Author Topic: Sci-Fi story help  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Sci-Fi story help
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2017, 06:54:28 PM »
I need a bit of help with calculating something
Assume that a G class star usually has its wormholes at 5 light hours
If we assume that it is based on the forces of the sun's gravity at Pluto orbit, any way to calculate it for other star classes?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2017, 08:30:19 AM »
Question with a boarding party - Assuming that said ship enters a system and is boarded, how heavily armed would the boarding party be?
I can see going a lot of different ways - just uniform with side arm up to wearing vacuum suits with clam shell armor over the top and carrying carbines (heavy personal are electromagnetic projectile weapons).
The system that the ship is in has unfriendly neighbors but at least pretends civility.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2017, 06:50:05 PM »
Question with a boarding party - Assuming that said ship enters a system and is boarded, how heavily armed would the boarding party be?
I can see going a lot of different ways - just uniform with side arm up to wearing vacuum suits with clam shell armor over the top and carrying carbines (heavy personal are electromagnetic projectile weapons).
The system that the ship is in has unfriendly neighbors but at least pretends civility.
Grey Lensman has some heavy-duty boarding party action. The opening scenes from "Star Wars E. IV" goes the light-weight route. "Harlock: Space Pirate" does the anime proud. "Star Trek: Beyond" has the Big E being boarded by armored spacy whosits.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2017, 08:54:56 PM »
I should have specified that it is a system navy doing the boarding and is it at least suppose to be a friendly boarding.
US Customs boarding foreign vessels is usually only armed with a sidearm and Coast guard may or not be armed when boarding.
I went with the sidearm and vacuum suit direction.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2017, 09:20:57 PM »

Yeah Id be inclined towards either sidearms only, or a diplomatic type official who is unarmed/sidearm with an armed "guard", but with more firepower on either the boarding vessel or other vessel in the vicinity in case things go bad.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2017, 04:16:23 AM »

Yeah Id be inclined towards either sidearms only, or a diplomatic type official who is unarmed/sidearm with an armed "guard", but with more firepower on either the boarding vessel or other vessel in the vicinity in case things go bad.

In this case, you have the destroyer sitting back with big guns backing up the customs shuttles.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2017, 09:55:23 AM »

In this case, you have the destroyer sitting back with big guns backing up the customs shuttles.
Is there a downside as well?  >:D
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2017, 12:31:45 PM »
I was going to say if you were looking to steal someone's spaceship, I'd try to vent their entire atmosphere first.

If they're boarding to inspect, and need to be prepared for a violent confrontation, then I think that that would be a likely approach for either side to take. Firing at the ship at strategic points, or releasing the trigger to evacuate the atmosphere in the relevant areas. Even if they're in suits, they're going to be left extremely vulnerable to anything that can puncture it.

Would their sidearms be equally usable within and without an atmosphere?

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2017, 02:39:35 PM »
First off, you do realize that I could shoot a modern firearm just fine in space?
The complete round has its own oxidizer
http://www.livescience.com/18588-shoot-gun-space.html

Military weapons though tend to be electromagnetic projectile weapons which fire at much higher velocities than modern weapons. I don't have lasers or "ray guns" however. Ships use particle beams and missiles, no lasers either.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2017, 02:55:31 PM »
Sure. It wasn't a rhetorical question.

Though specifically shooting a gun is one aspect of it, and there might be reasons why you would have different sets of weapons. Some that may become apparent over time rather than with each shot. And maybe there are circumstances where you wouldn't want to be shooting projectiles at all.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2017, 03:04:14 PM »

Though specifically shooting a gun is one aspect of it, and there might be reasons why you would have different sets of weapons. Some that may become apparent over time rather than with each shot. And maybe there are circumstances where you wouldn't want to be shooting projectiles at all.

As far putting holes in the hull, that is a risk, but you could plug the hole with something like that spray foam you use for household tasks. The formula might be a little different but it would be similar.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2017, 03:07:19 PM »

As far putting holes in the hull, that is a risk, but you could plug the hole with something like that spray foam you use for household tasks. The formula might be a little different but it would be similar.
Or carry rolls of carbon fiber with adhesive on it.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2017, 03:23:32 PM »

In any case, far easier to patch than a navy ship at sea.
Ever go to USS Buttercup?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2017, 04:41:11 PM »

In any case, far easier to patch than a navy ship at sea.
Ever go to USS Buttercup?
I did firefighting in Norfolk, wayyyyyy back when. DC training was at Gitmo.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2017, 05:30:49 PM »
I will say that writing before word processors must have been interesting.

Some of what I have been writing starts out as just a description. I then decide to change it and allow the stuff to be introduced as conversation.  Doing that with a typewriter must have been interesting.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain