Author Topic: Episode #615  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #615
« on: April 22, 2017, 08:36:10 AM »
What’s the Word: Reovirus; News Items: Moisture Extinction, Life Without Oxygen, Mind Reading Hype, Alex Jones – Performance Artist; Who’s That Noisy; Your Questions and E-mails: Processed Food; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
Re: Episode #615
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 07:37:14 PM »
The minute I heard the quote today, I immediately thought of "Unweaving The Rainbow", which Steve later alluded to. It's the title of a book by Richard Dawkins, and and I thought it was his phrase.
"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •
"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 01:12:49 AM »
What the hell is a hickamaroll?

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 03:32:57 AM »

Cara probably said Jicama Rolls.

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 04:55:21 AM »

Rick Astley playing a banjo?

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 05:37:28 AM »
I don't mean to single out Cara, they probably all signed off on the script. But again they're using this sort of line; "You've heard us talk about [sponsor] before. We're talking about it again because we're such big fans". Why lie?

Well done placing that ad almost immediately after Evan said "Think marketing, that is all".

Offline NorwegianHobbit

• Brand New
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 06:03:38 AM »
Good episode, but the insert of sound bites are really noticeable. Early on when Steven gives Mammuts as an example of something, a couple of others examples are clearly pasted in in post. It's as if Steven only could remember one example when they recorded then went back in and inserted more after the show was done. Kinda funny ^^

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 06:20:52 AM »

Okay, what the hell is a Jicama Roll?

Offline Psax

• Brand New
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 08:49:20 AM »

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 02:43:48 PM »

Okay, what the hell is a Jicama Roll?

Jicama is a root vegetable popular in Mexico and probably elsewhere. It is white (on the inside), crunchy, and slightly sweet.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 02:44:43 PM »
I thought that last week's WTN was L. Ron Hubbard. "I am perfect..." etc.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 02:54:13 PM »
I have an issue with the statement in SoF that no other non-primates than pigeons teach learned behaviors to their offspring. I think it was BBC Earth, but maybe it was BBC Life (or both) that showed hunting behaviors practiced by only one pod of dolphins (in one case) or only one pod of orcas (in another). Clearly, the adults are teaching the young these hunting methods.

In one case, dolphins stir up the mud on the shallow ocean bottom creating a circular curtain. The fish inside perceive the muddy water as a barrier and they jump over it, into the mouths of the waiting dolphins. No other dolphins are known to do this. In another case, an orca mother was teaching her calf to swim into shallow water and make waves with her tail to wash young seals off the rocks, and into the water where she could catch them. Again, no others are known to do this.

We know that we can teach new behaviors to all sorts of animals. I have a problem believing that in the wild only primates and pigeons can teach their own offspring.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 07:35:01 PM »
Good episode, but the insert of sound bites are really noticeable. Early on when Steven gives Mammuts as an example of something, a couple of others examples are clearly pasted in in post. It's as if Steven only could remember one example when they recorded then went back in and inserted more after the show was done. Kinda funny ^^

I've been noticing those inserts, with a different noise level or a different tone to his voice. But I've also been wondering if it's a bit of a toupée fallacy, and maybe there are a bunch more that I don't notice.

He might not be trying to mask them, anyway, and is mainly concerned with filling in the information/making corrections where it's appropriate.

Offline randulo

• Brand New
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 12:23:36 PM »
I wonder if you've seen the last few episodes of Homeland that had an excellent parody of Alex Jones: "Brett O'Keefe" was played by Jake Weber.

Offline JuniorSpaceman

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 08:06:56 PM »
I wonder if you've seen the last few episodes of Homeland that had an excellent parody of Alex Jones: "Brett O'Keefe" was played by Jake Weber.
There's also a parody of him on the latest episodes of iZombie.

personate-rain