Author Topic: Episode #614  (Read 1151 times)

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: Episode #614
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 07:00:15 PM »
... I still don't get how seasons work on a flat earth.

It's due to sinusoidal fluctuations in the flogistan.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 09:23:57 PM »

Phlogiston.

Offline DamoET

• Off to a Start
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2017, 10:01:22 PM »

[/quote]
I still don't get how seasons work on a flat earth.
[/quote]

Our seasons are dictated by the angle that the sun shines on our local position of the sphere of the earth.  So at my latitude of 36deg south, summer would have the sun closest to overhead, 36deg minus the 23deg for the tilt of the earth, so something around 13deg from directly overhead on the 22nd(ish) December.  That angle directly effects the amount of energy gets through the atmosphere, the steeper the angle, the less energy lost.
  So hypothetically, a flat earth with arrangement like the FE believe could have seasons, BUT, the seasons would massively different at different latitudes (on their Earth.

Damo
Do not fear God, fear ignorance.  For ignorance will lead you to fearing 'God' (and a whole bunch of other whacky shit!)

Offline DamoET

• Off to a Start
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2017, 10:02:38 PM »

On a side note, my brother decided he was going to remove the globe that was on the shelf in his sons bedroom, and place a poster of ^^^^^ on the pantry wall. ::)

Damo
Do not fear God, fear ignorance.  For ignorance will lead you to fearing 'God' (and a whole bunch of other whacky shit!)

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2017, 10:19:13 PM »
I'd totally put a poster of that up on my wall.

But I wouldn't try to tell kids that it was real.

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2017, 07:08:29 AM »

Wow.

Im going to assume even flat earthers arent silly enough to all use a map like that. Firstly, its clearly not a flat earth. Secondly... with the layout of that map you could straight up build a telescope and point it see directly from canada to south america. It can be proven or disproven with basic backyard stargazing equipment.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2017, 08:19:16 AM »
So are flat-Earthers South Pole expedition deniers? Not that it would be any worse of a denial than the rest of it.

Offline DamoET

• Off to a Start
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2017, 09:06:22 AM »

Wow.

Im going to assume even flat earthers arent silly enough to all use a map like that. Firstly, its clearly not a flat earth. Secondly... with the layout of that map you could straight up build a telescope and point it see directly from canada to south america. It can be proven or disproven with basic backyard stargazing equipment.

(First hand experience)  The more questions you ask, the messier it gets!  They can be 'that' reality challenged.  That is the very image my brother has.

Believe it.  That's the whole idea of a 'vanishing point', the place in which you can't see past because of 'light lensing'. ::)

The literal flat earth was never going to work, because as the sun doesn't pass behind/below the horizon and is something like 5000km above the surface of the Earth, if there wasn't a central peak on the surface the sun would be visible all the time.

Damo

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2017, 11:46:41 AM »

Phlogiston.

No, that was debunked long ago. This is different.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain