulatory power over internet traffic.  Even if you want both, do the anti-trust stuff first!

I think you are overstating both the lack of downsides and the direct regulatory power.  Also, if I had my way the FTC, and other consumer agencies, would have other methods of redress besides antitrust.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

personate-rain