Author Topic: Seen it a dozen times, only now do I notice...  (Read 216 times)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Seen it a dozen times, only now do I notice...
« on: April 24, 2017, 04:11:43 PM »
...that Ian Malcolm goofed in "Jurassic Park: Lost World". When the Ingen choppers arrive at Site B he grabs the binocular to get a better look at them. However, he puts them up to his eyes backwards.  :P
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline seamas

• Well Established
Re: Seen it a dozen times, only now do I notice...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 06:28:43 PM »
It wasn't after a dozen viewings, but it was at least after 4 viewings that I saw the numbers on Maude's arm in Harold and Maude.
It is barely a second of screen time.
If they did a remake these days they would have to hit you over the head and show a 20 minute backstory/exposition.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 06:35:39 PM »
Never saw it. Blue ink with a string of numbers?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 09:32:22 PM »
One of the things about Jurassic Park that has always bugged me a little is that nowhere in the film does anyone explain the word Jurassic for the great unwashed masses not familiar with paleontology. Of course it also bugs me that most of the dinos in the picture are actually from the Cretaceous but I'll concede that Cretaceous Park doesn't roll off the tongue as well. And Stegosaurus is misspelled on the embryo vial.   

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 07:01:49 AM »
One of the things about Jurassic Park that has always bugged me a little is that nowhere in the film does anyone explain the word Jurassic for the great unwashed masses not familiar with paleontology. Of course it also bugs me that most of the dinos in the picture are actually from the Cretaceous but I'll concede that Cretaceous Park doesn't roll off the tongue as well. And Stegosaurus is misspelled on the embryo vial.
You don't remember the plethora of dino shows on TV at that time? Crichton rode that way, he wasn't the pioneer. To me it would have been lecturing to have spent time explaining the term in the movie, and Malcolm was bad enough.

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 10:53:47 AM »

A concentration camp tattoo.

It is seen a 1/2 second or so, and is a tremendous exposition for the character, but also tremendously understated.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 12:09:44 PM »

It is seen a 1/2 second or so, and is a tremendous exposition for the character, but also tremendously understated.
Yeah, blue ink. One of my profs at Purdue had one of those. Very tough gentleman.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 12:16:53 PM »

It's not really exposition if no one notices.  It's more of an Easter egg.  I don't remember seeing it, but it's cool.

Also, Auschwitz was apparently the only camp that did the tattoos.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 12:19:46 PM by Friendly Angel »
Amend and resubmit.

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 05:06:53 PM »

It's not really exposition if no one notices.  It's more of an Easter egg.  I don't remember seeing it, but it's cool.

Also, Auschwitz was apparently the only camp that did the tattoos.

I saw one once on a man's arm. Nice summer day walking around a seaside town. I glanced down and saw it and shivered. In general I find tattoos gross. Those tattoos are both gross and awe-striking.

My MiL's cousin had one. He survived because he was young and useful as a laborer.
After the war he moved to Israel, participated in the '48 war and then later he and his wife moved back to Germany.

I never got to meet him. Every time he visited the US I was never around. My wife spent time visiting him, she said he was full of life and joyful, but it wasn't uncommon for him to scream in his sleep.

personate-rain