Author Topic: 11 Reasons Why People Need To Stop Romanticizing Childbirth  (Read 190 times)

Offline Nemmzy

• Keeps Priorities Straight
11 Reasons Why People Need To Stop Romanticizing Childbirth
« on: April 15, 2017, 10:46:30 AM »
I think this is a great example of "what's the harm"? Child birth woo is shockingly common amoung women in my social circle educated, middle class, older mothers (late 20s to late 30s). Not only can this emphasis on 'natural' birth lead to medical complications it can lead new moms feeling they are failing from day one.

https://www.romper.com/p/11-reasons-why-people-need-to-stop-romanticizing-childbirth-49409

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
Re: 11 Reasons Why People Need To Stop Romanticizing Childbirth
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 05:17:23 PM »
A huge amount of the home birth stuff is how pricey hospital births are.
Banned from both Hacker News and the xkcd forum.

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
Re: 11 Reasons Why People Need To Stop Romanticizing Childbirth
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 05:49:57 PM »
One danger of the alternative birth practices is that it can place local medical facilities in legal jeopardy. We had to stop all obstetric services at our rural hospital because of a thriving midwife practice among the local Amish that landed two late-term problematic pregnancies in the hospital's lap.

I don't recall the details, but apparently there is a legal line between providing emergency services only versus basic obstetric care. After the two incidents, the insurer made the hospital limit care to "stabilize and transport" only to the city hospitals 70 miles away. Not a good outcome for anyone. One heroic doctor almost lost her licence over it, trying unsuccessfully to save a baby from a mother she had only seen
In the last week of pregnancy.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

personate-rain
personate-rain