Author Topic: Yes, I have a sick, sick mind.  (Read 110 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Yes, I have a sick, sick mind.
« on: May 27, 2017, 11:37:30 AM »
Someone should build a rollercoaster somewhere the laws are lax, or perhaps on a tropical island unclaimed by any nation and therefore not subject to any laws. It should be an extremely long ride, say, half an hour. It should be extremely fast with lots of loop-the-loops and twirls and extremely high towers from which the train drops vertically at terrifying speeds. It should be a long train, say maybe 100 seats. And on each run, one seat, chosen at random, would eject its passenger from any one of a number of very high spots, to fall to his or her death. Of course nobody would know which seat was going to eject its passenger, and in addition, since there would be multiple possible ejection points, nobody on the train would know when it was going to happen until it did. Being in a tropical climate, nobody would be allowed to board the train with anything but lightweight clothing. No way to bring a parachute. The ejection mechanism would be forceful enough that holding on tightly would not save you.

The ride would be advertised exactly as it was: guaranteed that one person will die on each run. Every person would be required to sign a waiver after reading it aloud, so there would be no possibility of someone going on the ride ignorant of the risk.

I wonder if people would go on this rollercoaster, the same way people climb Everest or K2, or do other high-risk adrenalin sports. It would be a death-risk activity for people who lack the physical fitness or coordination to engage in the more well-known ways of risking death for excitement. It could be installed at a tropical resort, and offered as an optional perk of the resort. One free ticket with each one-week stay at the resort, transferrable in case you don't want to use yours, or you want to go more than once. The survivors would get a t-shirt and a certificate.

Or, if you want to be really sick about it, don't tell anyone about the ejections. People would figure it out after the third or fourth run and word would spread. Would people flock to the resort to challenge the death ride? But no, I think you'd have to be up-front about it so that people would know it was just one death per run. You'd make a shitload of money selling live streaming video on the internet. A variation would be to make some runs with a shorter train, thus increasing each rider's chance of being the one to die. For super-thrill-seekers, run just one car with 8 or 10 people in it. If the internet revenues are high enough, the ride could be free and one person gets thrown to his or her death, and one survivor gets a million dollars. I wonder if people would ride, with one chance out of 50 or 100 that they'd die, and an equal chance that they'd win a million dollars. Maybe a million dollars to one person per ride would be more than the internet revenue could support, and it would have to be one million-dollar winner per month.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Yes, I have a sick, sick mind.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 12:43:36 PM »
The Los Angeles highway system isn't "entertaining" enough for you?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 01:11:47 PM »
Put a roller coaster skin around Russian Roulette and profit from it... ? Yes you do have a sick mind  >:D

Taking the premise as is, assuming this sees it's way through the legal hurdles and gets built, I think people would ride. But you might have enough people to fill a 100-seat coaster every couple months, not every day. (Running a ten-seat coaster more frequently where there's a ninety percent chance no one dies per ride just doesn't have the same psychological satisfaction does it?)
I think you'd get a few repeat customers, people whose exact kink this is and who will try to out-do each other at how many times they can survive it.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 07:21:01 PM »
The ten-seat coaster would still have to have one ejection per ride, increasing your chances of death to 10%. But then, people attempt to climb K2, where you have to climb through a constant rock fall, knowing that no matter what you do, a rock could come down and kill you.

The difference between this and Russian Roulette (other than the 1 chance in 6 of death, assuming a six-shot revolver) is that with Russian Roulette you don't get the experience of several seconds of flying through the air knowing you are going to die, before you go splat, and the viewers of Russian Roulette don't get to watch you fly through the air screaming, first in real time, then in slow motion, and then replayed full speed in close-up with a directional mike to pick up your screams.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 07:24:23 PM »
The Los Angeles highway system isn't "entertaining" enough for you?

No, just frustrating and annoying, while breathing smog. But the fact that people continue to live in L.A. suggests that there should be no shortage of takers for my rollercoaster. After all, the air would be clean. ;D
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 09:07:12 AM »
What happens if more than the one person dies?

Every person would be required to sign a waiver after reading it aloud, so there would be no possibility of someone going on the ride ignorant of the risk.

I see where you're going there, but it might have to be more thorough than that. Especially since it's a group activity there's a lot of potential for being pushed into doing it.

I think there would be a market for it, as there are people who take huge risks like you mentioned. As well as suicidal people who might want to do something like this as a way of rolling the dice and going with it. But depending on the ethics behind the rig they might be ruled out as participants. Although why exclude them, if you're not going to exclude people who are in it for the thrill of it?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 09:18:24 AM by 2397 »

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 01:12:35 PM »
Some of the above is why it would be located in a place with lax laws or no laws. As long as each person riding knows the risks I would not judge their motivations. If you're dumb enough to allow your friends to talk you into it, you're dumb enough to enter the Darwin lottery. No age limit either. If you can say "I know that someone on this ride will die, and it could be me" then you can ride. There could be the occasional error. Two people die instead of one. The answer to that would be "What the fuck did you expect? It's a death ride. Kids do stupid things all the time. Computers screw up."

Revised plan: No guarantee that only one person will be ejected. On some runs one person gets ejected near the start, so everyone thinks they're safe, and then a second person is ejected from the last high point. After that, nobody ever thinks they're entirely safe until they're actually off the ride. But an effort would be made to keep it to one per ride. Except for special runs, properly advertised as such, on which some larger number of people would be ejected. And special suicide runs, where everyone gets ejected, but in random order.

So now the waiver says "I know that at least one person on this ride will die, and it could be me." You can say it in English, German, French, Spanish, Russian, Hindi, Japanese, Arabic, Korean, Mandarin, or Cantonese. If you cannot speak any of those languages you're probably not traveling to an expensive tropical resort. Advance arrangements could be made for other languages on request and at additional cost. Or you could learn to mouth the words.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain