Author Topic: Were any of these therapies I just received not pseudoscientific? (Low back pain  (Read 504 times)

Offline God Bomb

• Not Enough Spare Time
Just to clarify the electric suction cup wasn't really cupping.  The suction cup just held it in place while they passed an electric current into the skin.  But it wasn't like those pulsed currents that make the muscle flex, it was just a constant tingling.  I don't even know what this is called.
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Just to clarify the electric suction cup wasn't really cupping.  The suction cup just held it in place while they passed an electric current into the skin.  But it wasn't like those pulsed currents that make the muscle flex, it was just a constant tingling.  I don't even know what this is called.

Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation (TENS).  I understand that it helps mask pain while it's applied (though the evidence is mixed), but I'm pretty sure its use to promote healing is BS.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.

Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation (TENS).  I understand that it helps mask pain while it's applied (though the evidence is mixed), but I'm pretty sure its use to promote healing is BS.
It helps promote healing only to the extent that the patient feels less pain and thus less stress...

They put one on my and I convulsed. Not what they were expecting.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline HanEyeAm

• Not Enough Spare Time
What was the condition being treated? LBP is a reimbursable diagnosis by itself I think but the validity of a treatment is condition-specific, e.g., sprain, herniated disc, radiculopathy, etc.  So are we talking neuropathic pain, inflammation, muscle soreness, etc.? I don't know the answer regarding these treatments, but my thinking starts there.

I can't imagine why all those treatments in a session would be appropriate, unless they were able to bill each one separately, in which case perhaps they were quite motivated to find reasons.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline HanEyeAm

• Not Enough Spare Time
The VA had an "alternative medicine" clinic at their Danville, ILL., facility back in the '90s. Don't know if they still have it, but no other facility that I've been to offered such "treatment". I agreed to talk to the "doctors" there, basically to shut up my PC . I guess he had to push it because he was told to do so. The chiroquackter wanted to try some "adjustments", I said no. He said, "okay, let me test your tension." Then he twisted my spine. I advised him his child-producing days were over if he tried that again. I also let the accupuncturist have a go, because I knew it was harmless, just irritating.  I didn't go back.

VA has a new push for offering CAM treatments for chronic pain. Opioids are too dangerous and providers are desperate to find ways to offer relief.

VA research funding is helping contribute (or refuting) the evidence base of new treatments.

Some are a bit hokey, IMO, but many are wellness-based and (generally) at worst wastes the patient's time and even if doesn't help the pain may improve well-being. Common ones are TENS, yoga, Qi Gong, accupuncture, tai chi, music therapy, relaxation... Treatments are interdisciplinary, involving MDs, psychologists, and a variety of therapists and sometimes chiropractors. I think the interdisciplinary approach helps minimize the introduction of fringe treatment approaches. Not to say there is great research on this stuff, but it is getting better and patients seem to feel supported and aren't ODing/selling/getting hooked on opioids when engaged.

personate-rain